Catholic Church | Music | Steve Grand

Steve Grand on Being Gay, Catholic, and Proud

Stay_grand

While many people already know Steve Grand by the title "first openly gay male country singer" (in truth a misnomer), few are aware that Grand's Catholic upbringing and faith remain essential parts of his identity and image. A member of a tight-knit Catholic church in the Chicago suburbs, Grand maintains in an interview with The Huffington Post that his close relationship with the Catholic community is 100% compatible with his life as a gay man in the media spotlight.

Grand said he has been both surprised and moved by the reactions to his first video. Fans have declared him a "hero," while critics have accused him of betraying the gay rights movement - both by expressing support for the Catholic Church and by refusing to condemn the Christian therapist he was sent to by his parents to be "cured" of his homosexuality.

"A lot of people have criticized me for playing at Catholic churches, where I made a lot of money, and I was shocked by that," Grand said. "In my mind, I think it could only be a good thing. Ten years ago, I was sitting in those same pews, and if I'd seen an openly gay musician leading the songs of worship in church, that could have really changed my life and saved me many years of feeling that I was somehow wrong."

It what may seem like a surprise to many, Grand's church has been nothing but supportive of him, his identity, and his career. Grand received a standing ovation from his church last month when he stood in front of the congregation and said, "You know, I'm gay. And I think that's okay and I really believe that God loves us for who we are, gay or straight."

Father Kurt Boras, the priest at the church, holds Grand up as a model Catholic and says Grand's visibility has sparked new discussions and dialogue within his congregation about faith and sexuality.

"I've never seen this before. It's opened up conversations with me that are unbelievable, really" he said. "A lot of folks have come to me and said, 'I have a gay daughter, a gay son.' This young man has really opened up some conversations that maybe I would never have had as a pastor and they're coming and saying, 'Can we talk to you?'"

You can check out Grand's newest video, "Stay" right HERE.

Comments

1. Making Sense of Syria - Peggy Noonan's Blog - WSJ http://on.wsj.com/14CQmIZ via @WSJ

Posted by: GB | Sep 10, 2013 6:32:48 PM

2. Madonna made a lot of money off the Catholic Church too. How weird. These trite little life stories inspire what? If you have to swallow that He's gay, He's also Catholic....and who knows what else? If he looked like George Zimmerman, I wouldn't be featured here.

Posted by: Ben | Sep 10, 2013 6:39:02 PM

3. Yawn pretty boy on pretty boy websute

Posted by: Ralph Petrucci | Sep 10, 2013 6:50:49 PM

4. Look, I'm a realist. I dwell in the land of 'reason' (mostly), however - there are others who don't. That's fine, as long as they don't get all evangelical. Live and let live.
    Hate to be Pollyanna about it, but though there may be fundamental disagreement... Respect each other.

Posted by: Geoff | Sep 10, 2013 6:55:02 PM

5. ick......

Posted by: peter | Sep 10, 2013 6:55:06 PM

6. i worked near that suburb & had close friends from there. it must have really made a great change - very, very conservative, borderline redneck. there was always a 'discussion' as to if there were more bars or more churches in it. there were even 2 Catholic Churches directly across the street from each other! and it was a small town.

oh, yeah! There were more bars & they defeated the Sunday 'blue law'...

Posted by: mike/ | Sep 10, 2013 6:59:21 PM

7. As a former Catholic, I wondering when this congregation and this priest are going to get a rebuke from Rome, or is the new pope really different?

Posted by: Jonty Coppersmith | Sep 10, 2013 6:59:50 PM

8. Queenly bitches, the lot of you.

Posted by: Mikey | Sep 10, 2013 7:00:12 PM

9. Wonderful article to read- Keep up the great work Steve!!!

Posted by: Dr. C | Sep 10, 2013 7:13:20 PM

10. Have some more "Lucky Charms" Mikey. You sound Irish. "The lot of you.."

Posted by: Ben | Sep 10, 2013 7:14:40 PM

11. Dr. C : People who think everything is "wonderful" make great victims, and easy marks for door to door vendors.

Posted by: Peter | Sep 10, 2013 7:17:47 PM

12. It's a nice story. This cute gay singer, Steve Grand, now with a moderate level of fame, his success and character has made people in his community proud and made them at the very least acknowledge gay people exist, in their families and communities, if not reexamine their biases. That's a big deal and again proves the power of coming out cannot be understated.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Sep 10, 2013 7:31:15 PM

13. Thanks for the article and link. Unlike some, I do like seeing attractive young men. How he balances being a part of The Church and being Gay is an interesting question. As for the bitchy comments, they always come. Some just to get a reaction, some need to re-enforce their negative world view. Life has enough suffering. I believe that celebrating the joy and aliveness in no way denies what is wrong and needs fixing. Thanks again for the article

Posted by: Dave C. | Sep 10, 2013 7:34:20 PM

14. he's

Posted by: t | Sep 10, 2013 8:08:43 PM

15. its all good until he "sins" in homosexual acts

(unlike priests who rape little boys apparently)

Posted by: t | Sep 10, 2013 8:10:07 PM

16. Wow. This "pretty boy" is so much wiser than the bitchy commenters on this thread. He's courageous and attractive in way more than the physical, speaks intelligently and humanely, and he knows that you catch a lot more flies with honey than vinegar. He's obviously going places with his career, and he'll likely do both himself and gays as a whole a lot of good, while you wallow, alone, in your bitterness.

Posted by: Andifle | Sep 10, 2013 8:18:43 PM

17. sorry can't be catholic and happily gay unless your delusional

the catechism considers gay sex as a mortal sin = not able to get to confession afterward and die then go to hell no ifs ands or butts for mortal sins. Unless one wishes to confess and repent and dies before confession then possible "god" forgives one for the intent to confess

can only be celibate gay and catholic not in mortal sin = straight to hell

so nope, sorry the kid is either delusional and or too weak to break away from the church completly

Posted by: Moz's | Sep 10, 2013 8:39:12 PM

18. Steve Grand is great but he won't be commercially successful, I'm afraid. Women won't buy his music. Women find male homosexuality threatening because it represents rejection of women. It also represents male superiority over women.

Posted by: Bob | Sep 10, 2013 8:40:07 PM

19. Good God, the negativity. I can be Irish Catholic *and* gay, and not a single person can tell me I can't be. Some of you should take a look at yourselves before telling others how they ought to feel about themselves.

Posted by: Mikey | Sep 10, 2013 9:04:40 PM

20. Bob, go see a therapist about those mommy issues !

Steve Grand is the face of the future. Some of the comments here show why it's taken so long - people among us have so much tied to ideas of what it means to be gay, and what it doesn't, they just can't stand it when someone refuses to conform to a gay ideology of despair and accepted victimhood.

This generation, it's having nothing to do with that mess. And that's a GOOD thing.

When we first started getting married, some of the loudest bitching was from gay guys, including many activists, that just couldn't understand why the old gay identity had to die it's deservedly ugly death, and berated gays for getting married, or even wanting to be monogamous.

It was wrong and stifling back then, and it's still wrong now.

You're free to be self limiting and crippled, Steve Grand and his generation and the ones to come aren't going to be the sad little gay clowns sitting int he bars and ghettos anymore.

Posted by: Pookie | Sep 10, 2013 9:06:29 PM

21. Pookie,

Women are opposed to male homosexuality for the reason I mentioned. Even liberal women are opposed to the male homosexual act. It takes away their power.

Posted by: Bob | Sep 10, 2013 9:17:19 PM

22. Steve Grand is a great guy and I'm glad to see that he's still practising his faith and a belief in a Higher Power. He's a good role model for young church-going gays, and it is these people who will make important changes in religion in the future.
    I'm so glad that he didn't go the atheist route and become angry and bitter and filled with hate. The militant atheists at Joe My God are probably frothing at the mouth at this revelation.
    Good for Steve, and to the atheists, go take your Communist-like propaganda somewhere else.
    Steve Grand, YES!!

Posted by: David From Canada | Sep 10, 2013 9:20:26 PM

23. First and foremost I have issues with anyone that blindly follows and professes for the Catholic religion.

Any group or religion that has actively worked to protect pedophiles the way the Catholic church has while maintaining a tax exempt status and a strong anti-gay position should be subject to enhanced public and judicial scrutiny.

Posted by: bkmn | Sep 10, 2013 9:28:55 PM

24. A gay Christian, I can accept. But a gay Catholic? What's next, a Jewish nazi?

Posted by: Michael | Sep 10, 2013 9:32:43 PM

25. Mikey

the church says you can not be sexualy active

PERIOD. A true catholic must accept the pope as the succesor of Peter with the keys to bind up things in heave and on earth = the catechism is the law of the church and PERIOD dude you can not be sexualy active gay

It is mortal sin, accepting the eucharist while in mortal sin of gay sex is itself another mortal sin per the catechism

sorry dude, raised catholic here and the catechism is the law of the "Holy Mother Church" which you must accept as a practicing catholic

it is impossible to be a sexually active gay person and a good catholic not in mortal sin damned to hell

1 or the other must break, your belief in the church and xtianity or your sanity

Posted by: Moz's | Sep 10, 2013 10:02:56 PM