Alec Baldwin | Gay Slurs | News

Alec Baldwin: I'm Not a 'Homophobic Bigot'

Alec Baldwin defends himself of charges he is a "homophobic bigot" in a new Huffington Post piece.

A_baldwinWrites Baldwin, in part:

I never used the word faggot in the tape recording being offered as evidence against me. What word is said right after the other choice word I use is unclear. But I can assure you, with complete confidence, that a direct homophobic slur (or indirect one for that matter) is not spoken. In the wake of referring to a tabloid "journalist" as a toxic queen, I would never allow myself to make that mistake again, nor would I expose my wife and family to the attendant ridicule...

He offers some praise for MSNBC's lesbian host:

I think Rachel Maddow is perhaps the single most important television journalist on the air today. And if my show does disappear, I will be grateful in so far as her good work, along with that of O'Donnell and Hayes and Sharpton and Matthews and Jansing, will not be sullied by my problem.

He says he's afraid for himself and his family because of paparazzi:

I am concerned for my family. In Bloomberg's New York, forty or fifty paparazzi are allowed to block streets, inconvenience homeowners, workers and shoppers, and make life miserable for my neighbors. Photographers have tripped and fallen on babies in strollers on my block. They have nearly struck my wife in the face with microphones. They provoke me, daily, by getting dangerously close to me with their cameras as weapons, hoping I will react.

He says he's a philanthropist:

Oddly, my foundation has donated over $11 million of a projected $15 million from revenue from my recent Capital One ads. Many people don't know that and when informed actually find it hard to believe.

Read Baldwin's full piece here.

Previously...
Gay Hairdresser Defends Alec Baldwin, Says Gays Love Him Even More Now: VIDEO [tlrd]
Alec Baldwin Suspended Two Weeks for Gay Slur [tlrd]
Alec Baldwin Uses His Gay Hairdresser to Prove He's Not a Homophobe [tlrd]
Alec Baldwin Hurls Ugly Anti-Gay Slur at Photographer on NYC Street [tlrd]

Comments

1. Well if you're really not, Alec, then it's the best acting you've ever done in your life, because you totally have bigot NAILED.

Posted by: Tiger | Nov 16, 2013 3:46:32 PM

2. Enough.
    I can't read any more on this international crisis.
    Guys, the horse is dead, stop flogging.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 16, 2013 3:47:52 PM

3. Alec Baldwin is a jerk, but he is not our enemy. We have bigger fish to fry.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 16, 2013 3:52:25 PM

4. Alec Baldwin has an anger management problem. He embarrasses himself, and brings discredit to many things he says. There's no denying his talent. Alec, get some help.

Posted by: Jerry | Nov 16, 2013 4:02:47 PM

5. The way all the outraged toxic queens on this site are dogpiling on Alec. It's rabid groupthink.

Posted by: will | Nov 16, 2013 4:11:40 PM

6. This story is over, and was a couple days ago.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 16, 2013 4:13:59 PM

7. Of course you're not Alec, how could anyone think of it? Of course you haven't used homophobic words. You are so misundrerstood. You're an ally, kind hearted human being. Lovely to have your support. I wish I could write this way and really mean it, but I can't. You need to start behave like a real man and stop using offensive language.

Posted by: Matt27 | Nov 16, 2013 4:18:32 PM

8. Can Andy Towle actually give us his own opinion on Alec rather than just fence-sitting? The above article is just a re-cycling of an article from Huffington Post and provides nothing new in the way of an opinion.

It's lazy blogging in my view.

Posted by: ASam | Nov 16, 2013 4:20:02 PM

9. I agree with that. This site is merely regurgitating stories that are available everywhere with no original commentary. Then the same 30 posters come along and scream "Bigot!" in the comment section.

Posted by: will | Nov 16, 2013 4:31:53 PM

10. I like him

Posted by: Reality | Nov 16, 2013 4:38:10 PM

11. Alex, your management is failing you.

What you need to do is make a clear apology for what you quite obviously did, and stop trying to make excuses, and trot out sycophants to tell us how wonderful you are.

Like Rob Ford, you have a problem.

Please, please, show us you're smarter than him.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 16, 2013 4:50:12 PM

12. Say what you want, I love his refreshing and ballsy no-nonsense approach.

Not to mention, he is kinda effin hot.

C'mon folks-lighten the f*ck up. Not everybody is our enemy.

Posted by: jtramon | Nov 16, 2013 4:50:25 PM

13. *Alec

Posted by: Randy | Nov 16, 2013 4:50:33 PM

14. Oh please let's give Alec Baldwin a pass on his homophobia. Barf.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Nov 16, 2013 4:53:06 PM

15. JTRAMON

Gays LOVE drama!!

WILL

It's always been like this...which is why it's good.

PETERPARKER

Exactly.

Posted by: Rowan | Nov 16, 2013 5:13:22 PM

16. Jtramonm, you're really saying Alec Baldwin deserves a pass because he's hot? How pathetic are you? And it's actually the opposite of ballsy to use gay slurs as insults considering how many do it in this day and age.

No, Alec isn't a homophobe, Alec shouldn't be hounded as if he's a homophobe, but he SHOULD NOT get a free pass for the things he has said. Period. Being for gay marriage doesn't absolve you from criticism when you do something anti-gay. Sure, he may not be an enemy, but that does not mean we just ignore what he's done. That would be giving a free pass to casual homophobia. Then again, a lot of gay men are casually homophobic themselves, so not surprised some of you want to look the other way.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Nov 16, 2013 5:16:18 PM

17. Gay men tend to give a pass to liberals who utter homophobic slurs. If it were a conservative who had uttered a homophobic slur, gay men would not be making excuses for him.

There's a tendency towards selective morality within the GLBT community. It's a selective morality which suggests that we are not serious about issues of homophobia.

Posted by: jimbryant | Nov 16, 2013 5:36:31 PM

18. But he IS a homophobe. He uses gay slurs to belittle and insult people. And even in this HuffPo missive, he lies about it, he refuses to apologize for it, and he even blames and belittles gays for calling him a bigot:

"Now, the charge of being a "homophobic bigot," to quote one crusader in the gay community, is affixed"

He's a bullying, manipulative, dishonest, narcisistic, sociopathic homophobe. End of diagnosis.

Posted by: Kev C | Nov 16, 2013 6:03:01 PM

19. I am sick of this fool and his apologies. He is what he is and for that, he needs help, especially anger management. I don't have to give him a pass nor do I have to keep forgiving him. He has learned nothing. It's always someone else's fault. His angry gay slurs and insults and rants are getting old and set a bad example. He needs help. Thank you, MSNBC, for suspending him and please just take him and his god awful show off the air for good.

Posted by: Mick | Nov 16, 2013 6:53:27 PM

20. once again another hollow apology spun as evoke sympathy for the poor abused alec.

Posted by: walter | Nov 16, 2013 7:26:16 PM

21. So our "friends" should be able to call us faggot, but our enemies can't? I don't think so. Yes, he is supportive of our cause, but there comes a time when you're too old for getting diarrhea of the mouth. He's not homophobic, just pathetic.

Posted by: Armando | Nov 16, 2013 7:47:00 PM

22. He's out of chances with me personally. You can't be an ally on tv but a jert when in private. Here's a tip Alec, if you want to Paparazzi to leave them alone, either ignore them or find a new profession. That simple.

Posted by: Rion | Nov 16, 2013 7:59:47 PM

23. Okay. You are, first and foremost, an actor. That being said...does not exclude you from being an idiot. There are far more colorful, imaginative quick insults that one can summon that you, presumably in a profession steeped in gay men and women, could've used. You're lazy. Period. I wouldn't hire you.

Posted by: Geoff | Nov 16, 2013 8:16:31 PM

24. "This story is over..." until he does it again ... and again .... and again and continues to use his charm and "pity me" act to con each and every one of you. The guy is a homophobe. If he can't stand the photographers then he needs to get out of the celebrity business. They give him celebrity and all of his antics make sure he stays in the news. Gag me.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Nov 16, 2013 8:36:31 PM