Amy Poehler | Conan O'Brien | Jane Lynch | Jimmy Fallon | Jimmy Kimmel | Neil Patrick Harris | News | Television | Tina Fey

Neil Patrick Harris Opens the Emmys, is Interrupted by Hosts of Awards Past: VIDEO

Lynch_harris

Neil Patrick Harris tried to open the Emmys, but was interrupted by past hosts of the show, including Jimmy Kimmel, Jane Lynch, Jimmy Fallon, Conan O'Brien, and finally Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.

"Said Lynch: I want to tell you why I wasn't asked back. I wasn't asked back because I am a woman."

Replied Harris: "Oh, c'mon Jane. I don't think anyone who watched that night thought of you as a woman."

Lynch: "I'm gonna show you just how much of a woman I am Harris."

Harris: "I wouldn't like it, Lynch."

Lynch: "I would like it less, Harris."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oh my homosexuals are soooo funny.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 22, 2013 9:58:47 PM

2. If Jane had said "lady" instead of "woman," leading into "Nobody thought of you as a lady," then I would understand.
    But what is this joke supposed to mean? If she isn't thought of as a woman, she is thought of as what? A man (because of her pantsuits, maybe)? Or just as a person, suggesting we're not so sexist to think about a host's sex? Is it supposed to be insulting? That joke just confused me.

I'm a little surprised that Neil would go along with telling Jimmy his tap dance was "too gay." Too gay for what? Why do some people thing it's funny to suggest that ANYTHING is "too" gay, as if "gay" is something to be avoided?
    Did the joke writers think it would be funny for a gay man to turn the tables and belittle a straight man with a homophobic put-down?

Posted by: GregV | Sep 22, 2013 10:17:53 PM

3. Bad writing, bad jokes = not amusing and kinda stupid.

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Sep 22, 2013 10:23:33 PM

4. The whole show is a train wreck.

Posted by: Tom | Sep 22, 2013 10:52:38 PM

5. Emmy Awards = homophobic. Neil is the useful gay idiot of choice for the Emmys producers.

Posted by: Adam | Sep 22, 2013 10:57:30 PM

6. Really? They book a gay host then script three painfully ridiculous bits at the expense of lesbians/gays through the evening. So much for liberal bias...

Posted by: robroy | Sep 22, 2013 11:17:51 PM

7. Being outraged by everything must be exhausting.

Posted by: ger | Sep 22, 2013 11:20:29 PM

8. I like Neil Patrick Harris but the writers of the Emmys blow. Given the fact they are paid a crapload of money for this one gig, they should come up with funnier bits.

Posted by: jonvincent | Sep 22, 2013 11:37:53 PM

9. I'm mad, grrrrrrr, so mad, grrrrrr !

Posted by: UGH | Sep 23, 2013 12:34:57 AM

10. I'll grant that the writers were crap on the whole of the evening. Beyond that, I'm largely indifferent.

Posted by: Jerry | Sep 23, 2013 2:27:26 AM

11. I quite enjoyed it.

I had forgotten that NPH did a character arc on Glee in its first season. Will Shuster's rival. It was fun to see him and Jane together again.

Watched it with my dad and brother. That in itself was quite interesting.

Strangely, after 40 years of being called gay, it was kinda cathartic hearing a gay man (whom I used to have a major crush on) using the term in a comedy skit on national television. An Openly Gay Man on National Television. Nope. Didn't bother me one bit.

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Sep 23, 2013 3:45:14 AM

12. I quite enjoyed it.

Watched it with my dad and brother. That in itself was quite interesting.

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Sep 23, 2013 3:45:14 AM

13. Yay, I love Neil Patrick Harris… I thought the bit was fun, and it's nice to see that we can poke fun at ourselves. I really feel that being gay is becoming a nonissue, finally!!!

Posted by: Wayne | Sep 23, 2013 6:14:25 AM

14. The only thing missing was Rob Lowe singing to Snow White.

Posted by: Rad | Sep 23, 2013 7:06:24 AM

15. I was kinda excited thinking NPH was going to twerk... :(

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Sep 23, 2013 9:49:48 AM

16. I think NPH is very talented and deserves all of his success, That being said, I find him to be very self conscious and trying too hard. For example, he's always overenunciating EVERYTHING he says. Loosen up - I wonder what he's like in bed? Poor David. :-)

Posted by: tony diaz | Sep 23, 2013 10:29:58 AM

17. Neil Patrick Harris produced the show. He put up his own money and had great say in what was said and what went down. They ran the entire show twice here on the West Coast which just goes to show you the kind of power wielded by those who ran the show. All in all Harris did a fine job - there were several flubs (Carrie Underwood singing the Beatles, she was flat right out of the gate), the hosts squabble, the individual memorials just kept bringing the show down and the writing could have been much better.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Sep 23, 2013 10:35:38 AM

18. "Being outraged by everything must be exhausting."

got that right, @Ger. as Groucho Marx liked to say "Everybody's a critic." sheeesh......

Posted by: mike/ | Sep 23, 2013 10:50:55 AM

19. GER, you're reading my mind!

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Sep 23, 2013 12:14:24 PM

20. The audience was sober and cold.

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 23, 2013 2:45:43 PM

21. You'd know all about cold, wouldn't you?

But, do you remember what it was like to be sober?

Posted by: FFS | Sep 24, 2013 4:39:03 PM