Daniel Radcliffe | Freddie Mercury | News

BigGayDeal.com

Daniel Radcliffe to Play Freddie Mercury?

Radcliffe

The role of Freddie Mercury in a biopic once attached to Sacha Baron Cohen is Daniel Radcliffe's is he wants it, according to UK tabloid The Daily Star:

MercuryBorat star Sacha Baron Cohen, 41, quit the biopic project this summer following clashes over the script with band members Brian May, 66, and Roger Taylor, 64.

But now producers are keen to bag Radcliffe, 24, and are prepared to offer him big money to tempt him to play the gay singer, whose string of hits included camp rock anthem I Want To Break Free.

If he takes the part, Hollywood insiders predict it will be the actor’s biggest pay day since he played Harry Potter in the successful movies.

“Plus, he’s closer in height to Freddie than Sacha, who’s much taller. Daniel can really sing, too.”

The tabloid also claims that producers are impressed with Radcliffe's Kill Your Darlings performance as gay beat poet Allen Ginsberg, and say that Baren Cohen dropped out because the characterization of Mercury wasn't flamboyant enough in the script for him.

Comments

1. yea? no, I don't see it.

Posted by: Truthiness | Sep 23, 2013 12:16:19 PM

2. What a shame. SBC could have been amazing. He looks a lot like Mercury.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Sep 23, 2013 12:22:13 PM

3. Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out because the script was watered down to make Freddie more "family-friendly". I don't have any particular passion or drive to see a watered down family-friendly Freddie Mercury.

And Sacha, despite the height difference, is the ideal Freddie. I wasn't sure if the pic above was of Freddie or Sacha. They blew it letting him go. Good singer, too.

Posted by: will | Sep 23, 2013 12:30:27 PM

4. So they're replacing Sacha Baron Cohen with an actual actor? Son of a gun.

Posted by: jomicur | Sep 23, 2013 12:59:54 PM

5. They're going to have to add a fake treasure trail from his neck down to his package. Radcliffe is nearly hairless.

Posted by: johnny | Sep 23, 2013 1:04:55 PM

6. @ Johnny - he sure doesn't look hairless. Either I'm seeing something that's not there, or you're not seeing something that is hair.

That said, I really don't think anyone should be playing Freddie. He was an original.

Posted by: Mike in the tundra | Sep 23, 2013 1:21:07 PM

7. IF you want to tell the true story about Freddie Mercury worts-and-all, perhaps it's better to have an able actor tackle the role who doesn't look like Freddie. I'd rather see the truth about Freddie...of whom admittedly I don't know much about other than a few pop-hits...than a safe but pallid replicant.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Sep 23, 2013 1:42:11 PM

8. Oh please, give us all a break. We love Harry Potter but certainly not in the role of the overbited Mercury.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Sep 23, 2013 1:52:31 PM

9. terrible terrible

Posted by: JJ | Sep 23, 2013 2:02:03 PM

10. This I don't feel at all. Not at all. I read something the other day about Rob James-Collier (Thomas from Downton Abbey) pursuing the role. I think he has a much better "look" for the part as well as the chest hair. Anyone else remember how often that detail used to change when he played Liam Connor on "Coronation Street?" They couldn't make up their minds whether they wanted him furry or smooth...lol!

Posted by: Rexford | Sep 23, 2013 2:20:24 PM

11. with Brian May and Roger Taylor calling the shots, this film probably would be far from the truth if they want it to be 'family friendly'. i have the sense that Freddie, himself, wouldn't approve...

as far as Daniel Radcliffe playing Freddie, you just never know. someone else pointed out that using an actual actor would be best.

Posted by: mike/ | Sep 23, 2013 2:38:36 PM

12. I just saw Daniel as Allen Ginsberg in "Kill Your Darlings" and he's Beyond Amazing. He held nothing back, portraying the young Allen coming out and falling in love for the first time.

If they're going to tell Freddie Mercury's tory honestly he cold do it in a heartbeat.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 23, 2013 3:06:33 PM

13. I don't see it, but I'm prepared to be wrong.

Posted by: Michael W. | Sep 23, 2013 3:14:17 PM

14. Odd that he would play another gay character. I met Freddie Mercury, I think it might be a bit of a stretch. Of course you'll remember Bette Midler in "The Rose" She tried to evoke Janis Joplin
    with dubious success. Daniel might be able to pull it off. I wish Cohen didn't back out.

Posted by: GB | Sep 23, 2013 4:40:59 PM

15. Daniel Radcliffe is not "nearly hairless." I saw him naked from the 2nd row, and he is rather hairy. I don't really see him as Freddy Mercury, but he's an extremely talented actor and if he thinks he can do it he'll probably be amazing.

Posted by: Robert | Sep 23, 2013 4:56:57 PM

16. @ "Of course you'll remember Bette Midler in "The Rose" She tried to evoke Janis Joplin
    with dubious success"

huh? Bette was fantastic as Joplin.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 23, 2013 5:05:39 PM

17. Sorry, I love Daniel Radcliffe, but just don't see him as Freddy Mercury. Now, Rob James Collier from Downton Abbey, with that gorgeous mane he has on his chest, would be a good casting, I think. Not to mention Rob James is a very talented actor as well.

Posted by: Bob R | Sep 23, 2013 6:04:03 PM

18. Love Dan, but this guy is the perfect Freddie.. and can sing eerily like him:

Marc Martel / Somebody to Love

Marc Martel / Bohemian Rhapsody

Posted by: sparks | Sep 23, 2013 6:20:49 PM

19. wait,was Freddie Mercury not Indian??

Posted by: johnosahon | Sep 23, 2013 6:23:29 PM

20. @Johnosahon: Parsi, yes

Posted by: shane | Sep 23, 2013 6:48:31 PM

21. @jomicur. cohen is a gifted actor. fairly obvious.

Posted by: gomez | Sep 23, 2013 8:31:36 PM

22. My first thought was also about freddie's ethnic origin. Not that i had high hopes to begin, but this + family friendly is a slam dunk POS.

Posted by: edie | Sep 23, 2013 8:35:41 PM

23. With Sasha Baron Cohen being 6'3" and Daniel Radcliffe at 5'5", they apparently don't know what they want.

Posted by: Fox | Sep 23, 2013 10:03:29 PM

24. According to Bette, the character was based upon, but not Janis Joplin.

Posted by: GB | Sep 23, 2013 11:50:19 PM

25. GB - That was my understanding as well, mainly because Joplin's family didn't convey the rights to the producers to do a film about her.

Posted by: Fox | Sep 24, 2013 5:09:33 AM