Cory Booker | New Jersey | News | Steve Lonegan

Cory Booker Wins NJ Senate Race: VIDEO

Newark mayor and LGBT ally Cory Booker has won the special election to fill Senator Frank Lautenberg's seat in the U.S. Senate, defeating Republican Steve Lonegan, Reuters reports:

BookerBooker, who had been heavily favored in polls, defeated conservative Republican Steve Lonegan, a former small-town mayor, according to tallies published online by The New York Times, Politico and the Star-Ledger newspaper.

The tallies showed Booker with an 11 point lead over Lonegan with more than 90 percent of the votes counted.

Booker, 44, spoke to cheering supporters in Newark where he thanked them for turning out to vote against the backdrop of the 16-day government shutdown and partisan battling in Washington.

"It would have been easy to listen to this frustrating negativity and stay home today. But here in New Jersey, more than a million people rejected cynicism and came out on a Wednesday, in the middle of October, three weeks before we have another election, to fight the cynicism," he said.

"You didn't just vote, you believed that your vote and choice mattered," he said.

Watch Rachel Maddow announce the news, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He's a great speaker/orator. His acceptance speech was wonderful. I think he may be better in the senate than a city executive.

Posted by: Markt | Oct 17, 2013 12:48:45 AM

2. Clinton / Booker 2016!

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Oct 17, 2013 2:06:38 AM

3. @NOTSAFEFORWORK Ha! I had the same idea. Clinton/Booker 2016 is an intriguing concept . . .

Posted by: Mike | Oct 17, 2013 3:40:59 AM

4. This is wonderful. His victory speech was indeed a good one.

Btw, notice how he's wearing a purple tie. Coincidently, one day after his win on Oct 17th is GLAAD's Spirit Day and they are asking people to wear purple in a stand against bullying. But is it a coincidence on his part? I think not.

Posted by: Jude | Oct 17, 2013 7:56:36 AM

5. I hope Cory will now feel free to come out of the closet!

Posted by: David | Oct 17, 2013 8:24:13 AM

6. Think that Cory Booker is a staunch LGBT ally and NOT necessarily gay himself. (Sorry David.) Have been impressed with him for MANY reasons. His ideas, his speaking ability and by his direct action. Not the least of which is when he disobeyed his own security staff, pushing them aside and choosing instead to follow a mother's screams and the faint calls of "I'm here, I'm here. Help! I'm here" He then ran into a burning building and emerged with the trapped occupant safely in his arms. The burned and bandaged Booker later told reporters that he didn't feel like a hero. He simply said "I felt terror".

Posted by: Mike | Oct 17, 2013 10:32:46 AM

7. Great, but he sleepwalked his way to victory in an attempt to conserve cash for next year's election. He barely made any appearances out of Newark or Essex and Hudson counties.

Posted by: anon | Oct 17, 2013 12:09:36 PM

8. @ "He barely made any appearances out of Newark or Essex and Hudson counties."

No, darlin', from what I read (and saw on MSNBC) he barely made an appearance in New Jersey.

But that' all right. If Hillary can do it so can he. I'll be voting for her in 2016. And I'll probably be voiting for Corey in 2020 ...from my grave.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 17, 2013 1:02:08 PM

9. @ "He barely made any appearances out of Newark or Essex and Hudson counties."

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 17, 2013 1:02:09 PM

10. he is just a fame whore. long on rhetoric and short on accomplishments. i hope hillary wont pick him as her mate.

and yes please, its safe outside the closet now.

Posted by: eric | Oct 17, 2013 4:07:48 PM

11. Another power gone from the Tea Party...one candidate at a time. Whoo, Hooo!!!

Posted by: Sam | Oct 17, 2013 4:23:05 PM

12. love him. He's smart, pragmatic, inspiring and in touch with the needs of the people.

Posted by: jonvincent | Oct 17, 2013 9:50:01 PM