Deaths | Music | News

Lou Reed Dead at 71: Report

Rock icon and leader of the Velvet Underground Lou Reed has died, Rolling Stone reports:

ReedThe cause of his death has not yet been released, but Reed underwent a liver transplant in May.

With the Velvet Underground in the late Sixties, Reed fused street-level urgency with elements of European avant-garde music, marrying beauty and noise, while bringing a whole new lyrical honesty to rock & roll poetry. As a restlessly inventive solo artist, from the Seventies into the 2010s, he was chameleonic, thorny and unpredictable, challenging his fans at every turn. Glam, punk and alternative rock are all unthinkable without his revelatory example. "One chord is fine," he once said, alluding to his bare-bones guitar style. "Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz."

RIP.

Lou Reed's "Perfect Day", AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Sony is using that song, Perfect Day, to push Playstation 4. Strange coincidence?

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 27, 2013 2:44:56 PM

2. Enjoy a well-earned rest you bonafide sexbomb. Swoooons for the growl of Lou Reed.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Oct 27, 2013 2:47:46 PM

3. There are like 4 chords in that song.

Posted by: brian | Oct 27, 2013 2:50:19 PM

4. And the colored girls in heaven go 'Doo do doo do doo do doo do doo do doo do doo do doo do doo doooooooooooo'

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 27, 2013 3:00:52 PM

5. Yes PeterParker, that immediately went through my head!

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Oct 27, 2013 3:11:12 PM

6. Would have been better to post Halloween Parade...

Posted by: Tim | Oct 27, 2013 4:23:42 PM

7. For years I assumed Lou Reed must be gay because he was involved with the Warhol crowd and sang about "Little Joe" (Dallesandro) in Take A Walk On the Wild Side.

I was really surprised when I heard he was married to Laurie Anderson!

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 27, 2013 4:31:29 PM

8. The elevator music in Hell just got a new composer.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Oct 27, 2013 4:49:25 PM

9. Love you, Lou Reed.

Posted by: barney | Oct 27, 2013 6:15:40 PM

10. Please give Candy Darling a hug for me.

Posted by: barney | Oct 27, 2013 6:18:47 PM

11. Say hi to Andy too Lou. RIP.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Oct 27, 2013 8:27:25 PM

12. We'll miss you Lou. And my thoughts go out to his wife and partner for years, Laurie Anderson.

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Oct 27, 2013 8:27:48 PM

13. Lou singing a classic Kurt Weill song on aging.

Posted by: Wyatt | Oct 27, 2013 9:12:53 PM

14. Lou was Bi, Caliban. His first girlfriend was a transvestite named Rachel. They were together for at least a decade.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 27, 2013 9:15:17 PM

15. I went through a Lou Reed musical phase a bit over 12 years ago. During this time Lou released a book of poetry and did a book signing at Barnes and Noble. I went to get an autograph and told him that his VU song "Venus in Furs" does something to my libido. He said in mock surprise "it DOES?." I said "and I'm the world's biggest puritan." He replied "well, that's who it's for!"

And no, I'm not making any of this up.

RIP Lou.

Posted by: Mary | Oct 27, 2013 9:40:52 PM

16. About ten years ago I ran into him in the men's room at the Quad Cinema on 13th Street. "Oh wow, you're Lou Reed," I said. "I'm a huge fan of yours." He asked me if I'd give him a blow job. I just laughed because I thought he was joking. I could kick myself now.

Rest in peace, you beautiful man.

Posted by: Robert | Oct 27, 2013 9:59:08 PM

17. Funny that Andy didn't mention that Lou was bi. For those who didn't know, Lou was submitted to a horrifying treatment that was supposed to "cure" him of his bisexuality.

"They put the thing down your throat so you don’t swallow your tongue, and they put electrodes on your head. That’s what was recommended in Rockland County to discourage homosexual feelings. The effect is that you lose your memory and become a vegetable. You can’t read a book because you get to page 17 and have to go right back to page one again."

From "Please Kill Me (1996)"

Posted by: stranded | Oct 27, 2013 10:32:19 PM

18. Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground were a major influence in the music scene. He will be missed.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 28, 2013 7:55:23 AM

19. Velvet Underground was one of the best and most influential bands in history. This is a sad day.

Posted by: DB | Oct 28, 2013 12:16:02 PM

20. I hate to be in the minority, but I never thought the man had any talent whatsoever. Certainly he was no singer.

Posted by: Muriel | Oct 30, 2013 5:17:38 PM