John Boehner Called ‘Turd’ on NYDN Front Page as Government Shuts Down

Turd_boehner

The first shutdown of the governement in 17 years began on Tuesday, the NYDN reports:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) disclosed at midnight that the White House budget office had directed agencies to start closing up shop. He then called a recess until 9:30 a.m., meaning that there would be no House-Senate deal in the wee hours Tuesday.

The shutdown would keep 800,000 federal workers at home on Tuesday and inconvenience millions of people who rely on federal services or are drawn to the nation’s parks and other attractions. Critical workers, from the Border Patrol to air-traffic controllers, would remain on the job, unpaid.

Legislation was passed, however, to fund the armed services during the shutdown.

Despite the drama, members of Congress faced no threat to their own pay, because the 27th Amendment to the Constitution bars their salaries from being subjected to the annual appropriations process. Obama, too, will still be paid.

Obama blasted House Republicans in a speech yesterday, saying, "One faction of one party in one house of Congress in one branch of government doesn't get to shut down the entire government just to refight the results of an election. You don't get to extract a ransom for doing your job, for doing what you're supposed to be doing anyway, or just because there's a law there that you don't like."

Comments

1. Rowan says

Blah, blah, blah Obama. EVERYONE knows this BUT of course you would not listen and the dumb people voted for the GOP to get in.

2. jleo71 says

The next election should prove to be a very interesting one. And it is next month so people won’t forget too easily.

3. says

Here’s the glaring proof of the effects of ‘Citizens United’. A small band of Koch funded TPers kidnap the GOP and shut down the government when unreasonable demands are not met.

The GOP welcomed them with open arms, catered to them, nourished them, and now find themselves stuck with a beast they can’t control.

4. Derrick from Philly says

@ CRISPY,

I didn’t even notice it until you pointed it out. I don’t know what that sh.t is supposed to be. I guess it’s sh.t….the mudslide type.

Eeeewwww.

5. jamal49 says

Once you’re in the cross-hairs of The New York Daily News, you might as well hang it up. Witness Gerald Ford in 1975.

6. Critifur says

I think it is blood on his hands. I want to think that the GOP has now slit their own political throats, as they did the last time they caused a shutdown. But I am not counting on it. The voters that support the right are so virulent. They are like Star Wars fan boys, and from what I see they are pretty supportive of the shutdown. So I can only hope this gets better, and in the next election cycle we can ouster some of these wack-a-doodles.

7. tinkerbelle says

Aren’t the teabaggers in line to be prosecuted for treason against the government of the United States? Read the constitution, it seems to cover their acts pretty completely. It’s under “sedition”.

8. dh1950 says

Boehner isn’t the turd; Curz, Cantor, and Ryan are the turds. Boehner is simply one caught in a web of his own weaving and can’t wrangle free.

9. A. Plant (Mike) says

True. However, as you said it is of his OWN doing and the Republicans will find out that by following the radical fringe teabagers that COMPOST HAPPENS!

10. A. Plant (Mike) says

11. Bob R says

JLEO71: The next election for Congress is 2014, a year from next month.

When Walter Cronkite turned on LBJ, he knew he was through. He commented “If I’ve lost Cronkite, I’ve lost middle America.” He decided not to run for re-election. The NY Daily News is a conservative paper. Boehner and the GOP should begin to realize if they’re losing the likes of the NYDN, then they’re losing more than middle America. Polls show 20-30% now identify with the Tea Party. Independents favored the GOP house by 19 points, polls now show independents evenly split. In the 2014 election if Democrats GOTV, they can retake the house, maybe even despite Gerrymandering.

I just hope the Democrats hang tough. The GOP has wanted to shut government down since 2010, now they have done what they planned to do all along. If they get any concessions now, the debt ceiling vote will turn into a real fiasco.

They lost the election, but now they’re trying to install the Romney/Ryan budget and platform despite that loss. I’m personally seriously affected by this shutdown, but despite that, I hope Obama and the Democrats don’t fold and the GOP owns this disaster in 2014.

Also, Andy, these GD floating icons on the left of the screen really make it a PITA to post or edit a comment. They suck and so does whoever set them up that way.

12. Mike says

Gee, Bob. I ALMOST get the feeling that you do not mean gosh darn, pita bread or suck in a good way . . .

13. JT says

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

I think some members of the House need to be reminded of their oath in taking up their responsibility in the positions they have freely accepted for $174,000 (+/-) a year plus perks and benefits and retirement pension. (add 500K in bribes and underhanded deals)