Family Research Council | News | Tony Perkins

BigGayDeal.com

FRC's Tony Perkins Calls for Boycott of Betty Crocker Over Gay Wedding Cakes: AUDIO

Bettycrocker
(image from minnesota public radio - mpr - see their story here)

Family Research Council's Tony Perkins is calling on his followers to boycott Betty Crocker because of the company's support for gay couples, Right Wing Watch reports:

PerkinsPerkins was outraged that Betty Crocker donated custom cakes to three gay Minnesota couples who were married after the state legalized same-sex marriage, and upset that a company spokesman said that “Betty celebrates all families.” Perkins warned that Betty Crocker’s “latest promotion is a recipe for disaster” and claimed that it is offensive to a majority of Americans who have already “made it tough on companies like Target, Starbucks and JC Penney” for not opposing gay rights.

“When you’re at the store, think outside the Betty Crocker box!”

Listen to Perkins's call for action, below:

Comments

1. Their little boycotts do not harm these companies. Ask Starbucks or target. I am sure many of his followers could step back from the Betty Crocker aisle anyway and they would be better off.

Posted by: Lee | Sep 12, 2013 3:08:55 PM

2. Outraged that someone baked a cake. How can he sleep at night?

Posted by: Mitch | Sep 12, 2013 3:17:02 PM

3. I always buy another brand. Now I will notify Betty Crocker and let them know that I am switching to their brand because of their compassion.

Posted by: Jaysonn | Sep 12, 2013 3:20:40 PM

4. Tony is just another ideologue who doesn't realize that you don't start boycotts that will have no serious impact on the targeted organizations. Betty Crocker will be hurt by the wingnut boycott just like Target, Starbucks and JC Penny were. LOL!!!

Posted by: andrew | Sep 12, 2013 3:23:08 PM

5. Why not boycott everything and work backwards approving it? Of course wedding cakes are such an important part of a gay/straight simulation weddings that this is news. The struggle for human rights and dignity should not go undocumented.

Posted by: GB | Sep 12, 2013 3:25:17 PM

6. Is this the beginning of ANOTHER failed boycott by the fundi-natics? I guess Toni didn't learn anything from the 3 years AFA wasted with Home Depot...

Anyway - Go for it TP, it'll give you something to do and you can pretend people still listen to you...

Posted by: AdamTh | Sep 12, 2013 3:34:04 PM

7. I wish they would boycott Microsoft, Apple, Google, Dell, AT&T, Verizon and all the other hi-tech companies that support LGBT equality - then we might not ever hear from FRC, AFA or any of the other nutcases again.

Posted by: David | Sep 12, 2013 3:38:53 PM

8. You know, Tony, gays breathe air. Why not boycott air? Please.

Posted by: Rad | Sep 12, 2013 3:45:01 PM

9. Typical. Boycotting a bakery for refusing to obey the law and bake a wedding cake for a gay/lesbian couple is deplorable, and deserves scorn for "not respecting the baker's religious beliefs." But boycotting a company for baking wedding cakes for lesbian/gay couples is admirable, because everyone should have religious beliefs that shun gay couples.

Posted by: john patrick | Sep 12, 2013 3:46:28 PM

10. lol..... Yes I'm sure they're quaking in their frosting over that thought Tony. I'm guessing there are a lot of right wing evangelicals for whom less cake is a great idea.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Sep 12, 2013 3:49:27 PM

11. "I wish they would boycott Microsoft, Apple, Google, Dell, AT&T, Verizon and all the other hi-tech companies that support LGBT equality - then we might not ever hear from FRC, AFA or any of the other nutcases again."

AMEN, BROTHER!

Posted by: Mark Alexander | Sep 12, 2013 3:51:21 PM

12. When is the MF's male paramour gonna talk to the rags & tell his story. Ted Haggard survived; Ms Tony will, also. I wonder if he spends more time in his bedroom than he does in mine. I don't need a lesson in his version of morality. I'm perfectly moral. I don't preach H8 speech against other citizens, even though they vilify & demonize me & my LGBT friends. Park it, Perkins; your time on this ride is done!

Posted by: dam846201 | Sep 12, 2013 3:51:55 PM

13. No different from boycotting Stoli.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 12, 2013 3:57:53 PM

14. Mr. Perkins is much too focused on gay issues and picking on Betty Crocker is laughable............

Posted by: Bernie | Sep 12, 2013 4:26:23 PM

15. This is an onion headline waiting to happen. "FRC announces boycott of western world"

Posted by: EchtKultig | Sep 12, 2013 4:35:53 PM

16. Isn't this something that falls properly in the realm of CoupleDozenMoms? Tony doesn't have enough to do at work, obviously, and somebody filched his yo-yo.

Posted by: gregorybrown | Sep 12, 2013 4:47:13 PM

17. Betty Crocker has 1st amendment rights that the blood thirsty terrorist Tony Perkins better respect before he gets a cake thrown right in is filthy face Anita Byrant style.

Posted by: Sean | Sep 12, 2013 4:49:52 PM

18. I bet the folks at Betty Crocker are saying "Bingo....that idiot took the bait, and now we get some free publicity off of his 'boycott'."

Posted by: Frank | Sep 12, 2013 4:52:44 PM

19. Perkins is so lame.

Posted by: Tom | Sep 12, 2013 5:05:39 PM

20. Wedding cakes cost a fortune, so it's a significant donation.

Posted by: anon | Sep 12, 2013 5:06:55 PM

21. Tony who? With what?
    Anyway, this reminds me I need to update my library with new Betty Crocker E-Cookbooks.

Posted by: Chris | Sep 12, 2013 5:12:05 PM

22. Maybe Perkins et al. can order their non-Gay cakes from SweetCakes in Oregon... Oh, wait...

Posted by: talibaptist | Sep 12, 2013 5:35:25 PM

23. Oh yes, I remember Jan. 12, 2012 when SBUX shares were selling for $47.05.
    Then came the 62,000 little old ladies from Podunk towns without espresso who signed that petition, and the 652,000 people who signed the "Thank you, Starbucks" counter-petition. Today, SBUX sold above $75.
    If Perkins thinks Starbucks employees were shaking in their boots, I think they were too busy brewing tens of millions of Frappuccinos to notice.

Posted by: GregV | Sep 12, 2013 5:35:32 PM

24. Hypocrisy at its finest. It's wrong for a place like Melissa's Sweet Cakes to get boycotted but dare to show any support for the LGBT community,let the boycotts begin!

Posted by: Kevin | Sep 12, 2013 5:57:15 PM

25. Tony Perkins is outraged over something? I'm shocked!

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 12, 2013 6:25:44 PM