Alabama | Gay Marriage | Jon Stewart | Mississippi | Nate Silver

BigGayDeal.com

'The Daily Show' Sends Stunt Gay Couple to Test Mississippi and Alabama's Homophobia: VIDEO

Alabama_mississippi

After consulting with Nate Silver about which states will be the last to get gay marriage, The Daily Show's Al Madrigal brought a stunt gay couple to Alabama and Mississippi to see "which one of these backwoods, inbred, homophobic states will swim the longest against the tide of history."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Silver

Comments

1. That video only plays to US residents. Shame...

Posted by: danswon | Oct 30, 2013 8:59:00 AM

2. Video not available in my country (Canada)...somebody please give a brief synopsis. I think this is interesting.

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 30, 2013 8:59:22 AM

3. It'll be available at "thecomedynetwork.ca", as the (rather cute) message on the screen says.

...but it is irritating when they restrict like that.

Posted by: James in Toronto | Oct 30, 2013 9:05:01 AM

4. Woohoo! It plays fine in Chile :)
    (Tip: try downloading yesterday's show from The Pirate Bay, or look this clip up on youtube -- there's always someone bound to upload it).

Posted by: topher | Oct 30, 2013 9:09:25 AM

5. I think you should include GA in this... It is just as bad as Miss and AL.

Posted by: Robert H | Oct 30, 2013 9:20:14 AM

6. Ok, voilà:

Posted by: topher | Oct 30, 2013 9:30:24 AM

7. Al Madrigal is incredibly handsome! I found it hard to pay attention to the story, haha

Posted by: jake | Oct 30, 2013 9:35:34 AM

8. @Jeff -- the clip is a comedic sketch wherein they pose a couple of male actors as a gay couple, dressed as Alabama and Mississippi country-folk, and then place them in situations where they might expect to be harassed. Instead they were just-about ignored, or given positive reinforcement. In the last part they have the couple propose in a Waffle House (supposedly a bastion of intolerance) and they get applause when the partner says "yes." The sketch is cute, but not really indicative of anything -- it's just a hypothetical which has no 'control' subject to validate it. Cute idea, though.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Oct 30, 2013 9:37:31 AM

9. Video not available in my country (Canada)...somebody please give a brief synopsis. I think this is interesting.

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 30, 2013 8:59:22 AM

..its basically a video telling how Ignorant th south is.....did the video make the hype - not exactly..but in reality Alabama and Mississippi WILL have to BE GRAGGED into the 21st century when it comes to RIGHTS..thats the basic premise

Posted by: disgusted american | Oct 30, 2013 9:40:52 AM

10. Hahaha. Not what I expected at all. Cute. I was ready for outrage.

Posted by: AJ | Oct 30, 2013 9:46:10 AM

11. "Did you say fisting license?"

Posted by: D.R.H. | Oct 30, 2013 10:00:25 AM

12. Nate Silver still gets me kinda hot.

Posted by: Frank | Oct 30, 2013 10:01:31 AM

13. LMAO!!!

Posted by: Joe | Oct 30, 2013 10:16:26 AM

14. Nicely illustrates that reality is usually more complex and much more fun than lazy stereotypes would have one believe. Thanks for posting, Andy!

Posted by: David | Oct 30, 2013 10:17:14 AM

15. THANKS!

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 30, 2013 10:17:49 AM

16. North Alabama here. Lived here all my 48 yrs and once high school was over I have never had a problem. I really don't know if its the Southern thing of putting on a polite face while mentally vomiting or what but no one has ever said an unkind word to me or my partner of 14 yrs. I even think the cashiers at walmart get a giggle when he and I bicker at the check out for what the other one forgot to pick up.

Posted by: Darren | Oct 30, 2013 10:31:33 AM

17. I know Doug Jones and knew many of those places in the video.... my home town. Laughing so hard I have tears. Sadly, their fashion was just about mainstream here.

Makes me wonder how that would have gone over if those guys were sissies.

Posted by: Bob Burns | Oct 30, 2013 10:54:37 AM

18. Everyone was too full of food in the Waffle House to hate anybody.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 30, 2013 11:03:12 AM

19. More like they were too sick and bloated from Waffle House food to even stand. It makes Denny's look mighty fancy.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 30, 2013 11:21:18 AM

20. It was a good illustration that even in places where a landslide of the voters lean hard right (say, 55%-45% or greater), there is a significant portion of the population that believes in a forward-thinking progressive America. Don't give up on them or condemn the entire region.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Oct 30, 2013 11:37:06 AM

21. They should send this same couple into poor inner city communities and see the reaction they get.

Posted by: Perry | Oct 30, 2013 11:59:48 AM

22. Since when does Nate Silver look like young Al Gore?

Posted by: AG | Oct 30, 2013 12:47:41 PM

23. Send them to Harlem.

Posted by: MIke | Oct 30, 2013 12:52:15 PM

24. When people know they are on camera their reactions probably aren't the same as they otherwise would be.

Posted by: Jonty Coppersmith | Oct 30, 2013 1:18:58 PM

25. @Mike

I was JUST about to post the same EXACT thing... Wow.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 30, 2013 1:32:35 PM