Couples | Lance Bass | New Orleans | News

Lance Bass Describes How He Popped The Question to Michael Turchin in New Orleans: AUDIO

Bass

Yesterday Towleroad reported that Lance Bass became engaged to his boyfriend Michael 'Turkey' Turchin.

On a special Sunday edition of his SiriusXM show broadcast from The Bourbon Pub at New Orleans' Southern Decadence festival, Bass talked about how he popped the question, in front of the city's Jackson Square, his favorite spot in NoLa:

Well, [when we got there I find out that] they locked all the gates this weekend, and you can’t get into the park.  So we peeled off, and I told him we [had] to pick up [Dirty Pop/SiriusXM] producer Sam up…so as we were walking to ‘pick up Sam,’ I started talking about the last two and half years [and] I got down on one knee and I proposed, right in front of Jackson Square, my favorite place.  And it was great too because a couple just happened to see…I was down on one knee [for only about]…two seconds…right as I was about to propose, I was pretty nervous.”

It was great because this couple who had also proposed right at this same spot, they had just gotten married and said ‘We just saw you propose, can we please take your camera and take a picture [of you] on your knee?’ So I will have that for the rest of my life."

Listen to Bass tell his story, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Lance is looking more and more like a middle-aged lesbian. Sorry. It had to be said.

Posted by: colin | Sep 3, 2013 11:55:25 AM

2. You know a lot of people are really freaking obvious when they bash someone for being better than they are and are basically having a little tantrum online and acting like such a brat, it's almost always more telling of your insecurities than it is the validity of whatever you said.

That said, Lance Bass is ugly and that guy MUST be a famewhore or golddigger (Does Lance have any money) to want to hit that.

Posted by: Fenrox | Sep 3, 2013 11:56:45 AM

3. Yikes, the comments. ^^

Congrats Lance and Michael!

Posted by: Joel V | Sep 3, 2013 12:01:50 PM

4. Upon hearing of an engagement, most adults congratulate the couple and wish them a long, happy life together. And then there are jerks, unfortunately.

Posted by: John | Sep 3, 2013 12:02:13 PM

5. Actually, Colin, it didn't have to be said at all.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Sep 3, 2013 12:30:13 PM

6. What John said...

Posted by: Gary | Sep 3, 2013 12:51:41 PM

7. I don't think the so-called "negative" comments are jerky. Let's put this into perspective. Bass, who hasn't done anything of note - that I know of; please enlighten me if I'm wrong - except for fame-whoring himself out here and there like a dime-a-dozen Bravo reality housewife.

As for fame-whoring out his marriage proposal, is this really any more significant than Gay Al proposing to Star Jones, for example? I don't think so.

Posted by: colin | Sep 3, 2013 2:00:13 PM

8. It seems that most of the negativity comes from people who expect gay celebrities to be activists. Lance has always been more involved in environmental and animal charities than LGB ones. That pisses off the people who think that being gay should always be the most important facet of a multi-dimension human being.

As for Lance being a gay activist, I'm glad he doesn't take on that role. Not everyone is suited to make speeches and try to battle homophobes on TV news networks. (I'm an NSync fan, so I'm not trying to be mean.)

It's a no win situation, really. Those people that are mad that Lance isn't an activist probably would be the first to criticize him if he couldn't hold his own on TV when a NOM representative called him horrible names.

Posted by: alex | Sep 3, 2013 5:29:46 PM

9. No, Colin — it was a jerkish, looksist thing to say. No free pass for you.

Posted by: John | Sep 3, 2013 6:14:46 PM

10. So Lance was at Southern Decadence, eh?

Posted by: Buster | Sep 3, 2013 8:56:39 PM

11. If one would listen everyday to Dirty Pop on Sirius XM one would like grow to really be fans of Michael and Lance. They are both super nice guys. Lance never has to work another day in his life with his N'sync earnings but he has been working very very hard to bring a number of projects to fruition, several which are finally taking off this year. I think that is not a good photo of Lance and they are both make a very handsome couple.

Posted by: John | Sep 3, 2013 9:29:04 PM

12. Lance is FUGLY!

Posted by: Mike | Sep 3, 2013 11:42:57 PM

13. Why did I even click on this? Could not possibly care less.

Posted by: FFS | Sep 4, 2013 2:12:01 AM

14. Lot of hate on this page - and I get it. Lance is...what? A singer? Not anymore. Film producer? Yeah, that didn't work out. The gay community's Kim Kardashian? Sure looks like he's headed that way.

Posted by: Tom | Sep 4, 2013 8:19:35 PM