Music Video | News | Transgender

Matt Nathanson Falls For Transgender Girl In 'Kinks Shirt' - VIDEO

TR

Singer-songwriter Matt Nathanson recently unveiled the music video for his song, "Kinks Shirt" about a guy and his infatuation with a tattoo-covered stripper in, what else, a Kinks shirt. When it came to shoot the video, however, Nathanson didn't want the same old "guy with guitar trying to look sexy" vibe so he turned to comedian and director Bobcat Goldthwait to come up with something more inspiring. The end result: the stripper at the heart of the song turns out to be transgender.

Bobcat told Rolling Stone:

"Honestly, I pitched this idea just to see the look on everyone's face," the filmmaker says. "I still can't believe we made it. When I heard Matt had a 10,000 Maniacs tattoo I thought I would hate him, but turns out he's an okay guy."

Nathanson was thrilled with Bobcat's idea, sharing his enthusiasm on Facebook: "i flipped. i loved it. i loved that it showed people unapologetically being themselves, even if the world may not be hip to it. yet."

Check out the video along with a few behind the scenes photos (via Facebook) from the shoot AFTER THE JUMP...

Couch

Pole

Fan

Comments

1. Oh, please, give me a break. This is homophobic. If Matt Nathanson was truly gay-friendly, he would have shown himself falling in love with a man, not a phony woman.

I also find it offensive that Matt and his 'director' would associate transgenders with the grubby world of stripping.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 19, 2013 6:38:39 PM

2. Trans women are real women, just in the wrong body. Do your medical research, before you open your mouth and prove there's nothing in your brain. Trans folk have little option on jobs, thanks in part to attitudes like yours.

Posted by: Chutney | Oct 19, 2013 6:49:05 PM

3. @Brian If anything, this video has revealed you to be transphobic... "phony woman?"

My fear with the video was that this was going to use the tired old "she's a dude!" punchline. Glad it wasn't that at all and instead about loving the person you love without judgement or restraint.

Though I suppose if the only complaint you can have of the video is that she was a stripper, then I suppose some progress is being made.

Posted by: shibby | Oct 19, 2013 7:02:31 PM

4. Matt Nathanson is a sweet and "dirty" guy and it's a shame that he often gets passed over for other douches like John Mayer. I have pecked him on the cheek before and have the photo to prove it. He loves his gay fans.

Posted by: Sam | Oct 19, 2013 7:10:15 PM

5. Oh man I was ready to be annoyed at another trite "she's actually a DUDE!" gag, but this was actually really sweet. Also, the song is pretty dang catchy, I'll have to check him out.

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Oct 19, 2013 7:19:18 PM

6. Great video! The girl in the Kinks shirt is beautiful and Matt Nathan is adorable.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 19, 2013 10:21:16 PM

7. Sorry, Matt Nathanson!

Posted by: Rob | Oct 19, 2013 10:21:42 PM

8. @Brian - The song is about a man's infatuation for a woman who works as a stripper. The transgender angle appears only in the video, and I think it was very well done.

Posted by: Gregory in Seattle | Oct 19, 2013 11:24:19 PM

9. Thought is was cute and catchy. But the girl was not attractive by any means. Can't win 'em all, I guess. Oh, and Matt's not that hot, either.

Posted by: CVP | Oct 20, 2013 12:41:10 AM

10. If Matt Nathanson had balls, he would have shown himself falling in love with a man. As it is, the video is simply a hetero-normative narrative. A big thumbs down to Matt and his gross videoWww director.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 20, 2013 12:57:29 AM

11. God! The comments on Towleroad can be so angry, trite and small-minded! Makes me embarrassed to be gay. I promise, I promise to never read them again...

Posted by: parrish1000 | Oct 20, 2013 1:24:41 AM

12. Parrish, it's just one guy. His name is Rick and he has no life and no love to give. He's a sad troll.

Posted by: Tyler | Oct 20, 2013 5:01:30 AM

13. It's nice, it shows that a transwoman can be as romantic, hot or just as "girl-next-door" as any other woman.

And there's nothing morally questionable about stripping.

Posted by: what | Oct 20, 2013 8:59:07 AM

14. Love Matt! He's great in concert, seeing him next month!

Posted by: Grant | Oct 20, 2013 10:36:33 AM

15. Been a fan of Matt's for a long time now, and this video made me even more of one. This is a great concept video and I like that Matt just "goes with it" and enjoys himself. Matt and his lead actually have a really sweet chemistry in this video, which is a refreshing antidote to a lot of hokey music videos that kinda go nowhere. Good on you, Matt! To the haters (on Towleroad, really? what a surpise!): just, stop.

Posted by: mike | Oct 20, 2013 11:44:59 AM

16. Nice catchy song and a great video. zu quengeln

Posted by: Endora | Oct 20, 2013 1:07:11 PM

17. Lol! So if the tranny is really a woman as some commenters say, then this is a story about heterosexual romance. So what the fark is it doing on Towleroad? This just points out how nuts it is to lump LGB in with T.

Posted by: Eddie | Oct 20, 2013 1:13:01 PM

18. The Kinks shirt is a clever reference to the band, who had a big hit with "Lola", which was also about a guy that falls in love with a transgender woman.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 20, 2013 4:12:09 PM

19. I live a block away from that corner. I feel famous.

Posted by: distinguetraces | Oct 21, 2013 2:42:29 AM

20. @FuryOfFirestorm - It's been a long time since I heard "Lola" and had forgotten the context. Now this video seem much less like a gimmick.

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Oct 21, 2013 9:49:27 AM

21. Why are we assuming that this is a "transwoman"? Have drag queens ceased to exist?

Posted by: Endora | Oct 22, 2013 12:10:55 AM

22. Terrible song but great video!

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 22, 2013 2:01:33 PM

23. its cute and about time they showed a trans a NOT the butt of a joke, and a romantic lead.As a real woman...
    I lost attraction for him when he kissed the tranny though.

No one needs to do any research to know trannies have penises and male dna.

Sorry you feel you were born in wrong body.
    Youre still a guy with gorgeous make up, male DNA, and male everything else except for half of a look

Posted by: Charlie | Dec 19, 2013 6:57:20 AM

24. After watching video I can not listen to this song anymore.

Posted by: Tom | Mar 8, 2014 8:32:46 AM