Lawrence King | News

Documentary About The Murder Of Lawrence King Shows Teachers, Jurors Sympathized With His Killer: VIDEO

Jurors

On Monday night HBO aired Valentine Road, a documentary of the murder of high schooler Lawrence "Larry" King by his classmate Brandon McInerney. Some of the clips available from the show are positively gut-wrenching, particularly when King's former 7th grade teacher Shirley Brown says, without an ounce of shame, that:

"When he asked me what to do about the situation [of his orientation], my response to him was, 'Nothing! What to do about the situation is 'nothing,' and to keep it private, and to dwell upon on it.' Larry shouldn't have expressed himself so blatantly, openly transexual."

He came to her for help, and Ms. Brown tried instead to make him feel shame.

Arguably worse are the attitudes of some of the jurors who can't seem to quite grasp the gravity of the crime of one student murdering another, clucking amongst themselves as if McInerney was an 8-year-old child who had gotten into a fight rather than a 14-year-old young adult who deliberately killed his classmate. They also seem intent on making sure that King bore some of the responsibility for his own murder. Said jurors Diane Michaels and Karen McElhaney to each other:

"Where are the civil rights of the one being taunted by another person who is cross-dressing? They have to address that, it's very important. No, it wasn't addressed, and he had no one he could turn to because the school was so pro-Larry King's civil rights. But where was Brandon's civil rights?"
"It was the high heels, I think it was the makeup, the behavior..."
"Because Marina..."
"Yes, she had a girlfriend, they were told not to hold hands in school, so they stopped."
"She got it."
"Exactly."
"And Larry didn't get it. And had he followed her example..."
"We wouldn't be here today."

It's remarkable they didn't blame King for the gun being loaded. The video clips are tough to watch, but if you have the stomach for them, you can see both of the clips quoted above over at Gawker.

Comments

1. BARF!!!

Posted by: CB | Oct 9, 2013 7:19:39 AM

2. I have this saved on my DVR although I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to watch it.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Oct 9, 2013 7:33:18 AM

3. Blood thirsty parasitic non-human bigots.

Posted by: Sean | Oct 9, 2013 8:06:16 AM

4. It's the age old "blame to victim" story. Women deserve to be raped because they "entice" men with their womanliness and gay people deserve to killed because they're gay.
    The Gay Panic defense. It's 2013. When will this stop?

Posted by: Gigi | Oct 9, 2013 8:20:36 AM

5. Ugh.

Posted by: Joesph Foster | Oct 9, 2013 8:38:24 AM

6. Jail all that filth!

Posted by: litper | Oct 9, 2013 8:57:13 AM

7. The type of homophobia expressed by these women is an extension of the gender war against men who dare to challenge the rules as invented by women.

Note that women expect us to accept their own cross-dressing (wearing trousers) but not men wearing dresses.

Posted by: Adrenan P | Oct 9, 2013 8:58:42 AM

8. So being an intolerant teenager gives you licence to murder a classmate in cold blood? I worry for the future of our schools.

Posted by: Dex | Oct 9, 2013 9:21:58 AM

9. They left out this bit:

Juror 1: Fags. Am I right?

Juror 2: Amen!

Posted by: Robert | Oct 9, 2013 9:27:19 AM

10. No, thank you. I've suffered enough ignorant white trash bigots in my life, I do not need to volunteer to watch them on a website. Hell all I really have to do is watch the 113th Congress!

Posted by: Sean | Oct 9, 2013 9:50:38 AM

11. I hope that in 25 year's time, when LGBT rights have progressed a lot farther than they have now, these people are rightly viewed as ignorant and bigoted, by the populace at large. I do have faith that things are changing, but stories like this turn my stomach.

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Oct 9, 2013 10:07:59 AM

12. Sigh.

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 9, 2013 10:38:42 AM

13. Damn, I missed this and I wanted to see it. I hope I can find it on HBO On Demand!

Posted by: Lucas H | Oct 9, 2013 10:58:43 AM

14. Those who can't do, teach.

Posted by: anon | Oct 9, 2013 11:13:48 AM

15. Unfuckable women to the rescue.

Posted by: twostepcub (@twostepcub) | Oct 9, 2013 11:52:32 AM

16. Lol. Look at all the hatred directed at these folks for stating their opinion. Too bad, folks. They have a point. The point is not that the murder was justified. The killer was convicted and is in prison, as he should be. The point is that King was not a pure angel who was just minding his own business. It is pretty clear that King was not a typical gay kid, if he was even gay at all. He was clearly caught up in transgender behavior and may well have identified not as gay, but as a hetero trans "girl."

Like a lot of trans people, King had poor judgment and was unable to assess the risks of his conduct. King taunted McInerney, trying to suggest to the whole school that McInerney was gay and in some sort of relationship with King. Well, you bait a 14-year old boy and you just might get a violent reaction.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 9, 2013 1:18:58 PM

17. @ Steve @ 1:18:58 --

Take out all the other stuff and re-read the last sentence: "Well, you bait a 14-year old boy and you just might get a violent reaction."

And if it were a "real" girl? Just one he didn't want to date?

Among the many lessons we are supposed to learn in life is how to reject someone, that someone might find you attractive but you don't have to find them attractive, but you should be courteous in your rejection. The teenage years are as good as any to start practicing this...if you haven't already learned to negotiate unreciprocated friendships in kindergarden.

A violent response is never, ever appropriate unless you are physically, immediately at risk.

Posted by: olympiasepiriot | Oct 9, 2013 1:41:29 PM

18. Steve, it's kind of funny how much you sound like the right wing bigots whenever they rail against the "homofascists" and their "recruitment of our poor innocent children".

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Oct 9, 2013 1:52:48 PM

19. Absolutely appalling! The teen murderer's civil rights were violated because another teen cross-dresses? I found all this very disturbing. This is blaming the victim.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 9, 2013 1:54:44 PM

20. You're scum, Steve. Hopefully violence finds you.

Posted by: Mikey | Oct 9, 2013 2:14:42 PM

21. @Steve

Like a lot of white supremacists, McInerney had poor judgment and was unable to access the risk of his behavior.

The jury decided, in direct contradiction of evidence, that McInerney was a pure angel who was minding his own business. He owned white supremacist literature and clothing and objects with white supremacist gang symbols. There was expert testimony explaining the connection between white supremacy and violence. There was expert testimony that McInerney was a member of the local white supremacist gang.

There was an obvious, premeditated, bias-based, murder with 30 eye witnesses, yet it took two trials to get a conviction. What emotion should be directed at these jurors?

Posted by: Carlie | Oct 9, 2013 3:10:56 PM

22. Steve, you need help if you think reacting with disgust to the apathy and malevolence of adult teachers toward a 15yo murder victim is the same as "hate."

Posted by: Matthw Retenmund | Oct 9, 2013 4:29:27 PM

23. @Mikey:

Thanks for proving my point. You felt provoked by my comment, and you responded by wishing violence on me. Presumably, you are an adult, yet you still felt that impulse and you felt justified in putting it down in writing. Now you can understand why it was so dangerous for King to provoke a 14-year old boy with reduced impulse control. And not with a single comment on a blog, but in person and on a daily basis in front of peers.

TheDrDonna:

I have no idea what you are talking about. I said nothing about recruitment or fascists. King was not trying to "recruit" McInerney. Just the opposite. He was taunting him, knowing that McInerney found his overtures - made in school in front of peers - to be not tempting, but offensive. King kept doing it. Not to recruit or seduce, but to provoke McInerney to rage. Well, he succeeded.

OLYMPIASEPIRIOT:

You spend a lot of time explaining why McInerney was wrong. But there is no need to argue that point. I said as much. I think everyone agrees that what he did was wrong. He was convicted and he is in the prison system today.

The reason these documentary clips became hot is b/c the teacher and some jurors pointed out that King harassed McInerney. They are right. King's case was very different from the typical gaybashing in school case. In the vast majority of these cases, they gay kid will go out of his way to avoid conflict in school over sexuality. He is pursued by bullies despite his or her best efforts to make peace.

By contrast, King, who may not even have been gay, went out of his way to confront and provoke, without knowing or understanding the risks involved. He even followed McInerney into the bathroom to harass him there. I don't see any reason to demonize the teacher or the jurors for making truthful statements.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 9, 2013 4:30:23 PM

24. @Steve. Your blindness to your own ignorance is not surprising. Most bigots truly believe whatever horrible thing they're saying, without any awareness of how much they sound like other bigots. Given your obvious anti-trans animus, attempting to explain it to you would be a waste of time.

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Oct 9, 2013 4:38:37 PM

25. Anyone who is Gay and has been bullied would see the injustice.

Steve, obviously, does not.

Makes me wonder about Steve...

Posted by: Mark | Oct 9, 2013 5:19:32 PM