Ben Affleck | Jimmy Fallon | News | Superheroes

Ben Affleck Responds to Batman Backlash on Jimmy Fallon: VIDEO

Affleck

Ben Affleck sat down with Jimmy Fallon last night and talked about being cast as Batman opposite Henry Cavill in the upcoming Zach Snyder Batman vs. Superman film, and how producers tried to prepare him for the backlash they've seen on the internet whenever a new casting is announced.

Sais Affleck:  "I'm a big boy. They said just don't use the Internet for a couple of days. ... I handle s**t. I'm very tough. I saw the announcement, I look down on the first comment ... the first one just goes, 'Nooooooooo!'"

Affleck joked that he then told his kids: "We're gonna be luddites for a while."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I like Ben Affleck. He seems deeply committed to growing and to the quality of his work, and that commitment shows, imho, in the evolution of that work. With "Argo," he nailed it as both performer and Director. I'll bet he delivers something with this Batman iteration that surprises and resonates.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Sep 17, 2013 9:26:48 AM

2. ...okay...and I've sort of had a crush on him since "chasing amy" ;-)

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Sep 17, 2013 9:27:39 AM

3. Jimmy Fallon drives me crazy. He always talks over his guests... let them tell the damn story!

Posted by: johnnyP | Sep 17, 2013 9:48:08 AM

4. I though Argo was overrated, and his following movies were not very good. He'll make a great Batman and be involved in a big hit movie. Yay for Ben, Haters go away.

Posted by: David From Canada | Sep 17, 2013 9:51:07 AM

5. Maybe it's just me, but every time Ben Affleck cracks a grin, I just wanna lick his teeth. And Jimmy Fallon, every time he grins, I melt. Is that bad of me?

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Sep 17, 2013 10:07:59 AM

6. I remember Daniel Craig's backlash when he take the role of James Bond, it was mockery every day.
    Now nobody remember that because he owned the character.

Frankly this internet overreacting about an actor taking a role are a little pathetic

Posted by: jjose712 | Sep 17, 2013 10:16:01 AM

7. I think Ben will do fine. I also thought "Argo" was overrated. And people take Batman movies wayyyyyyy too seriously. It's a freaking comic book!

Posted by: AJ | Sep 17, 2013 10:17:23 AM

8. Yeah, got to love Ben. He'll be a fine Batman too. Really enjoyed The Town as well.

Posted by: Dave | Sep 17, 2013 10:33:21 AM

9. I like Affleck and must agree wholeheartedly with KILE OZIER's comment. I especially liked him in "Sum of All Fears", I think he did a good job as a young Ryan. I think he'll be fine as Batman. I'm sure it'll be better than "Daredevil"!

Posted by: Bob R | Sep 17, 2013 10:41:42 AM

10. What everybody said....

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 17, 2013 10:45:59 AM

11. I will admit, I had a negative reaction to his casting. But... he is pretty talented, and he has the right look for the role sooo... I'm going to try to be cautiously optimistic about it. Affleck has given us plenty of reasons to be highly skeptical, but enough reasons to make me think he *might* be able to pull it off.

Posted by: Lucas H | Sep 17, 2013 10:48:32 AM

12. I hate to admit it; I can rarely sit through an entire movie, but I made it through Argo and loved it. I doubt very much that I'll see this new Batman movie, but backlash against a casting decision? Seriously? People need to get lives.

Posted by: Butch | Sep 17, 2013 10:48:53 AM

13. Go Ben!

Posted by: Gigi | Sep 17, 2013 11:32:00 AM

14. Oh, and remember when Anne Rice had a cow because Tom Cruise was cast as Lestat? And everyone else on the planet had a cow too, if memory serves me. In the event, he did a great job, everybody made money & the earth continued to turn. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Sep 17, 2013 12:00:12 PM

15. Oh, and remember when Anne Rice had a cow because Tom Cruise was cast as Lestat? And everyone else on the planet had a cow too, if memory serves me. In the event, he did a great job, everybody made money & the earth continued to turn. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Sep 17, 2013 12:00:12 PM

16. I loved Argo, but only watched half of it (I have stress issues). Ben Affleck can't be any worse as Batman than Christian Bale (I only saw The Dark Knight recently on French TV and finally got how good Abed's impression on "Community" was). BA frankly has never left me with any impression, either good or bad, so… good luck to him.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Sep 17, 2013 2:22:04 PM

17. Ben lives in my neighborhood. I've had the pleasure of seeing him in person. Is is very tall and drop dead sexy. His kids are cute too.

Posted by: Gee | Sep 17, 2013 9:55:05 PM