Comments

1. Chuck Mielke says

What the party spokesperson meant to say: “We don’t think such ideas should be expressed so clearly and obviously. Mr. Yelton clearly fails to use our approved code words and half-truths to express the ideas we espouse. He is, therefore, a threat to our party.”

2. JMC says

I was honestly so shocked with how honest this guy was when I watched his interview. Republican politicians always at least TRY to dress up their bigotry and hide their true political motives to come off as less repugnant.

It’s seriously a joke for them to say this guy isn’t representative of their party. The GOP would collapse overnight if all of them were this honest.

3. Gregory In Seattle says

@JMC – The Tea Party extremism, and the fact that Tea Party extremism has been embraced by the Republican Party, has given the impression that racism, misogyny, anti-Semitism, homophobia and other types of bigotry are perfectly fine. These views are reinforced by the Faux Noize echo chamber, where they are endorsed by extremist talking heads.

People like Yelton do not live in the normal world any more, and see no problem with saying in public what they say — constantly — in private.

4. JonnyNYNY2FLFL says

Joe Scarborough & others have long advised Republican candidates to keep their mouth shut concerning their bigoted views on social issues. Then (he says) after they are elected, they can put in effect anything they want.

So even when these GOP radical are not blatant, don’t think they’ll be “moderate” once they gain power.

5. Bob R says

@JONNYNYNY2FLFL: It’s called misdirection. Rand Paul gave an example of to use misdirection in a speech he delivered before a college audience recently. He advised them, misdirection works. It’s a key element of the GOP playbook. As Romney noted, if he told voters the truth about his platform, they wouldn’t vote for him.

6. Andy says

Buncombe GOP Chairman Henry Mitchell called the remarks “offensive, uniformed and unacceptable of any member within the Republican Party.”

It was, apparently, perfectly acceptable for the Republicans to have an open racist as a precinct chairman…that is, until he opened his fat stupid yap on national TV and made them look bad.

7. Randy says

Russell Brand just spoke very strongly about why NOBODY should vote. And I think maybe he convinced me.

Read his editorial at the New Statesman. And watch his recent interview with Paxman. Make up your own mind.

8. Acronym Jim says

“I’ve been laughed at by Democrats since I left the party. They try to make me look like a fool,”

Let’s see”
    webbed feet and a flat beak: check;

quacks a lot: check;

waddles: check.

Yep. It’s a fool.

9. Dan says

the Republican party’s new official statement:

” Let me make it very clear, Mr. [FILL IN THE NAME] comments do not reflect the belief or feelings of [FILL IN LOCATION] Republicans, nor do they mirror any core principle that our party is founded upon … This mentality will not be supported or propagated within our party.”

10. Alan says

I’m a little unclear. The headline says he was forced to resign. The text just said people were calling for his resignation, but that he stands by his statements. When did he resign?

11. Pete N SFO says

I saw the interview and although I appreciated the absurdity of this guy, I’ll admit a part of me just saw it as biz as usual.

So what kind of evidence does the SCOTUS need to say, oops, I guess we got that wrong after all?

12. Endora says

There is no voter suppression. The voter integrity laws are race and gender neutral. And yes, if you are too lazy to work then you are probably too lazy to make sure that you are registered to vote and that it matches your drivers license.