Ben Cohen | Dance | Dancing with the Stars | News | Robin Windsor

Ben Cohen Was Hoping for a Male Dance Partner on UK's 'Strictly Come Dancing'

2_cohen Windsor

Rugby star and straight LGBT rights ally Ben Cohen, who is competing on Strictly Come Dancing, the UK's version of Dancing with the Stars, wanted to be in the show's first same-sex pairing and was hoping to be paired up with gay Latin and Ballroom dance pro Robin Windsor (right), the UK's Mirror reports.

Said Cohen: “I’ve no qualms dancing with a woman or a man. Kristina will be easier to pick up though...I like to break down stereotypes."

Said Windsor: "He kept saying to me, ‘I hope they put me with you' ... He’s amazing, the things he has done for the gay ­community. I adore him."

Comments

1. I adore Ben as well. And not just because, well, you know...HOT!

Posted by: Gigi | Sep 17, 2013 11:14:46 AM

2. Bad idea. TV sets all over the UK would explode simultaneously!

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 17, 2013 11:21:49 AM

3. ugh, I have such a thing for Ben Cohen. Seriously.

Posted by: JWL | Sep 17, 2013 11:28:32 AM

4. This guy's gay obsession is a little creepy for a straight guy. Being an ally is one thing....and is appreciated....but the beefcake photos and now this suggest that something else is going on.

Is this just another way to be "out" without actually being "out"? To embrace "gay" while pretending not to be gay? A la Jake Gyllenhall and Simon Cower.

If so, how bizarre.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 17, 2013 12:04:15 PM

5. well, better his way than being an anonymous cowardly troll who doesn't want to be gay, despite the reality that you'll be one until the day you die, Troll :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 17, 2013 12:07:50 PM

6. "TV sets all over the UK would explode simultaneously!"

They'd have to shorten the name of the show to just, "Strictly Come".

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Sep 17, 2013 12:21:43 PM

7. Ben is ok, if you like a handsome face with just a hint of rugby scars, a bad haircut that says "what the hell," a killer smile, dancing eyes, a naturally hairy and buff torso with some meat on it, and loads of sensitivity to go with it. I mean, ok if you're into all that. *SWOON*

Posted by: Ken | Sep 17, 2013 12:22:06 PM

8. Ben gets more fun all the time. Lots of straight guys get a kick out of being extreme in a harmless way. Pursuing gay men or the image of being one is a kind of extreme sport for them, mostly good-hearted but dangerous for the gay may who "gets involved." They're good guys though and often hugely charming.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 17, 2013 12:23:23 PM

9. I'm white and have worked quite a bit for Latino rights. Does that mean I'm secretly Latino? Don't think so.

Posted by: throwslikeagirl | Sep 17, 2013 12:25:46 PM

10. Rick = concern troll. Textbook case.

Posted by: Betty Treacle | Sep 17, 2013 12:29:16 PM

11. "I'm white and have worked quite a bit for Latino rights. Does that mean I'm secretly Latino? Don't think so."

No, but if you have taken to speaking Spanish as your first language, eating beans and tortillas just about every day in preference to American food, listen to Mexican pop music in preference to American pop music, and wave the Mexican flag at US vs. Mexico soccer matches......well........

Posted by: Rick | Sep 17, 2013 12:37:17 PM

12. @UFFDA There are very few truly straight men that get off on titillating gay men. Even "meterosexuals" are just imitating some gay-originated cultural behaviors, but are not trying to attract gay men by doing so.

And the few straight men who do get off on titillating gay men are not "good guys" at all. As you point out, the gay guys who "get involved" with them will invariably get burned by them.....and suffer serious emotional damage from the experience in most cases.

I guess you could say that if it is a celebrity doing it, who is inaccessible socially to his "admirers", then the potential for such damage is eliminated, but, even so, the desire to titillate gay men if you have no interest in ever fulfilling any of their fantasies is pretty disgusting......and the motives behind it would be pretty nasty.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 17, 2013 12:42:17 PM

13. At least he's not a sissy vegetarian.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 17, 2013 12:55:35 PM

14. The thought of these two men dancing together...Let me get home to my husband right now!!!

Posted by: THurts | Sep 17, 2013 12:59:59 PM

15. Dancing with the stars is the US version of Strictly Come Dancing not the other way around

Posted by: eric | Sep 17, 2013 1:06:44 PM

16. Are we sure that Ben Cohen isnt gay?

Posted by: Luke | Sep 17, 2013 1:17:26 PM

17. The USA version ONLY has one gay male dancer.... Who in the flip are they kidding?

Posted by: Michael | Sep 17, 2013 1:38:40 PM

18. @Rick - "... eating beans and tortillas just about every day in preference to American food, listen to Mexican pop music in preference to American pop music, and wave the Mexican flag at US vs. Mexico soccer matches......well........"

Seriously? Heaven forbid someone embracing a different culture or subculture. I guess if you're white you had better act white. If your straight you had better act straight. I certainly hope if you're gay, you're actually acting gay. WOW.

Posted by: Secret Identity | Sep 17, 2013 1:52:03 PM

19. Wow! What an idea, seeing Ben to dance in other man's arms, wow! What a man he is! Thank you Ben.

Posted by: Matt27 | Sep 17, 2013 1:56:09 PM

20. Straight guys posing for beefcake is hardly unusual. Men, straight and gay, have been happy being sexualized for a long time. And many secure straight men are flattered by gay attention (insecure men are not); Ben is clearly one of them, and he uses his ally status to support his foundation against bullying. Not sure which gay guys are going to get involved with a married to a woman guy with kids who's as open as he is--the straight guys that play that way aren't public gay allies.

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 17, 2013 2:02:20 PM

21. Love Ben, but gee, I hope he can actually dance (otherwise he might get voted out early, or doesn't it work that way?).

I'm already fantasizing about his costumes…

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Sep 17, 2013 2:11:58 PM

22. Great for Ben, and his continuing role as an ally for the gay community. But why haven't I heard of this gorgeous out gay dancer Robin Windsor?
    I loathe the tacky Dancing with the stars from the US, but I would tune in if they had Ben and Robin in the cast!

Posted by: 604brian | Sep 17, 2013 2:50:35 PM

23. I hope Ben manages to stay on the entire season... and hopefully wear more and more revealing outfits. Hey, don't hate. I'm allowed to look dammit.

For me, he's simply one of the hottest athletes EVER. That he's also a kind person, sweetheart of a family man, and intensely devoted humanitarian... makes him completely swoon-worthy. Many times over.

Posted by: sparks | Sep 17, 2013 4:20:11 PM

24. What a man. Absolute drool.

Posted by: John | Sep 17, 2013 4:24:45 PM

25. I'll dance with you Ben, I'll even go take lessons first!

Posted by: jsb | Sep 17, 2013 4:41:26 PM