Art and Design | Banksy | New York | News

Banksy Sets up Shop Near Central Park, Few Notice: VIDEO

Banksy

You missed the chance to get an original Banksy over the weekend. Apparently a lot of people did. "Yesterday I set up a stall in the park selling 100% authentic original signed Banksy canvases. For $60 each," the street artist, who's holding a month-long 'exhibition' in New York City, announced on his website.

'More Out Than In' will be running all month. Find it when and where you can. More works here.

Video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Sick to my stomach about this. I would have bought them all. Love this guy!

Posted by: PKNY | Oct 14, 2013 9:46:33 AM

2. I'm sure he thinks there's some lesson in people passing up amazing things that are right under their noses. To me, the lesson is that his art's value is relative to the context it's in. A stencil on a canvas isn't even worth $60. To make out with $420 seems good to me.

Posted by: andy | Oct 14, 2013 9:50:55 AM

3. No fair!

Posted by: Reality | Oct 14, 2013 9:54:39 AM

4. A work of art's value is only that which someone is willing to pay for it, regardless of what the artist or anyone else thinks it's worth at the time.

This is the standard for art sales and there's always a lot of shock and embarrassment at auctions due to this fact.

Posted by: johnny | Oct 14, 2013 10:09:17 AM

5. awesome!! love this idea

Posted by: notice | Oct 14, 2013 11:00:43 AM

6. What's a banksy

Posted by: Will | Oct 14, 2013 11:18:39 AM

7. Don't love his art either, but Banksy (kind of the anti-Damien Hirst, which places Mr. B higher on my list) has made an interesting point here; and either knocked down the value of his previously auctioned pieces or made a few smart street buyers a lot richer.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Oct 14, 2013 11:59:58 AM

8. Graffiti demonstrates there's a fine line between art & vandalism.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Oct 14, 2013 12:33:28 PM