Cory Booker | New Jersey | News | Rachel Maddow

Rachel Maddow: Cory Booker is Not Gay

Booker_maddow

Rachel Maddow reports on New Jersey's special Senate election this week between Republican Steve Lonegan and Newark Mayor Cory Booker. Maddow makes note of the firing of Lonegan aide Rick Shaftan for his anti-gay remarks directed at Booker.

Adds Maddow: "Also, for the record, Cory's not gay."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. Aren't people always saying there is nothing wrong with being gay so why does she have to remind people that he isn't? Her show rating are tanking so I am guessing she won't be on the air in 2 years time anyways.

Posted by: Christian | Oct 15, 2013 2:46:07 PM

2. I thought nobody really knew.

IMHO I hope he is. He's super hot, IMO.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 15, 2013 2:48:06 PM

3. It is as inappropriate for a TV host to say "so-and-so is not Gay" on the air as it is for a TV host to say "so-and-so is Gay" on the air. Once again, MSNBC has no respect for the boundaries of propriety! And I am so over Rachel Maddow. Who died and made her the High Arbiter of Sexual Orientation?

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Oct 15, 2013 2:54:46 PM

4. It is as inappropriate for a TV host to say "so-and-so is not Gay" on the air as it is for a TV host to say "so-and-so is Gay" on the air. Once again, MSNBC has no respect for the boundaries of propriety! And I am so over Rachel Maddow. Who died and made her the High Arbiter of Sexual Orientation?

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Oct 15, 2013 2:54:46 PM

5. I wouldn't care one way or another about Cory's sexuality. I know he rushed into a burning building to help folks. That says everything I need to know about Mr. Booker's character. He's an indisputable hero. He's ALWAYS got my vote!!!

Posted by: Geoff | Oct 15, 2013 3:09:42 PM

6. Mentioning that he might be gay the day before the election might not be the best tactic. I'm sure Booker is just so happy she did this.

Posted by: anon | Oct 15, 2013 3:18:39 PM

7. I thought what Rachel Maddow said was very appropriate, since the story was about the accusation that Cory Booker is gay. This accusation has been dealt with in the past and it has been established that Cory Booker is not gay (although there is nothing wrong with that!).

Posted by: Howard | Oct 15, 2013 3:26:10 PM

8. "It has been ESTABLISHED Cory Booker is not gay."

What rubbish. What kind of statement is that for anyone to make. The only truth is "Cory Booker (or ----) states he is/(is not) gay."

Posted by: MIke | Oct 15, 2013 3:38:03 PM

9. I think back to Arianna HUFFINGTON and how she got her name when the big joke at the wedding was who was going to wear the dress. And then Mister runs for the Senate. Arianna: "For the record, he's not gay, darlings."

Posted by: MIke | Oct 15, 2013 3:40:55 PM

10. There is nothing wrong with being gay. I'm reconciled to the fact that Mayor Booker might not be gay. (He's always welcomed to reconsider, though).

Posted by: Perry | Oct 15, 2013 3:43:06 PM

11. HOWARD | OCT 15, 2013 3:26:10 PM

Correct me if i am wrong, but Cory has never said if he is gay or not, so how does Rachel know if he is or isn't?

The only person that should answer that question is Cory himself, not Rachel or Cory's opponents.

Posted by: johnosahon | Oct 15, 2013 3:44:06 PM

12. I don't care whether Cory is gay or not. Actually, I know very little about the man. What I do know is that Job Steward swore to us that the penis pics weren't Anthony Weiner, in fact that they couldn't be Anthony Weiner because Antny's penis isn't that large. Well, we all know how that worked out.

Posted by: Endora | Oct 15, 2013 4:00:08 PM

13. There is NOTHING wrong with being gay! However, there is EVERYTHING wrong with outing someone! All good people are NOT gay, just is all bad people are not gay. Am assuming that she was just setting a fact straight. Also, I'm wondering why you would say that Rachel Maddow or her show are somehow suffering. Two nights ago her show came up as a topic of discussion at a small dinner party that I was at. The general consensus was that both her opinions and her show were EXCELLENT! I concur so my money is most definitely on her . . .

Posted by: Mike | Oct 15, 2013 4:04:42 PM

14. @ johnosahon & Mike, A New Jersey Star-Ledger article from February 2, 2000 reported that when asked, Cory Booker said that he is not gay. Cory Booker himself established the record that he is not gay. He has never said or done anything on the record to contradict that statement. So until he says otherwise I think that pretty much establishes that Cory Booker is not gay. If you have some proof that shows he is gay I'd love to see it.

Posted by: Howard | Oct 15, 2013 4:10:32 PM

15. @HOWARD Ha. Am assuming that you meant the first Mike.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 15, 2013 4:21:40 PM

16. Ok, just to be clear here, if he says he isn't gay, every single one of you would post along the lines of: MMMHMMMM, SUUUURE, BS dude is gay.

Ed Koch said he wasn't gay, did any of you believe him or respect his beliefs at all? Yeah, don't worry, I'm sure you have all grown as people.

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 15, 2013 4:21:54 PM

17. Howie ohh Howie I was just saying the only appropriate voice on one's sexuality is the subject his or her self. Rachel should have not presented herself as the final word "for the record".

Posted by: MIke | Oct 15, 2013 4:32:08 PM

18. You know what they say, "where there is smoke, there is fire".

Posted by: Kent | Oct 15, 2013 4:38:55 PM

19. The Trollroad crazies are out in force today, earning those Koch brothers paychecks (the ones of you who are working for free are just suckers).

I love the fact that Rachel drives them nuts. She should. I'm glad she does.

To state some of the obvious: sexual orientation is not a private issue unless you're a hermit. Calling someone straight is not anti-gay. And the sky is blue.

Back to the grindstone, trolls!

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Oct 15, 2013 5:33:29 PM

20. Rachel saying that Cory is not gay is not a news flash or even worthy of particular focus. As for the right-wing TR posters who know she'll be off the air soon cause of those, gasp, low ratings: don't hold your breath. She'll be on TV as long as she wants to be on TV.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 15, 2013 5:57:20 PM

21. Typical liberals trying to claim every public figure for the gay team. That whole party has gone to hell (indicated by the success of the incompetent Cory Booker). Soon they'll be ousted, and real leadership will bring better times for Americans.

Posted by: Adrenan P | Oct 15, 2013 6:11:06 PM

22. Typical Conservatives just not understanding what happened in the story.

It IS about the unfounded, untrue, anti-gay animus and accusations used AGAINST Booker by his electorial opponent used as slander against Booker.

But nce try trying to flip it into a jab.

Congratulations, AdrenanP

You are Towleroad's Clueless Troll Of The Day!

Posted by: Jenny 0 | Oct 15, 2013 7:16:44 PM

23. Rachel Maddow SHOULD have the inside scoop on Cory Booker's sexuality because they are GASP! personal friends. They met when BOTH were Rhodes Scholars and have been friends ever since.

I haven't heard. Was Booker's opponent a Rhodes Scholar? Oh, that's right. He's from the Tea Party and endorsed by Sarah Palin and neither is a big fan of book learnin', since higher education makes one an "elitist." So chances are that like Palin he BARELY scraped by in school, and therefore is more "real" and like his supporters.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 15, 2013 7:20:07 PM

24. So, Is she saying that she banged Cory Booker?

Posted by: Ben | Oct 15, 2013 7:38:37 PM

25. @Christian: Her ratings are not tanking. She routinely (including last night) gets more than a million viewers. Her ratings among young people are especially high, surging higher than the numbers that some of the conservative stars like Hannity manage to get (again, including last night just as a random example).

Posted by: GregV | Oct 15, 2013 9:02:18 PM