Bullying | Education | News

Texas Father Publicly Humiliates His Son for Being a Bully: VIDEO

Iamabully

A father in Killeen, Texas made his son stand by the side of a busy road with a sign reading "I am a bully. Honk if you hate bullies" as punishment for bullying several times at school, KCEN-TV reports:

His father, Jose Lagares, says he came up with the punishment after his son got in trouble for bullying several times at school.

"Bullying is also a form of public humiliation. Maybe he understands that when he humiliates someone publicly that doesn't feel good," said Lagares, "Hopefully he'll take that with him so the next time he tries to bully someone he'll think about it twice."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

kcentv.com - KCEN HD - Waco, Temple, and Killeen

Comments

1. wow. terrific technique. that kid'll never forget this lesson, and, God willing, for the rest of his life will understand what it means to walk in the shoes of others. I believe such a lesson to be fundamental to a decent society. I wish conservatives could get their heads around it.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Oct 4, 2013 11:18:30 AM

2. This needs to go viral: I'm posting it to FB and Twitter.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Oct 4, 2013 11:19:14 AM

3. I think your headline is very misleading. It makes the father look abusive. I think he is a great parent and justified in his choice of punishment. What a valuable life lesson this kid is learning. Now he has a taste of what the bullied kids feel. I wish more parents today acted like parents and not "friends" to their kids.

Posted by: BuckeyeWxGuy | Oct 4, 2013 11:22:13 AM

4. This is child abuse. Honk if you "hate" bullies? Do we really want this kid to feel hated? Odds are he already suffers from low self-esteem, as most bullies do. This could exacerbate the problem.

Posted by: Peter | Oct 4, 2013 11:23:00 AM

5. nope, that's terrible. bullies bully because they already feel inferior, not because they're invincible. If someone bullies others the problem usually lies in the family and should be treated accordingly.

Posted by: me | Oct 4, 2013 11:24:10 AM

6. There's actually some good research out of Australia that shows that public shaming, if done correctly (they call it reintegrative shaming) and with an appropriate population, can be transformational for people who transgress social norms and/or the law.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 4, 2013 11:29:12 AM

7. Social workers and sociologists have long affirmed that bullies bully because they feel inferior, often because of abuse, mistreatment, and being bullied at home.

Is it any surprise this child bullies his classmates when his parents' form of discipline is public shame? A good parent leads by example, does not public shame their children, and certainly does not use psychological trauma to inflict a "lesson."

Anyone who thinks this is good parenting knows nothing about child rearing, bullying, or healthy social behaviors.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Oct 4, 2013 11:31:47 AM

8. It's Nelson from The Simpsons.

Posted by: Ben Nevis | Oct 4, 2013 11:36:43 AM

9. This reminds me of when I was younger and my mother would slap me for hitting my siblings while saying "You don't hit people."

Posted by: Kieran | Oct 4, 2013 11:38:08 AM

10. Was this photo taken in Russia?

Posted by: OP | Oct 4, 2013 11:41:33 AM

11. The only thing I would change about this is I would have had the sign read, "I'm a Bully! Honk if you hate BULLYING".

The way the sign reads it, unintentionally, calls for people to hate his son.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Oct 4, 2013 11:45:29 AM

12. Different cultures raise their children differently. Maybe he'd rather that than get the chancla.

Posted by: MIke | Oct 4, 2013 11:47:10 AM

13. "Hopefully he'll take that with him so the next time he tries to bully someone he'll think about it twice." Yeah, or he'll be really angry at his father and take it out on another kid.

Posted by: MickleSt. | Oct 4, 2013 11:48:08 AM

14. I guess we know where he got it from. The apple don't fall to far..

Posted by: Ajai | Oct 4, 2013 11:50:32 AM

15. *too

Posted by: Ajai | Oct 4, 2013 11:51:05 AM

16. *too

Posted by: Ajai | Oct 4, 2013 11:51:20 AM

17. STOP !
    Enough with the amateur armchair psychologist BS comments already.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 4, 2013 11:54:46 AM

18. now we know where the kid learned to bully: his father. shame.

Posted by: Aaron | Oct 4, 2013 12:05:52 PM

19. At least he is a father that's involved with raising his child in a way he believes to be civil.

Posted by: gb | Oct 4, 2013 12:06:50 PM

20. If the father had made his son do this for no reason, THAT would be bullying.

Doing this to teach his son how his victims feel is called PARENTING.

Some bullies act out because they have esteem issues, but most bullies do it because they are little sh*ts whose parents don't do their f*ck*ng jobs.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 4, 2013 12:10:31 PM

21. Terrible parenting

Posted by: danswon | Oct 4, 2013 12:10:49 PM

22. oh, those poor bullies, those poor rapists, those poor violence criminals, those murderers and their suffering of low self-esteem. There’s no need for juvenile detentions and prison systems anymore.

I agree with the Tampazeke’s comment suggesting of the instead sign "I'm a Bully! Honk if you hate BULLYING".

Posted by: AndyTowlette | Oct 4, 2013 12:19:42 PM

23. People have forgotten what shame is and they don't instill healthy shame in their children. This is a good way to make sure this kid learns it and doesn't forget.

A little humiliation never hurt anyone when it's earned and justified.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Oct 4, 2013 12:19:58 PM

24. I would have gotten ready to honk until I saw the word "hate." I think it should have been a positive message, like "Honk if you appreciate my plan to change my ways."

Posted by: Matt | Oct 4, 2013 12:29:27 PM

25. hmmm, well Im torn on this one.....its better then being slapped/beat by your dad? ..this way - you stand out there - hold a sign for 2-3hrs-whatever, then afterwords...your dad takes you home, has a talk with you as to WHY that was your punishment - making you understand, and you never bully again....dad, says I love you- you hug...bully goes away....?

Posted by: disgusted american | Oct 4, 2013 12:34:57 PM