Janet Mock | Laverne Cox | Mister Cee | News | Radio | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

Radio DJ's Sexuality Struggles Prompt Vital Conversation on Gender, Sexuality, and Hip Hop: WATCH

Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 11.24.56 AM

DJ Mister Cee, the famed hip hop producer and DJ from NYC's Hot 97 radio station, was caught last week in another scandal involving the solicitation of a trans sex worker. Audio of the encounter was released, causing Cee to initially resign his position at the station, saying, "I'm being honest, I'm talking about who I am and what I am, and so I gotta deal with that first before I can get to the bridge that I know that I love which is being on this radio."

Mister Cee eventually rescinded his resignation, and, in the process of his whole ordeal, prompted an important conversation where the issues of sexuality, gender, race, and hip hop converge.

One of the best analyses of the Cee story was on HuffPostLive with transgender activist and Orange is the New Black actress Laverne Cox, writer and transgender activist Janet Mock, The Nation's Mychel Denzel Smith, and professor of black popular culture Mark Anthony Neal. The conversation started with these words from host Marc Lamont Hill:

"I want to be really clear with all of you watching this in the HuffPost community and beyond. I want to talk about what we're not going to to. This is not going to be a conversation about Mister Cee, per se. I don't really want to dig into the muck and mire of his personal life or get into the rumourmill or the scandal—there's plenty of places for that. What I think we want to do is have a smarter and more important conversation about what it all means. I'm less interested in talking about Mister Cee and more interested in talking about how we're talking about Mister Cee."

From there the conversation became one of the healthiest examples of how the media should and can discuss complex and uncomfortable issues surounding sexuality. It is a must-watch for anyone who has read this far into the post.

Watch the HuffPostLive commentators' superb analysis and listen to DJ Mister Cee discuss his ordeal, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I am SO GLAD you posted this. I started sending this clip to all my friends the other day because I couldn't get over how intelligent and thought-provoking it was. I know that many gay men read this blog, and a LOT of my gay male friends are truly baffled when trying to talk about transgender issues. It goes far beyond knowing which words to use or how to avoid offending someone; they just haven't done a lot of thinking about how sexuality, gender identity and sexual orientation are like three different colors of a Rubix cube that can mix and interact to create any number of different multicolored sides to a person. I adore Laverne Cox; she is going to be a major figure in the annals of LGBT American history!

Posted by: GMB | Sep 17, 2013 1:40:35 PM

2. Black guy who is perceived as straight solicits tranny hooker. Oh stop the presses! Check Craigslist for reference.

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 17, 2013 1:50:05 PM

3. Is he homosexual? Bisexual? Like guys? Like girls? Or is he just into having sex with chicks with dicks? He likes dudes who dress up and act like girls?

The hyper and pretentious masculinity that revolves around rap and gangsta [ghetto] mentality [I'm not referencing specifically hip-hop, but it too is basically a slightly kinder, gentler crossover from rap] hides a lot of insecurity and impotent rage. Looking and acting "hard", dressing like a gay for pay hustler, who can't see through it?

There's plenty of gay dudes involved in the rap and hip hop 'industry', at every level. I just find it funny a guy like this dude has been given a pass for so long, even when he's so obvious.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 17, 2013 2:26:41 PM

4. @ GBM

well said.

Not only are the two Transwomen intelligent & well spoken--they're also beautiful. So is Marc Lamont Hill :-)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 17, 2013 2:27:04 PM

5. These two to me are far ahead of ANY LGBTQ spokesperson in the public eye...so refreshingly honest, not petty and not immature.

I'm always taken in.

Posted by: Rowan | Sep 17, 2013 3:02:48 PM

6. Derrick, was there ever a conversation like this for black gay men??? Esp post Frank Ocean?? All I saw was stupid blog posts or poor articles from the Advocate etc who barely researched ANY of his music nor what he is actually about.

Or has their been an open dialogue about gays in Hollywood??

I hope this opens the door for more like this!

Posted by: Rowan | Sep 17, 2013 3:06:44 PM

7. @Rowan,

I guess there have been conversations on a smaller level. You know, local television/radio.

But there are hopeful signs. Remember Rod McCollum is now a regular writer for Ebony magazine. He often covers topics dealing with Black LGBT folks. And it helps that Don Lemon is out (I guess). So, there will be more diaglogue--Black folks have no choice because times--they are a changin'.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 17, 2013 5:40:54 PM

8. The second video from HuffPost is BRILLIANT! My god, if only all news could be like this. Can this interview get some sort of award or recognition? Seriously. THIS is what we as a culture NEED from our news. This is a perfect example of conversations we should be having about our fellow human beings.

BRAVO!

Posted by: Marc | Sep 18, 2013 5:18:12 AM

9. The second video from HuffPost is BRILLIANT! My god, if only all news could be like this. Can this interview get some sort of award or recognition? Seriously. THIS is what we as a culture NEED from our news. This is a perfect example of conversations we should be having about our fellow human beings.

BRAVO!