Music | News

Baby Brought to Tears By Mother's Singing: VIDEO

Baby

There are few thins as beautiful as your mother's voice, as evidenced by this video of 10-month-old Mary Lynne Leroux brought to tears by the sound of it.

Watch the super sweet clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via gawker)

Comments

1. Infants that young have very basic emotional reactions. Notice that the child was also laughing during the singing. I really think it's a stretch to say the mother's singing moved the baby to tears the way it would for adults.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 29, 2013 11:14:13 AM

2. What a terrible mother - imagine making your own kid cry so you'll get some likes on Facebook.

Posted by: MaryM | Oct 29, 2013 11:25:03 AM

3. I think the baby was actually reacting to emotions in her mother's delivery of the song. That's incredible ('course I've never raised a baby) Kid is going to grow up to be a genius...I hope.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 29, 2013 11:31:38 AM

4. Beautiful. Thanks for posting things like this, Andy. It's a nice, stop-and-smell-the-roses, break.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Oct 29, 2013 11:37:06 AM

5. Probably just gas.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 29, 2013 11:38:10 AM

6. Children really are hideous.

Posted by: MaryM | Oct 29, 2013 11:47:22 AM

7. I think it is more likely the baby was responding to what she was seeing, since singing a song like that was probably causing visible emotional pain on the mom's face.

It is also pretty clear from the beginning that the mom knew this was going to cause her baby to tear up, and that's why she wanted to tape it. It is even possible that the song has been used several times at this point, and the baby is having a Pavlovian response to previous stimuli.

It seems a tad sadistic to me - since an infant is unlikely to have the emotional intelligence to understand what is happening. On the other hand, we consider it to be good parenting if a mom or dad can make a baby laugh - and learning how to deal with emotions is a part of the deal. I guess it is the posting it to youtube that puts it in the weird category for me.

Posted by: Don | Oct 29, 2013 12:06:04 PM

8. I agree with @Marym - I simply couldn't sit there singing to my child only to see my child cry at the sound. The woman should shut up! She's an idiot.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Oct 29, 2013 12:07:49 PM

9. Idiotic! Most babies hate being sung to like that. Lullabies, okay; but actual singing? My daughter cries any time I try to pull something like that. Sing along to a Disney soundtrack and the kid's fine. Sing acapella and she wells up just like that baby.

Posted by: Morgan | Oct 29, 2013 12:20:42 PM

10. Why would you force your infant to hear such a horrible voice? Someone needs to call Child Protective Services.

Posted by: SaltyDog | Oct 29, 2013 12:25:57 PM

11. i agree...kid was probably hurting from the sound, and no emotion from mommy's face.

Posted by: mak | Oct 29, 2013 12:27:24 PM

12. Cute baby.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Oct 29, 2013 12:32:11 PM

13. When will I learn *not* to read the comments? Good lord, you people are depressing.

*This* was precious... thanks for posting it.

Posted by: kaccompany | Oct 29, 2013 12:40:18 PM

14. What a mean lady, she made that baby cry!

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Oct 29, 2013 12:56:00 PM

15. Sorry, but this is not precious. This is stomach-turning.

A 10-month-old responds to facial expressions. (This is basic child development that every parent should know, or at least deduce from observation.) When a baby sees her mother’s face look tortured, she feels displeasure.

Posted by: Carlie | Oct 29, 2013 1:01:52 PM

16. And some kids have not-so-great mothers and end up adopted by two loving dads.

Posted by: DavidR | Oct 29, 2013 1:03:08 PM

17. I think that was really remarkable--I've been around a lot of babies in my time (and helped raise my sister from birth), and I don't think I've ever seen a reaction that complex, where the baby was obviously happy, yet still emotional in its response, literally crying with happiness. Wow. (And yes, this lady has a good voice, and is clearly a loving parent, so begone trolls.)

Posted by: Dback | Oct 29, 2013 1:15:44 PM

18. @KACCOMPANY Ditto that. Some really shallow, soulless people here. Mom's got a beautiful voice by the way.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 29, 2013 1:19:09 PM

19. "few thins"? , Spellcheck please!

Posted by: elwoodl | Oct 29, 2013 1:33:33 PM

20. 1. The mom and baby are having an amazing moment, and the response complex as Dback points out.

2. People project a whole of of issues.

Posted by: KJ | Oct 29, 2013 1:34:54 PM

21. Mom has a beautiful voice and a gorgeous little baby.

Posted by: Andy | Oct 29, 2013 1:47:25 PM

22. kaccompany: Yes, the trolling and bitching is really tiresome.

Some people just can't enjoy anything at all. The video and the baby are beautiful

Posted by: jjose712 | Oct 29, 2013 1:50:39 PM

23. Not as tiresome as the cultural illiteracy.

A short article, written at an 8th-grade level:

Posted by: Carlie | Oct 29, 2013 2:07:06 PM

24. Well, we have a critic in the family. I will let you guys decide where does he stand on Mommy's talent.

Posted by: Lindoro Almaviva | Oct 29, 2013 2:10:02 PM

25. Beautiful baby...beautiful mother...what wonderful love!!!

Posted by: Mark | Oct 29, 2013 3:24:18 PM