ACLU | Books | Censorship | News

BigGayDeal.com

LGBT Family Books Make American Library Association's List Of Banned Books

MotherJoshua Block from the American Civil Liberties Union blog recently reported that despite the recent Supreme Court and stateside victories in favor of marriage equality, "books about LGBT people and their families remain one of the biggest targets of censorship in school classrooms and libraries."

Each year, the American Library Association compiles a list of books that have been the most frequent targets of censorship in classrooms and libraries, and almost every year one of the books on that list is And Tango Makes Three, a children's book about two male penguins that find an abandoned egg and raise a penguin chick together. Another frequent target of censorship is The Family Book, which as part of a survey of many different types of families includes a single page stating "some families have two moms and two dads." And just this past year, the ACLU and the ACLU of Utah had to take a school district in Utah to court to overturn the school's decision to pull a book about a family with two moms, In Our Mothers' House, from the school library shelves. The book had originally been yanked from the shelves because a group of parents complained that it "normalized a lifestyle that we don't agree with."

Block adds that "(banning books about LGBT families) only serves to stigmatize these students and their families as something dirty or shameful. Libraries should reflect the diversity of all kinds of ideas -- and all kinds of families."

2013 marks the seventh year that the book And Tango Makes Three has made the ALA's banned books list. The book's gay authors had a child of their own back in 2009.

Comments

1. I must have been asleep at the wheel these past several years regarding these LGBT books banned by the American Library Association. I ask, is the ALA a highly conservative anti-gay group of librarians? I'm both surprised and shocked at the ALA's negative position about the cited books. I didn't know they held these homophobic positions. Am I missing something here in their decision-making process??

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Oct 7, 2013 12:08:57 PM

2. @Hadenoughbs: The ALA doesn't ban anything, they are very much against censorship. They compile this list of books that **others** have sought to ban. Most of the objections to books are from religious nutjobs and their organizations.

The ALA gets involved because the **nutjobs** want the librarians to do the censoring, not because the librarians want to censor.

Posted by: Vint | Oct 7, 2013 12:13:23 PM

3. @Vint: Thanks for the "now I get it" explanation. Their list makes sense now. I appreciate your response.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Oct 7, 2013 12:29:16 PM

4. Those books belong on "Saturday Night Live" The cover depicted looks like a liberal wet dream.

Posted by: Hel | Oct 7, 2013 3:25:36 PM

5. Maybe I'll write a book about Brian Brown's family. It'll feature a huge family of kids who get little attention at home. I'll call it "eight is too many" or "that man is making mommy squeal again."

Posted by: woody | Oct 7, 2013 9:59:09 PM

6. The American Library Association harms the LGBT community by falsifying incidents of discrimination against the community so that it will become angered and further spread the ALA's false message about book "banning." Studies have shown falsely claiming discrimination results in INCREASED discrimination because others see others discriminating so they think it's okay. To make this statement I need solid evidence. I have it. I made a recording of an LGBT author responding to a question I asked and saying the ALA intentionally put her book on the Top 10 List EVEN THOUGH OTHER BOOKS WERE CHALLENGED MORE because 1) the book was actually banned and 2) the book dealt with homosexuality. This book was Revolutionary Readings.

As to And Tango Makes Three, ALA fakes that too. For example, it had the book on the top of the 2010 list, if I recall, in position #1 for having been "banned" "dozens" of times. "Dozens." Sounds like discrimination, right? But the truth was that clever wording made it only appear to be have been banned dozens of times. In reality, the book was banned four times. 4. All year. Across the entire USA. 350 million people. 4 times all year. Book #1. And Tango Makes Three.

Can you say non-story? Not newsworthy? No, ALA whipped up the numbers and the LGBT community spread the ALA book "banning" message far and wide, unwittingly spreading the false and harmful discrimination lesson far and wide as well.

If anyone wants to hear the recording I made of the LGBT author saying what she did, just go to my web site.

I say this here because the post only continues to transmit the same false and harmful information. In reality, ALA stomps on the LGBT community to use it for its own gain and could care less about the resultant harm caused by falsifying incidents of discrimination.

Posted by: Dan Kleinman of SafeLibraries | Oct 8, 2013 10:23:25 AM