Gay Quotes | Josh Hutcherson | News

'Hunger Games' Star And LGBT Ally Josh Hutcherson: 'I Would Probably List Myself As Mostly Straight'

In a new interview with Out Magazine, Josh Hutcherson, who stars as Peeta in The Hunger Games, made an interesting claim about his sexuality. Instead of opting for a definitive statement of heterosexuality, the handsome twenty-one year old came out with something a little more nuanced.

JoshyOut Magazine reports:

We’ve barely started lunch, and I’m nowhere near my usual open-ended sexuality question, when Josh Hutcherson offers this: “I would probably list myself as mostly straight.”

That “mostly” is what makes Hutcherson winningly uninhibited, but also typical of his generation. New research published in The New York Times in 2010 shows that an increasing number of guys his age identify as “mostly straight,” and Hutcherson’s ease in embracing ambiguity over neat and secure boxes speaks to his self-assurance.

“Maybe I could say right now I’m 100% straight,” he says. “But who knows? In a fucking year, I could meet a guy and be like, Whoa, I’m attracted to this person.

Hutcherson grew up in Union, Ky., a small town close to the Ohio border, and his slouchy, chill California vibe is still tinged with a soft Southern accent. Everything he says sounds easygoing. “I’ve met guys all the time that I’m like, Damn, that’s a good-looking guy, you know?” he says. “I’ve never been, like, Oh, I want to kiss that guy. I really love women. But I think defining yourself as 100% anything is kind of near-sighted and close-minded.”

Of course, Hutcherson is also an ally to the LGBT community and has been for some time. He co-founded the Straight but Not Narrow campaign which encourages other heterosexual youngsters to stand up in support of their gay peers. It is certainly nice to have a youthful Hollywood star in our court--perhaps one day he'll even play for our team.

Read all about Josh's Hunger Games role, his family's gay legacy, and more about Straight but Not Narrow at out.com.

(Photo by Nino Muñoz for Out)

Comments

1. Cute guy. He also seems like a down to earth guy.

Posted by: John | Oct 9, 2013 3:57:39 PM

2. YESSSS i want to marry him and kinda live off his money but love him a lot.

Posted by: Carlos | Oct 9, 2013 4:00:21 PM

3. Now let's see how many people here call Josh closeted.

Hopefully, Josh is representative of a new era of straight guy. In any case, what a cool person he is and a wonderful ally.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Oct 9, 2013 4:01:56 PM

4. Mostly? Handsome guy.

Posted by: Matt27 | Oct 9, 2013 4:02:36 PM

5. I wish he had not said "mostly straight" in a gay-supportive way because there's an entire rabid subsection of gay men here on Towleroad who accuse all supportive straight guys as being closet cases hiding their true identities: Macklemore (and Ryan Lewis, usually together), James Franco, each NFL supporter who's expressed positive views, Chris Kluwe, Ben Cohen, Daniel Radcliff, Jake Gyllenhaal...

Posted by: will | Oct 9, 2013 4:04:03 PM

6. If you haven't seen his naked selfie, I recommend it. google away.

Posted by: rustytrawler | Oct 9, 2013 4:10:47 PM

7. oh yes, one of those 5% dontknow-sexuals from Gallup study

Posted by: litper | Oct 9, 2013 4:16:35 PM

8. Considering how closeted and homophobic Hollywood still is, the fact that a straight actor at the top of his game admits he wouldn't rule out one day falling in love with a guy is amazingly refreshing and brave. I imagine all the gossip sites and even some LGBT sites will completely miscontrue what he is saying but its still cool what he is saying.

Posted by: KT84 | Oct 9, 2013 4:16:57 PM

9. His pandering is offensive. Does he think it makes him "cool" to say his mostly straight? He is straight. He doesn't have to nor should try to be PC by saying he "mostly straight". SMH

Posted by: Chris | Oct 9, 2013 4:22:46 PM

10. @Chris, as straight as those "straight" guys I had sex with?

Posted by: litper | Oct 9, 2013 4:25:25 PM

11. I agree KT84. He's brave to do this and doesn't seem to really care what anyone's perception of his sexuality truly is. He sees it as a non-issue, just as it should be. Bravo!

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Oct 9, 2013 4:27:25 PM

12. "Mostly" for the fan base. He's not stupid.

Posted by: Beebs | Oct 9, 2013 4:28:52 PM

13. Hollywood is still definitely closeted and internally homophobic, but outwardly, Hollywood isn't homophobic. In fact, this is only going to help Josh, as an "open-minded/cool/current/etc." straight guy who has fans across all sexualities and age ranges. The situation would be FAR different if he actually was gay.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Oct 9, 2013 4:32:19 PM

14. His family is heavily involved in LGBT activism. He was in The Kids Are Alright. He lost his uncles to AIDS. He's not pandering. Good for him for speaking being open and honest. This a million times more helpful than the nonsense the Jonas Bros were spewing in last month's issue.

Posted by: jake | Oct 9, 2013 4:41:28 PM

15. Allies, shmallies. When is the gay media going to stop sucking up to alllies? They are not true allies, by the way. When was the last time you saw them marching for gay rights?

Most of these show-biz types are generally after our money and are not true allies.

Posted by: Adrenan P | Oct 9, 2013 4:46:53 PM

16. When is the last time YOU marched for Gay Rights? @Adrenan P

Posted by: Kelly | Oct 9, 2013 5:02:18 PM

17. @WILL

Do you really believe James Franco is straight????

Posted by: ME | Oct 9, 2013 5:04:25 PM

18. @ADRENAN P. Marches are a great way to show support personally, but 1000 marchers won't be heard, 10,000 maybe will get a liberal news note. 100,000 or a million will get bigger exposure with questionable lasting effect. These people with a voice for no other reason than they are popular or pretty add up over time to help shape
    attitudes for the ones that will inherit the reins. Yea for him. And it baffles me why some people think it is wrong to make money in a capitalist based system.

Posted by: dixichuk | Oct 9, 2013 5:09:49 PM

19. Wow a lot of you guys are assholes. I am mostly gay so go bark up a different tree with your bitching.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 9, 2013 5:10:59 PM

20. I feel that "mostly straight" sounds more condescending than it actually is.

Posted by: Sam | Oct 9, 2013 5:20:53 PM

21. I love him. He is just too darn adorable. And he can be mostly whatever he wants. He is an ally no matter how straight or mostly straight he is. Kudos Josh!

Posted by: C.J. | Oct 9, 2013 5:47:09 PM

22. He's playing us [homos and bi]. Whatever. He is easy on the eyes. I don't care if he's totally str8.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 9, 2013 5:57:48 PM

23. "I feel that "mostly straight" sounds more condescending than it actually is.

Even the Kinsey scale says that only 2.5% of the population is exclusively homosexual or heterosexual. That leaves a whopping 95% to fall into the "mostly" category. "

Yes, and what is really happening in society--and that is reflected in this young man's comment--is that men are at long last liberating themselves from their longstanding emotional, social, and sexual dependence on women......and allowing themselves the freedom to build relationships with each other of whatever sort they desire, without any stigma being attached to it.

The reason this is so deeply threatening to so many "gays" (particularly the advocates of the culture of effeminacy and "gender-non-conformity)--as demonstrated by some of the comments in this thread--is that they fear the consequences of a change in the larger male culture that will make the entire concept of "gay"--and all the cultural detritus that accompanies it--obsolete--and leave them totally isolated and shunned.

When men being attracte to men and acting on that attraction no longer has the stigma of effeminacy attached to it and is regarded as a normal expression of masculinity, the culture of effeminacy that has--tragically--defined identity for so many "gay" men will become obsolete and its practitioners relegated to the margins of society even among men who are involved emotionally and sexually with each other.

Hasten the day!

Posted by: Rick | Oct 9, 2013 6:02:51 PM

24. @Adrenan - He founded a pro-gay rights organization? How is that NOT an ally? What more does he need to do?? And why would you assume he has never been in a pride parade and why is that your barometer for whether someone is an ally? Most people (gay/straight/allies) have never been in a gay pride. I am gay and have never been in or to a pride parade. And trust me when I tell you--no one has done more for gay rights in the circle of people that is the little world I live in than me. That is not conceit, that is just the way it is. Am I NOT an ally, too, to you? Jesus, I need to stop reading the message boards. These kinds of people make me SICK!

Posted by: macguffin54 | Oct 9, 2013 6:03:46 PM

25. When I was ten years old I proudly stood before my parents and said "Dad, I want you to fart into my mouth while I masturbate because your gas inside me fills me with love" and my mother, like all gay-hating effeminate women, screaming "Rick! That's disgusting!"

Do you see now how women are not our friend or allies? Only a selfish cow like the one who sired me would ever deny a proud gay man like myself the gift of ingesting his fathers farts. And I'll never forgive her. Also, Lady Gaga is the reason I refuse to be openly gay.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 9, 2013 6:06:35 PM