BigGayDeal.com

An Epic Customer Service Meltdown...Can You Relate? — AUDIO

CustomerserviceThis inconvenienced caller, after bouncing around a security systems company's customer service department for over three hours, finally reached his breaking point when a mild-mannered tech support agent named Mark answered the phone. What follows is a spectacular look into one man's total loss of patience and sanity at the hands of an incompetent customer service department. Can you relate?

Listen to the expletive-laden fireworks,
AFTER THE JUMP...

On a side note, apparently the customer was legally banned from phoning the company again after the incident.

Comments

1. Oh, my. If I was Michelle I'd be hiding too.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 13, 2013 3:13:56 PM

2. What American can't relate to this customer's frustration and ultimate break-down?

Posted by: Keiran | Sep 13, 2013 3:15:08 PM

3. For the first part of this, I thought this guy was nuts. I still do, but I also sympathize with this experience.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 13, 2013 3:15:44 PM

4. i can relate. a customer asks for help, follows directions from the phone rep, and hits brick walls doing what he was told. and when he called back and received different instructions from another rep, he tried to follow the new instructions, and hit more brick walls. after finally getting in touch with someone he thought could help, he followed instructions to speak with them again - even more brick walls.

if he had been thinking clearly, he would have just cancelled the service, and never called back. but in trying to follow the instructions, he became frustrated, lost his patience, emotion took over, and logical thinking went out the window. his behavior was unacceptable, but we all know how he got there.

this is caused by companies not providing accurate information to the reps, not training their reps on good procedures, by having broken or untested procedures in place, and by restricting the reps ability to think freely and solve problems. bottom line, it was the company's fault, not the rep, and not the customer.

Posted by: northalabama | Sep 13, 2013 3:38:00 PM

5. After two 4 hour windows on different days (after taking time off from work to be there) and the technician never showing up or calling on an upgrade to my electric meter, I totally wanted to be able to act like this on the phone too. Service people and 4 hour windows and customer service is mind blowingly awful.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 13, 2013 3:41:38 PM

6. This just smells of fakery. Has anyone seen Jimmy Kimmel around today?

Just sayin'

Back to work:

Posted by: WorkAvoidanceLog | Sep 13, 2013 3:42:39 PM

7. LMAO

he wouldn't have likely been banned had he not mention firearms, etc.

Posted by: Kevin LS | Sep 13, 2013 3:47:42 PM

8. Oh oh oh... And this other number I call... This (rude) woman leaves a message and her extension and whenever I call back and enter the extension number it automatically disconnects the line! I have tried it like ten times and have had other people try it. How am I supposed to call her back or tell her I can't call her back if I can't call her to tell her??

Posted by: Macguffin54 | Sep 13, 2013 3:52:48 PM

9. Just last night I had virtually the same conversation with Charter cable. (The worst fracking company in the world, btw.) The other day I talked to tech support, customer service, and the tech who showed up in person, and got at least four different stories.

"Now, let's unplug your modem . . . . "

Posted by: melvin | Sep 13, 2013 4:38:29 PM

10. Seems pretty fake to me... both sides of the conversation.

Posted by: neonzx | Sep 13, 2013 5:08:23 PM

11. Welcome to the free world.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Sep 13, 2013 5:13:21 PM

12. As some one who works in customer service, I would never have put up with this. My company instructs us to disconnect abusive calls (and this certainly qualifies as one). No matter how frustrated this a-hole was, he has no right to abuse a young man who obviously has the patience of a saint. CS reps are not paid to be abused and the company was fully within their rights to ban him. Goodbye to bad rubbish.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 13, 2013 5:14:48 PM

13. Three hours sounds a bit much and it does sound fake.

Posted by: jarago | Sep 13, 2013 5:18:03 PM

14. Three hours wouldn't sound like much if you ever had to deal with Charter.

And Brian, customers are abused too.

Posted by: melvin | Sep 13, 2013 5:20:25 PM

15. Been there. I feel the customer's pain.

Posted by: Truthiness | Sep 13, 2013 5:22:11 PM

16. I'm stunned anybody who has had to deal with telephone customer service with a cable/internet company would believe this was fake. I've been there, 3 hours plus trying to resolve a situation with several different reps who ask the same questions over and over. It's absolutely maddening, a special circle of Hell on Earth.

Posted by: Joseph2 | Sep 13, 2013 5:45:49 PM

17. So, is there a Michelle or not?

Posted by: BobN | Sep 13, 2013 5:49:00 PM

18. Most companies are like this, they don't have to care.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Sep 13, 2013 5:49:25 PM

19. I have a good deal of experience as both an agent and a trainer in several call centers. I'm leaning towards calling this fake. In the places I've worked and from what I learned from colleagues working in other companies, agents are told to disconnect the call.

Brian is right in saying that agents aren't paid to be abused. But, beyond that, if a company doesn't let agents disconnect abusive callers, they could be accused of placing employees in a hostile work environment. That's particularly true if a caller uses threatening language.

(I'm no lawyer; so, I don't know if agents could sue their employer. But, all three companies I was with had similar "abusive caller" policies.)

Posted by: alex | Sep 13, 2013 6:26:22 PM

20. This is probably phony. I used to manage a call center as well as conduct training for customer service reps. No customer service rep has to listen to that kind of abuse and threats of a machine gun on employees would mean an immediate call to police. While calling in to a customer service center is not always fun, this customer is way, way, out of line. If this is real, which I have my doubts, then I would have had him banned from calling in as well. He would also run the risk of having his services terminated forever. Its rare but it is done. Threats of violence would merit such termination. Situations like this almost always mean the customer wrote or heard the message wrong. This customer service rep was trying to help and was incredibly patient.

Posted by: AWM | Sep 13, 2013 6:39:36 PM

21. This is what you get from outsourced customer support.

What a disgrace.

This poor man has been lied to and nobody listened to him. He should sue.

Posted by: Randy | Sep 13, 2013 6:46:19 PM

22. Three hours, many times over, over the course of months, was my experience with UAL over a very simple erroneous credit card charge from a technical glitch with an on-line flight booking. Transferred from rep to rep, department to department, this department can't talk to that department, transferred again, on hold for eons... Based on my year-long experience in a very clear-cut dispute with UAL (which a little over a year later, they resolved in my favor, without admitting any wrongdoing, in an action that should have taken 5 minutes up front), I'd say this is NOT fake. It was absolutely my reality, and is the reality for too many people just trying to be treated fairly. Unlike this recording, I remained very civil (not easy) but firm. Though it still took over a year to resolve a very, very simple thing that was clearly documented up the yazoo on both sides.

Fake or not (likely not!), this recording is reality, and is just about where I was after having dealt with multiple phone reps in overseas call centers for months, keeping reams of hard-copy documentation, submitting and re-submitting and re-submitting that documentation to countless places, and being unable to deal with things in person with UAL people I talked to at the local (Denver) office. Office A doesn't talk to Office B doesn't talk to Office C and no one seems to have a supervisor.

Yeah. On the flip side, once in a while I run across a support rep who is wonderful, doesn't read a script, and takes care of things pronto. And that is the philosophy of that company. I go out of my way to send praises to those companies, and funny thing - they have a loyal customer for life.

Posted by: KC | Sep 13, 2013 7:10:08 PM

23. I'm sorry, but I think this is hilarious.

Posted by: Geoff M | Sep 13, 2013 7:42:13 PM

24. Somebody...needs a chill pill.

Posted by: Martin Haro | Sep 13, 2013 7:52:43 PM

25. I feel that guy's pain. Most of the time, when I call customer service, something like this happens:

First, I ask the operator about my problem. They say I need to talk to Dept A, and get patched to them. After being on hold for 30 minutes, I get someone from Dept A. I tell them my problem, and get told that Dept B handles that. So I get put on hold, and 45 minutes later, I get someone from Dept B. So after repeating my problem for the third time, they tell me that Dept C handles that. Now I get put through to Dept C...and then the call gets cut off.

If anyone invents a way to let me strangle people through the phone, I will s*ck off/e*t out him or her for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Sep 13, 2013 8:00:34 PM