Gay Media | Gay Stories | GLSEN | Jim Parsons | News | Video

Jim Parsons And Partner Todd Spiewak Accept GLSEN's Inspiration Award, Discuss Relationship: VIDEO

Jimandtodd

Big Bang Theory actor and Emmy-winner Jim Parsons and his longtime partner, graphic designer Todd Spiewak, went public this weekend for a GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network) award ceremony. The two won the organization's Inspiration Award, and they walked the red carpet together for the first time. Parsons has thanked Spiewak in speeches at other awards shows, but they have never made such a public appearance.

The two men were classy and humble as they discussed their relationship, their dogs, and the true activists of the LGBTQ community. The award was presented to them by Mayim Bialik, Parson's Big Bang co-star.

E! Online reports:

On stage, Parsons said the true inspirations of the world are people like GLSEN's student ambassadors and writer and gay activist Larry Kramer...

"I've never considered myself an activist," Parsons said. "I've never considered my relationship with Todd to be an act of activism. Rather simply, it's an act of love, coffee in the morning, going to work, washing the clothes, taking the dogs [out]—a regular life, boring love.

Parsons corrected himself, saying that even if the award is simply a display of he and Todd's inspiration to others, they would be nowhere without their friends and family.

"...We are both surrounded by so many people who make our lives better and easier, friends we've had for many years and friends we've made since living in L.A."

In the audience were Spiewak's parents, who Parsons thanked "for being such an important part of our lives—and our dog's lives."

Congratulations to Jim and Todd!

Lionsgate Studios (which produces The Hunger Games) and Designing Women creator Linda Bloodworth-Thomason were also honored at the GLSEN ceremony.

Watch the couple's funny, self-effacing, and touching speech, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. lol well uh.. at least the celebrity being awarded by a gay rights organization despite doing literally nothing for our cause is at least himself gay this time?

Posted by: JMC | Oct 22, 2013 7:43:20 PM

2. All Jim has to do is talk and I crack up. He has the greatest delivery. They seem like a nice couple.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Oct 22, 2013 7:58:25 PM

3. Welcome to Trollroad, where gay celebs are hated for whatever reason can be made up to apply to them -- such as when being the mulitple-awarded openly gay star of the number one show of its kind on television, while appearing in a classic gay play-turned-film, is "doing nothing" for "our cause", regardless of whatever they have done to support worthy organizations, such as GLSEN. The stupidity is stupendous.

And I have to wonder what the trolls have ever done with their lives, let alone what they could possibly have done for "our cause" that would equal the accomplishments of Jim Parsons or his generosity to the community -- when it's much more likely their entire lives' contributions don't equal even any given minute of Jim Parsons' day as a positive public face for gay people everywhere.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Oct 22, 2013 8:01:03 PM

4. @Once: At risk of being called a troll, I have to disagree with you. I don't think an organization like GLSEN should be honoring Mr. Parsons. What exactly has he done to improve education for LGBT kids? That is, of course, the mission of GLSEN. This appears as nothing more than pandering to our celebrity-obsessed culture. Why not honor a teacher or administrator that actually works with LGBT kids?

For the record, I enjoy Mr. Parson's work. And, I firmly believe that actors should be able to have a private life...meaning the fact the he only recently came out isn't an issue for me.

My disappointment is with the people at GLSEN for ignoring their mission statement by selecting an award recipient who hasn't done anything (that I know of) to improve education for LGBT kids.

Posted by: alex | Oct 22, 2013 8:23:04 PM

5. Not being a hater, but I don't understand how a couple is receiving an award for being an "inspiration" when they just went public this week...in order to accept the award.

I find that confusing.

Posted by: Kieran | Oct 22, 2013 8:51:18 PM

6. Guys, it's a fundraising event. People pay to attend. Having Parsons and Spiewak there sells tickets. They are helping the group raise money. I think Parson's speech acknowledged who the real activists are. He's helping to fund the activists, which is vital to the group's success. You're complaining because an apple isn't an orange. Go eat a banana.

Posted by: Nobody important | Oct 22, 2013 10:09:52 PM

7. @Nobody: I stand by my criticism of GLSEN. If you want to raise money, have a celebrity host give out an award to someone who deserves it. Or, have a singer perform a benefit concert. You don't give an award to someone who does not qualify just to get butts in seats.

Again, I'm not faulting Mr. Parsons. When given an award, you accept graciously, as he did.

Posted by: alex | Oct 22, 2013 10:21:59 PM

8. lol wtf, i assumed everyone thought all these events and award ceremonies where gay rights groups shower undeserving celebrities with awards were silly? i'm happy to see the random celebrity on the receiving end is actually at least gay for a change so i don't know how that turns into me hating gay celebrities

Posted by: JMC | Oct 22, 2013 11:03:42 PM

9. BRAVO Jim!

Posted by: Louis | Oct 22, 2013 11:41:15 PM

10. Gays famously hate other successful gays. They hound them to come out then kvetch that they dont do enough for the cause. Cant make em happy, so why bother trying?

Posted by: Jerry | Oct 23, 2013 1:28:16 AM

11. "... Not being a hater, but I don't understand how a couple is receiving an award for being an "inspiration" when they just went public this week...in order to accept the award."

From what I've heard, Parsons and Speiwak have been "out" for years both publically and among friends and family. Parsons has mentioned Speiwak for years in acceptance speeches and other events...just that Speiwak usually hasn't attended events that involve walking the media gauntlet. And with the exception of Sheldon, Parsons usually portrays gay men on stage.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Oct 23, 2013 1:56:20 AM

12. Dear Towleroad, save me from your followers.

Posted by: Marc | Oct 23, 2013 5:14:07 AM

13. "Gays famously hate other successful gays."

No. Self-loathing closet queens who post anonymously hate successful out gays.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 23, 2013 9:33:35 AM

14. Guys, I think Parsons agrees with you. He is clearly embarrassed but like someone said above, it's a PR gig that they HAVE to do because it obviously brings greater attention then hosting. I don't know the finances but I would also say that unless you are a host kind of person....as an actor/actress you will look bad, loose credibility-unless you are a showbiz act like NPH-and I also think your studio or tv employers may have issue with it.

I think receiving an award pleases the whole Hollywood management team.

Posted by: Rowan | Oct 23, 2013 11:20:06 AM

15. Parsons clearly does agree that it's absurd he's receiving this award lol some of you guys are so extra, please take a deep breath and realize how silly these fundraising award ceremonies are. Like I said in my original comment, at least Jim Parsons is gay so it's less ridiculous than usual. The Trevor Project giving Katy Perry an award still makes me laugh.

Posted by: JMC | Oct 23, 2013 4:49:04 PM