Ellen DeGeneres | Gay Marriage Proposal | News

Gay Couple Who Got Engaged at Home Depot Visits Ellen DeGeneres: VIDEO

Homedepot

Spencer Stout and Dustin Reeser, the gay couple whose flash mob marriage proposal has received nearly 10 million views on YouTube, were invited for a visit with Ellen on Thursday.

Ellen also surprised the couple with some of her usual treats.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

If you missed the video, catch it HERE.

Homedepot1

Comments

1. Ellen is the best! Her generosity often makes me well up in tears!

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Sep 19, 2013 3:53:12 PM

2. That was nice.

And people are always making Utah look like some sort of bastion of anti-Gay hatred. Salt Lake City must be ok.

But where will they marry? They'd better move to California :-)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 19, 2013 3:53:15 PM

3. Dusting and Spencer are an awesome couple.
    The video is also available here: http://youtu.be/qhZS5_3CRo4

Posted by: Jay | Sep 19, 2013 3:58:03 PM

4. I'm a regular guy. I'm out, I have a BF. I'm comfortable with who I am.

But I find this so effing tacky and over the top. I seriously cringed at most of this.

I'm glad they loved each other and all, but it was so lame for them to do this at a home depot.

I want 100% equal rights for all, but PLEASE, put a stop to these cheesy videos. They're lame and do nothing to further our cause.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 19, 2013 4:10:07 PM

5. I totally agree with Mike. BARF.

I'm sure some people will be like "oh, you're just some self-loathing jerk!" No, I'm not at all. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. But c'mon guys. Gag me!

Posted by: Daymian | Sep 19, 2013 4:12:12 PM

6. Was it a wedding or a PR stunt or a pride parade ?

They way we're represented in the media - it's not me and my hubby, it's not anybody I know - not even remotely close.

I guess my friends and I just aren't gay enough.

I don't even remember the last time I say anything that was even nearly accurate in the media about our lives.

Is everybody like those guys ? Is my social circle just comprised of the exception ?

Not getting any of it.

Posted by: UGH | Sep 19, 2013 4:23:39 PM

7. @MIKE their video is of their engagement, not some sort of campaign to further anyone's cause. I see nothing tacky with it. On the contrary it shows a great amount of class to have included their families and friends. I thought it was a honest and beautiful proposal.

Posted by: Rafael | Sep 19, 2013 4:37:06 PM

8. Raphael - Then why was it done in a Home Depot? Notice they aren't saying hardware store...they are saying Home Depot. They got a lot of "free" advertising.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 19, 2013 4:40:12 PM

9. Ugh Bill ..yeah it is all a conspiracy.

Posted by: Rafael | Sep 19, 2013 4:53:27 PM

10. 72% of Utahans are against marriage equality. It's pretty backwards to say the least. Salt Lake is OK, though. It's one of the gayest US cities and has a lot of marriaged/coupled gays in relationships with children.

Dustin lives with a roommate. I wonder if he and Spencer don't live together because of their Mormon beliefs....if they are Mormons. Maybe they'll start living together now.

As for the supposed tackiness of their engagement video, they had fun and that's all that's all that matters. They're engaged and in love and have support of their family and community. It's a nice love story. I wouldn't propose in a Home Depot but hey, who are we to judge?

Posted by: Francis #1 | Sep 19, 2013 5:03:19 PM

11. @Mike, I agree. It really is just a symptom of the society we live in today. Everyone needs their 15 minutes of fame. Nothing is sacred or private anymore. Propose to your boyfriend? Better hire a dance crew and post it all over the internet. Good for them, I'm glad they are happy.. But there is always just something so narcissistic about these videos.

Posted by: Luke | Sep 19, 2013 5:29:36 PM

12. Ellen is the master of these type of corn fests. Will they be changing the name to Homo Depot? I dread watching "Miss Everybody Loves Me And I'm A Lesbian!" ruin the Oscars. She needs to do a documentary on lesbian sex. Then I'd have more respect. Great to be alive xoxo

Posted by: GE | Sep 19, 2013 5:42:01 PM

13. Thankfully, there are sweet guys who aren't asking for people to pay for their wedding (check the story on gawker - http://gawker.com/help-this-needy-couples-parents-attend-one-of-their-th-1350721195).

Posted by: S, | Sep 19, 2013 5:47:13 PM

14. Wow. Apparently lots of piss in Cheerios this morning...

Posted by: Kenny C | Sep 19, 2013 5:58:07 PM

15. The way Cherrios are advertising they deserve it. My only wish would be that Sydney Portier could play the father's part.

Posted by: GE | Sep 19, 2013 6:04:59 PM

16. Good hell... Call down Gurls... This wouldn't be my idea of a perfect proposal either, but it was theirs. And it does further our cause (Just look at the comments on YouTube. Almost all positive and uplifting.)

The fact that some of you can't see the joy generated for millions of viewers from this simple video tells your story. Sadly some people just can't be happy for others. Sad for you.

Congrats to Dustin and Spencer!!!

Posted by: Wayne | Sep 19, 2013 6:16:45 PM

17. Wow, sometimes I marvel at the level of vitriol in the comments on this site. Lighten up guys.

Posted by: David | Sep 19, 2013 6:25:10 PM

18. Don't be alarmed. I'm a professional. My comments come naturally. Life is short. Say what you really feel. If comments read too negative, dig deeper. Negative is a breeze for me, but I certainly don't hate everything and everyone. The Pope says lay off gays--and that applies to gay bitches. It's an art form really. Let it all out on Towleroad.

Posted by: GG | Sep 19, 2013 6:46:00 PM

19. Some really bitter queens around here. Who care's if it was Home Depot? If I could even be half as happy as they were, I'd do it there too. It was their moment, and they let others be a part of that. Stop trying to take that away from them with negativity.

Posted by: Zen | Sep 19, 2013 7:22:49 PM

20. "we filmed it, then posted it online, and had NO idea other people than our family would see it" right.

Posted by: steve | Sep 19, 2013 7:41:54 PM

21. Steve that's not quite what Spencer said. He said he posted it for family and friends to see it. The 9M views wasn't part of their original expectation. That seems reasonable.

Posted by: Gast | Sep 19, 2013 7:51:49 PM

22. UGH is a bigoted poster. The poster UGH is a religious heterosexual troll. We need to keep tabs on the heteros who pollute our site

Posted by: Mikey | Sep 19, 2013 9:43:30 PM

23. LOVED THIS! Loved everything about it

Posted by: Junior | Sep 19, 2013 9:43:47 PM

24. A proud gay couple full of love and pride. Very happy for them.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Sep 19, 2013 9:44:14 PM

25. Aww this was adorable! many years of joy and success for them.

Posted by: Scott Johansen | Sep 19, 2013 9:44:34 PM