I'm Gay | News

Happy National Coming Out Day: VIDEO

Hrc

National Coming Out Day turns 25 today and in honor of its silver birthday, the Human Rights Campaign put together a video chronicling some seminal coming out moments in media over the past twenty five years.

Check it out AFTER THE JUMP...

What moments do you remember most?

Comments

1. Inspiring!! WIsh I knew where my Coming Out Day t-shirt was....(not that it'd probably fit me some 25 years on...)

Posted by: Dback | Oct 11, 2013 12:58:07 PM

2. What if who you are is a nondescript nobody? Come out anyway! If you can hold a sign banning the Olympics you're great.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 11, 2013 1:34:57 PM

3. Steve: seeing as you're a nondescript nobody and a major troll, I'm not surprised that you'd feel the need to rain negativity all over this comment thread.

Posted by: Tyler | Oct 11, 2013 2:07:44 PM

4. I hate myself so much. I sometimes lose the self-hatred a bit when I'm a mean anonymous person on the Internet, but it never really goes away.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 11, 2013 3:45:08 PM

5. Boy, that slogan is needlessly wordy and confusing. How about: "I'm now me!"

Posted by: anon | Oct 11, 2013 4:25:30 PM

6. I came OUT nationally in May of 1977,when I created the ANITA BRYANT's HUSBAND IS A HOMO SAPIEN! T-shirt via United Press International.I have been openly gay to my friends since 1960. I quit a Chicago high school in 1953 because I had "Those" tendencies and then it was taboo just to know someone queer,let a lone be gay! I am glad to say... Chicago has turned into a great gay friendly city and last year was I honored to be inducted into the Chicago Senior Citizen Hall of Fame for my continuous work for GLBT Community.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | Oct 12, 2013 3:24:49 AM

7. At 86, I guess my coming out as Gay was when my Boy Scout Master put me in the "Queer" Patrol of our Troop in 1939. (In those days, the Boy Scouts was all inclusive. Why did it change?) The other three Patrols were 'Strait" (At least that is what they were supposed to be.) At Summer Camp no one but the life guards wore bathing suits when we went swimming in the lake.

What happened that made the human Body something to be ashamed of? If "GOD" did not want us to be proud of what he made us look like, He would have covered us all over with thick hair.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Oct 19, 2013 8:07:35 PM