Art and Design | News | Yahoo

Yahoo! Unveils New Logo: VIDEO

Yahoo

Yahoo! unveiled a new logo this morning after 30 days of teases from the company on what it would be. It's not receiving the best reviews.

CEO Marissa Mayer "geeked out" about the logo in a post on Tumblr, in which she writes, in part:

On a personal level, I love brands, logos, color, design, and, most of all, Adobe Illustrator.  I think it’s one of the most incredible software packages ever made.  I’m not a pro, but I know enough to be dangerous :)

So, one weekend this summer, I rolled up my sleeves and dove into the trenches with our logo design team: Bob Stohrer, Marc DeBartolomeis, Russ Khaydarov, and our intern Max Ma.  We spent the majority of Saturday and Sunday designing the logo from start to finish, and we had a ton of fun weighing every minute detail.

We knew we wanted a logo that reflected Yahoo - whimsical, yet sophisticated.  Modern and fresh, with a nod to our history.  Having a human touch, personal.  Proud.

Mayer then posted a "blueprint" video of the design process.

What do you think of the new logo, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. so good to hear yahoo is coming back after being gone so long, i hope they do well. how many years have they been away?

Posted by: northalabama | Sep 5, 2013 8:24:31 AM

2. oh my. if that logo is the result of a Yahoo! team spending their Saturday and Sunday pouring over every minute detail, then it's no wonder that Yahoo! is in a world of hurt.

Posted by: Jaxxon | Sep 5, 2013 8:40:19 AM

3. YAN0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000!

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin the bleacher Preacher | Sep 5, 2013 8:42:28 AM

4. The Logo does not match the modernity of the site's recent redesign. It looks like an adjusted version of Optima, which is a type face I am not fond of. I think they showed better logo options throughout last month. I am disappointed but I will wait and see how it is used throughout the brand before I dig a grave for it.

Posted by: Michael J. Hildebrand | Sep 5, 2013 8:42:49 AM

5. Well, they tried.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Sep 5, 2013 8:55:46 AM

6. They forced all of their telecommuting employees to come back into the office and that was the best logo they could come up with??

At least it's not as nasty as the logo changes at Wendy's and Arby's this year..

Posted by: Michi Bradley | Sep 5, 2013 9:03:21 AM

7. " if that logo is the result of a Yahoo! team"

That logo is the result of the CEO getting personally involved. But that's why they pay them the big bucks...

Posted by: BobN | Sep 5, 2013 9:05:08 AM

8. That just looks like the Optima font with some slight tweaks.

Posted by: David in the O.C. | Sep 5, 2013 9:09:58 AM

9. OMG, OMG, OMG, I'm going to start using Yahoo! now!!! WTF?

Posted by: skepticalcicada | Sep 5, 2013 9:19:06 AM

10. Hate when CEOs get involved in design. Let the pros handle it, or you'll always end up with a conservative mess.

Posted by: brian | Sep 5, 2013 9:33:58 AM

11. As a designer who creates logos for corporations all over the planet, this offends me on a number of levels.

The fact that a company as large as Yahoo would devote only 2 days to the exploration and creation of a logo is completely insane.

The fact that the CEO was involved during the design phase instead of only the approval phase is irksome.

And the results pretty much speak for themselves. This "new" logo is neither fresh nor sophisticated and breaks absolutely zero new ground in design.

You get what you pay for, Yahoo.

Posted by: johnny | Sep 5, 2013 9:45:38 AM

12. Could someone tell me what was wrong with the old logo?

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Sep 5, 2013 9:54:54 AM

13. It's terrible and embarrassing when so much trumpeted "work" ends with a product so "meh". Look, if it now burped the baby and washed the car, too, maybe...but...um...

Posted by: Geoff | Sep 5, 2013 10:03:59 AM

14. That CEO is an idiot. If only somehow could have had the power to appeal to her good sense and tell her to stay the hell away. I know nothing about design programs, and I could have created that in 5 minutes.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 5, 2013 11:28:40 AM

15. It's a logo. Who cares?

Posted by: Rob | Sep 5, 2013 1:07:30 PM

16. Pathetic. REALLY pathetic.

A logo is very important, as it's all about image and how the consumer relates (or not) to that image. This is called "branding". When it's done well, it can do wonders. When not, well, look where Yahoo has been going recently. I agree, leave it to the professionals, it's a métier, graphic design.

What's the weird matrix this thing is sitting on? Doesn't have anything to do with Illustrator as far as I can see…

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Sep 5, 2013 1:31:56 PM

17. As a graphic designer I can unequivocally say that this new logo sucks...

Posted by: Robert M. | Sep 5, 2013 3:04:35 PM

18. poring* over every detail.

not "pouring"

i've seen this a LOT in the last few mos. yikes!

Posted by: redball | Sep 5, 2013 3:11:51 PM

19. the image shown at top (with the grid background) is NOT the yahoo logo.

go to 0:51 in the video to see the actual logo. it's actually kinda cute.

and the video makes you like it even more bc of all the intricacies involved (i'm not a designer so seeing the process depicted was pretty eye-opening for me)

Posted by: redball | Sep 5, 2013 3:15:17 PM

20. Johnny - what you said. A whole weekend? On Illustrator? Wow.

Posted by: You'reTheRhoda | Sep 5, 2013 7:26:37 PM

21. That took you that long? I understand design. I also understand when you're just wasting time and money.

Posted by: Michael | Sep 5, 2013 7:36:57 PM

22. I don't think I have ever appreciated any of their logos. Yahoo logos always appear as though an enthusiastic, but clueless, teenager has designed it. That's just my opinion - take from that what you will.

They have tried, and ultimately failed, to say too many different things at once. The resulting logo is mediocre at best. To me it shows "lazy panic", and too many people involved.

I guess it could have been worse. They could have used a photo as part of their logo. Or comic sans.

To sum it up: Really meh.

Posted by: Victoria | Sep 5, 2013 8:53:57 PM

23. wow. a "designer" wrote a word. one word in hollow block letters. thousands are discussing, debating, analyzing and critiquing the word. one single word made up of five block letters. this world has gone completely mad.

Posted by: the crystal methodist | Sep 5, 2013 10:15:58 PM

24. Their email has gotten all buggy in the past few months. Mayer must be micromanaging that mess too.

Posted by: JD | Sep 5, 2013 11:03:08 PM

25. I had no idea Yahoo was still around...huh.

Posted by: Mr Y | Sep 6, 2013 6:46:28 AM