Elton John | News | Russia

Russian Imam Wants Elton John Boycott, Calls Him the 'Devil's Work in the Shape of a Pederast'

An imam in Russia's Muslim Republic of Tatarstan is calling for a boycott of Elton John, calling the singer "the debil's work in the shape of a pederast," RIA Novosti reports:

EltonPromotion of same-sex relations could send the republic’s capital Kazan down the same road as Sodom and Gomorrah, the ancient cities destroyed by Allah as punishment for the sexual delinquency of their inhabitants, imam Seidzhagfar Lutfullin warned.

“Sodomy…is what the world famous homosexual Elton John, who recently wed a man in public, is promoting,” said Lutfullin, the imam of Kazan’s Thousandth Anniversary of Islam Mosque.

Lutfullin called on believers to stay away from Elton John’s show in Kazan and recommended they warn relations and colleagues to do the same “because they may not know,” he said.

Said the cleric: "Divine retribution for taking part in a hotbed of sodomy will fall both on those who attend the concert and those who perform there."

Elton John is scheduled for two dates in Russia, December 7 and 8, in Moscow and Kazan, respectively.

Elton has said he would not boycott the country because he needed to go to support the LGBT community there:

"I'm supposed to be going to Moscow in December.I've got to go. And I've got to think about what I'm going to say very carefully. There's two avenues of thought: do you stop everyone going, ban all the artists coming in from Russia? But then you're really leaving the men and women who are gay and suffering under the anti-gay laws in an isolated situation. As a gay man, I can't leave those people on their own without going over there and supporting them. I don't know what's going to happen, but I've got to go."

He later said he would not speak out against the government from his stage:

You don't just go in there with guns blazing and say, 'Well, to hell with you.' Because they're going to say, 'To hell with you, and get out of the country.' That's not going to solve anything. But if I can go there, maybe I can talk to some people in the administration.

Comments

1. WRONG ✔
    Next!

Posted by: Mike | Oct 3, 2013 8:42:00 AM

2. The wacky, religious zealot has spoken!

All hail the nuttery of Russia!

Posted by: johnny | Oct 3, 2013 8:45:40 AM

3. So what Elton is really saying is "I want your money so I can continue my $80,000/year flower purchasing habit," but I won't say anything to offend the tyrannical government while I'm collecting my check.

Posted by: Just a guy | Oct 3, 2013 9:05:53 AM

4. This guy is religious so he is clearly crazy.

Elton John is someone whose commitment to human rights is dependent on how much he gets paid.

I don't know which person I detest more.

Posted by: MaryM | Oct 3, 2013 9:09:13 AM

5. Elton John is a schmuck.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Oct 3, 2013 9:47:10 AM

6. Whatever you think of Elton, thanks to the crazies at this point he doesn't have to do anything but show up (along with the audience) to make a huge political statement.

Posted by: e.c. | Oct 3, 2013 10:48:37 AM

7. Elton John turning up is NOT a huge political statement.

These concerts will not be televised. He will not speak out about the law.

He will take his blood money and leave.

Just like he used to do, when he performed for segregated audiences in apartheid era South Africa.

Posted by: MaryM | Oct 3, 2013 11:22:34 AM

8. Elton John is a vapid whore. Nothing they say about him or gays in general will provoke a statement of conscience from him. He doesn't have the balls.

Posted by: Richard | Oct 3, 2013 12:39:22 PM

9. dear elton john -

release a schedule of meetings you have planned with russian leadership during your visit to discuss human rights violations, or just admit what many of us suspect - you're going for the money.

don't try to cover up your greed with empty promises about making a difference, when you haven't lifted a finger towards an effort.

sincerely,

everyone who sees through your self-serving claims

Posted by: northalabama | Oct 3, 2013 12:44:23 PM

10. @MaryM
    "Blood money"? Please... Russians know that he's gay, so the people coming to his shows and paying for the tickets are certainly not homophobic enough to warrant that kind of remark. And, yes, in a country where there are no openly gay celebrities simply showing up is a statement.

Posted by: Eugene | Oct 3, 2013 2:14:47 PM

11. For as much as I disagree with Elton's stance on the matter, this imam makes me happy to know that Elton's contract is probably pay-or-play, so no audience (which is unlikely, politics notwithstanding) means nothing in the larger scheme of things.

Posted by: Jerry | Oct 3, 2013 2:30:59 PM

12. Russia should enact a law refusing entry of any gay person so that Elton John doesn't have to waste his breath talking nice to them.

Posted by: simon | Oct 3, 2013 3:47:20 PM

13. My understanding is that to become an Imam requires 0, as in ZERO, qualifications, other than being alive and a male. No education or intellectual ability are necessary.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Oct 3, 2013 7:40:42 PM