Jimmy Kimmel | News | Richard Simmons

BigGayDeal.com

Richard Simmons Makes Insane Appearance on Jimmy Kimmel: VIDEO

Richard_simmons

Jimmy Kimmel and Bill Hader did not know what to make of Richard Simmons after he energed on stage, sat on Hader's lap, and then proceeded to lick and bite Kimmel's script. Simmons then told Kimmel about his new album, went back to Hader's lap for a dance, introduced his new work-out video, Twerkin' to the Oldies, before doing a strip-tease to reveal a black bodysuit, a wig and lipstick.

Hader and Kimmel's faces in the shot below pretty much sum up the segment.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

R_simmons

Comments

1. Well that's Mr. Simmons...! I was wondering if that was him in drag in his new video. I suppose it was.

Posted by: RaYmO6400 | Sep 5, 2013 9:03:03 AM

2. This is Ross Mathews in two years.

Posted by: Two Years | Sep 5, 2013 9:05:59 AM

3. Gay minstrel

Posted by: Richie | Sep 5, 2013 9:48:33 AM

4. Come on, it's not like he hasn't been a train wreck since day one.

Water is wet.
    Rocks are hard.
    Richard Simmons is deeply painful and embarrassing to watch.

Not news. It would be far more shocking if he turned up fashionably dressed, well groomed, and speaking coherently.

But I will grant the man this - he seems to always be having fun, and he's forced the world to adapt to him and let him live by his own rules in ways that most of us can't even dream of, and as bizarre as I find him, that can honestly be inspirational.

At least he was in long pants for a change. That has to count for something.

Posted by: Lymis | Sep 5, 2013 9:51:49 AM

5. Don't have any idea what Ms. Simmons was on, but I don't want any!!

Posted by: Onnyjay | Sep 5, 2013 10:06:07 AM

6. Poor guy, all he used to have to do for attention was camp it up and wear short shorts on national tv.

Posted by: Tristram | Sep 5, 2013 10:19:09 AM

7. Somebody unplug that girl!

Posted by: Bill | Sep 5, 2013 10:20:15 AM

8. The man has made his fame and fortune by being outrageous and over the top, so why is anyone surprised? Still doesn't mean we have to watch it, and for the record, I didn't.

Posted by: norseman | Sep 5, 2013 10:46:17 AM

9. Though relieved he wasn't wearing his trademark shorts, I still don't quite know if this is funny or sad. I have no problem with it, but the point about him being a gay minstrel is valid.

At this point it would be more interesting if he acted normal and revealed his intelligence and humor. This is just simplistic shock value that doesn't really shock anyone anymore.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 5, 2013 10:54:26 AM

10. He's having fun and making fun of himself, and making money too, so what? What could he be other than himself?

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 5, 2013 10:56:02 AM

11. There are days where I want to give Richard Simmons a standing ovation for his kindness and selflessness in helping millions of people overcome obesity and bad eating habits. And then there are other days where I seriously wonder if he battles some kind of mental illness. Pretty obvious where this falls.

Posted by: Dback | Sep 5, 2013 11:08:10 AM

12. I'm not loving the drag thing.

But as someone else said Richard Simmons made the world fit himself. Is he a gay minstrel? Yeah, maybe. But he's made a career out of accepting people for how they are and introducing exercise to their lives.

Sure he's a caricature but I can't bring myself to dislike him. He's a joke but a joke people like. He's harmless, so why bother hating on him?

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 5, 2013 11:13:50 AM

13. I don't have any reason to dislike Richard Simmons as he's only been helpful to many people over the years. Yes, he's a self-promoter, but it doesn't cost me a dime or any of my time.

The one thing I have always wished for him is that he would officially come out. He still dodges that silly question and sticks to his schtick. His business, I guess, but at this point its sad that he still dodges after showing up in drag lately.

Posted by: Princely | Sep 5, 2013 11:55:01 AM

14. This is, I assume, his take on the MTV VA's Cyrus escapade.

Posted by: anon | Sep 5, 2013 12:47:24 PM

15. Disgusting. Self-degradation as a form of entertainment. This is the definition of a minstrel act.

Posted by: Daniel | Sep 5, 2013 1:10:04 PM

16. The man is a legend. There has never been anyone like him nor will there ever be. Keep on doing your thing Richard! We love you.

Posted by: tim | Sep 5, 2013 1:24:54 PM

17. @Tim:

"There has never been anyone like him nor will there ever be."

We can only hope.

Posted by: Ed | Sep 5, 2013 1:36:41 PM

18. the man has saved countless lives. his attitude and demeanor should be an inspiration to anyone and everyone who still worries each day about "what other people will think".

Simmons doesn't care. emulate that and you'll find happiness.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 5, 2013 1:39:39 PM

19. He was pretty heavily abused as a child and I think he's been so oppressed he's never been able to fully come out officially. I think he comes off as really really sad.

Posted by: Brandon H | Sep 5, 2013 3:58:11 PM

20. @Princely:
    I have no idea what his sexual identity or orientation are, and I've never seen him asked (or, therefore, dodging questions about it.
    But his demeanor suggests something unusual.
    If he is bi or gay or trans or intersexed or asexual (or some other category we don't usually think of) then I'm not sure it would be helpful to either that minority group or to his own goals for him to become their unwitting spokesman.
    And if he is straight, he may not want to deflect attention away from the things he wants to discuss and onto very personal and maybe embarrassing relationship issues and/or medical questions.
    He doesn't owe it to the public to open his therapist's or medical files for our consumption.

Posted by: GregV | Sep 5, 2013 4:21:22 PM

21. He seems to be having fun.

Posted by: jarago | Sep 5, 2013 6:25:07 PM

22. I think he's hilarious. He knows what people think and he plays on it. He also laughs all the way to the bank. Good for you, Rich!

Posted by: T | Sep 5, 2013 6:27:56 PM

23. all the world loves a clown. or at least they should...

Posted by: tyto | Sep 5, 2013 9:50:39 PM

24. He has a seriously surreal take on life - the same lack of conformity to social expectations that led to this very odd performance also led to his championing hundreds of thousands of neglected and ridiculed people over the years.

I think he's a wonderful man - and I also cringe sometimes!

Posted by: E. Dallas | Sep 5, 2013 10:15:06 PM

25. People who suffer from bipolar disorder are often bubbly, class clown, life of the party types in public.

But, behind closed doors, when the laughter stops . . . look out.

Hope there's a medical healthcare professional somewhere with an eye on Richard's well-being.

Posted by: FFS | Sep 6, 2013 3:20:08 AM