Gay Marriage | Linda Oliver | News | North Carolina | South Carolina

South Carolina Mayor Doesn't Want 'Queer' Marriages 'Rammed Down Her Throat': VIDEO

Oliver

Linda Oliver, the mayor of West Union, South Carolina, is under fire for comments she made on Facebook using the "Q-word" with regard to same-sex marriage, and tells WHNS how she really feels about it:

"I don't want it rammed down my throat."

Oliver's online comments were in regard to the recent actions by Buncombe County Register of Wills Drew Reisinger in neighboring North Carolina, who began accepting marriage license applications for gay couples this week.

Said Oliver on Facebook:

"What's it gonna take to get these queers to realize they don't need a piece of paper. God will not bless their union because he plainly speaks against queers in the Bible. Want to cover your queer with insurance? Buy a policy. Want your queer to get your stuff when you die? Make a will."

Now there is reportedly a Facebook petition calling for Oliver to be removed from office.

Added Oliver to WHNS:

"All I can say is if people want to crucify me that's fine. I know that following Jesus, I'm going to be crucified...And I got lambasted because I quoted the bible and stuff like that on Facebook and that's the way I feel...I have apologized, it's on there if people would just read the feed. They're focusing on the word and I apologized for that. If people would read the whole thing they'll see that I plainly said I will not say that anymore, I'll say homosexual...What I'm emotional about is because my feelings- the way I feel toward homosexuals is how I've been brought up."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

FOX Carolina 21

Comments

1. "because of the way i was brought up". lamest excuse ever. as if it's just IMPOSSIBLE to grow and change and learn things as you experience life. who elects these fools?

Posted by: EO | Oct 17, 2013 12:24:15 PM

2. You "quoted the Bible"? Please point out the passage that discusses queers and wills to me, as you're quoting.

Posted by: Tiger | Oct 17, 2013 12:25:26 PM

3. Her slurs aside,keep in there is tale after tale of gay and lesbian couples doing exactly what she suggested,and it didn't mean a damn thing in the court of law without marriage.

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 17, 2013 12:27:22 PM

4. Actually, we do need that little piece of paper to get most of those rights. And that little piece of paper has NOTHING to do with God, Jesus or anyone else "blessing" our unions.

Posted by: Gay List Daily | Oct 17, 2013 12:28:21 PM

5. Rammed down her throat? Crucified? A bit over the top.

Posted by: john patrick | Oct 17, 2013 12:31:04 PM

6. interesting - considering she looks like a man.....not a womenly thing about her...except maybe her VaJJ...but ewwwwwwww, who wants to look at that - considering the face & body thats attached to it....I dont think she has to worry about anything being rammed down her throat.....ewww, just ewww!

Posted by: disgusted american | Oct 17, 2013 12:33:59 PM

7. Honey - "these queers" are your sons, daughters, sisters and brothers...and we aren't going ANYWHERE. We're fighting in foreign lands to keep your fat, ignorant ass free. Remember: We serve your restaurant food and do your god-damned, awful hair. It's not NICE to insult the waiter. He might just piss in your fu*king soup, you evil crunt.

Posted by: Geoff | Oct 17, 2013 12:34:44 PM

8. 864-247-7392 is her number.

She's really quite a disgusting woman, when you talk to her.

Posted by: Tiger | Oct 17, 2013 12:36:39 PM

9. I guess they rewrote that whole gluttony verse out of her Bible.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 17, 2013 12:42:31 PM

10. Yanked her Facebook page pretty fast.

Ashamed much, "mayor" Oliver???

Posted by: johnny | Oct 17, 2013 12:45:12 PM

11. Didn't South Carolina secede? Why didn't it take?

Posted by: Sean | Oct 17, 2013 12:45:13 PM

12. yup. self-hating closet-cases are definitely unappetizing.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Oct 17, 2013 12:46:34 PM

13. Perhaps a bit off-topic, but why do homophobes and bigots ALWAYS go for the "ram it down my throat" metaphor? Really! They do! Somebody ask Dr. Freud about that please.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Oct 17, 2013 12:50:02 PM

14. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, this is one Bible thumpin' Dixieland mayor of a town of about 300 Southerners. Nothing these ignorant hillbillies say, especially about anyone who's not a white Southern good ol' boy-type local, surprises me. Furthermore, she apparently understands nothing about the true teachings of the New Testament.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Oct 17, 2013 12:50:35 PM

15. Ha! West Union about 100 eligible voters. Oliver won the election with 16 votes! (Prolly her kin.) This should make her qualified for a vice-president spot under the Tea Party Republicans.

Posted by: Scudder | Oct 17, 2013 12:51:27 PM

16. good news. society is shifting. these anti-gay freaks are becoming the new social deviants--just as bigot-in-chief antonin scalia correctly feared.

expose and mock. expose and mock.

Posted by: candide001 | Oct 17, 2013 12:52:38 PM

17. Ha! Go get um TIGER! Uh, interesting phrase that she chose. "I don't want it rammed down my throat."Uh, wonder WHAT exactly?

Posted by: Mike | Oct 17, 2013 12:54:13 PM

18. I just can believe this woman is the mayor of a town. Did everyone else say no thank you to the job offer?

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 17, 2013 12:56:19 PM

19. I am so sick of Christians believing themselves to be persecuted --- get over it woman! You aren't be "crucified" for being a Christian, you are being called out for your bigotry.

Posted by: PadLake | Oct 17, 2013 1:02:29 PM

20. She seems nice.

Posted by: Wisebear | Oct 17, 2013 1:06:19 PM

21. Once again, somehow gay couples marrying makes this idiot lady think that "something is going to be rammed down her throat."

Which doesn't make any sense. Btw, before some idiot comes on talking about the word "Queer" - substitute "queer" for "black" or "Jew(s)" - the problem is not the word, the problem is that it's been hurled as invective.

as she apologized for "the word", and not the hate, this is proven.

Posted by: Queer | Oct 17, 2013 1:08:35 PM

22. What the obtuse Linda Oliver, and others of her ilk, does not understand is that by straying from her Biblical references, allowing her speech to devolve into slurs, says more about her as a bigot than her as a Christian.

A good, and true Christian woman would spend more time in humble prayer for the souls she claims are imperiled than being judgmental, loud, prideful, and overtly offensive.

She cannot be faulted for her faith, but her failure to follow its most basic precept, which is to treat others as you would be treated.

It does seem that with people like Mrs. Oliver that the so basic Sunday school lessons to not judge others, to pray for your enemies, to turn the other cheek, that their fight is not against flesh and blood but against principalities and spiritual powers in high or heavenly places goes swiftly in one ear, then straight through and out the other ear without the slightest impediment of grey matter.

I guess it is up to us to step up to the plate, forgive and prey, sincerely, for the Mrs. Oliver's of the world.

But we are certainly not obliged to accept their non-apologies as anything but what they are, empty words just blowing in the wind.

Posted by: Ricco | Oct 17, 2013 1:13:30 PM

23. Hi, sugar! I'm that "idiot" who's going to school you on the word "queer": The Q-word is interchangeable with the N-word or the K-word, not with benign racial designations. I do not accept dishonest attempts by elite language hipsters to posit "queer" as the equivalent of Black or Jew, except for its use in a "hateful" context. When used on LGBT folk, The Q-word is always hateful, no exceptions!!! And this bigoted woman's use of it is undeniable proof that you cannot "reclaim" slurs and cleanse them of animus; that fact doesn't matter to the "queer" clique, though. Their brains (and their values) are so so scrambled, they can no longer tell right from wrong.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Oct 17, 2013 1:22:47 PM

24. I don't know why this person's comments are surprising or shocking to anyone. This is a small town mayor of someplace in South Carolina that no one had ever heard of until today. This woman has probably had a very limited sort of life and most likely isn't terribly well educated or traveled and her social circle probably isn't very varied. Just because she happens to be a mayor, doesn't mean she's any smarter or has some grand reason for her beliefs. She's just parroting what she was taught, the same as millions of people do across the south and midwest and other places. Doesn't make what she said right, but I don't find it surprising that she said it.

Posted by: Jere | Oct 17, 2013 1:30:08 PM

25. @Disgusted American, no need to blast the way she looks. Seriously. Her bigoted comments stand on their own. If we start bullying her for the way she looks then we are no better than she is.

Posted by: Luke | Oct 17, 2013 1:32:10 PM