Gay Marriage | Gay Marriage Proposal | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Marriage Proposal of the Day: Harry and Lance's '99 Red Balloons' Flash Mob — VIDEO

Proposal

Lance writes us:

A few weeks ago my bf of seven years did an amazing thing. for months without me suspecting he organized and produced a flash mob proposal. Now, I know flash mobs have been done before but never have i seen one as completely over the top as the one he put together.

HugHeld at The Frying Pan on Manhattan's west side and consisting of over ninety dancers from Pace University and Marymount Manhattan College performing an amazing dance performance choreographed to "99 Red Balloons" and culminating in him asking me to marry him. It was a day i will never forget!

My bf is a greek cypriot who recently became an American citizen and feels that as gay men it's our responsibly to live our lives as freely as possible in the hope that as we become more visible it will effect change and dispel negative stereotypes. Marriage equality is illegal in Cyprus and the young gay men and women in that country struggle every day to overcome cultural prejudices as well as social taboos in their search for acceptance. It's with this same passion that he organized this very public display of love and devotion.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Don't miss our other recent gay wedding and marriage proposal videos...
Gay Marriage Proposal of the Day: IL Rep. Sam Yingling and Lowell Jaffe [tlrd]
Gay Wedding Video of the Day: Donavan and Ricardo [tlrd]
Gay Wedding Video of the Day: Shannon and Sandy [tlrd]
Gay Marriage Proposal of the Day: Jeanne and Alissa[tlrd]
Gay Marriage Proposal of the Day: Will and RJ [tlrd]

2_proposal

Comments

1. Would have been better if the guy weren't so slow on the uptake.

Posted by: Jay | Nov 8, 2013 9:42:13 AM

2. This is getting ridiculous. It seems everyone wants their15 minutes of fame. It's too bad so many people want the most intimate parts of their lives splashed all over the web.

Posted by: Perry | Nov 8, 2013 9:51:35 AM

3. First of all, thank you to everyone who participated in this proposal and video. You are all the most awesome people! I claim this because it was so awesome to watch you all. It is a real joy to watch these videos because they are joyful and good and even inspiring. Good things are happening in the world!
    Congratulations Lance and Harry. I love that you love a "weirdo"! Can't believe you called him that but....I'm sure it was meant in the kindest way.
    And lastly, thanks to Towleroad for posting these type videos because there is a lot of bad on here and we all need some good in our lives.

Posted by: JT | Nov 8, 2013 10:04:36 AM

4. No more flashmobs.
    No more versions of Cups.
    No more Buring Man either.

Posted by: Target | Nov 8, 2013 10:08:22 AM

5. @Perry, I disagree. I think it is wonderful we are able to see these acts of love. All different yet beautiful. All the best to this couple.

Posted by: Matt27 | Nov 8, 2013 10:09:16 AM

6. I came to work in a b.tchy mood--full of self pity, and listening to the Blues on my IPOD...just waiting to battle Rick. That video brightened my morning. Thanks, Andy.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 8, 2013 10:25:35 AM

7. That was a hoot. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 8, 2013 10:31:45 AM

8. I'd have choreo'd to Every Body Have Fun by Wang Chung. I guess that's why I'm still single.

Posted by: mikeflower | Nov 8, 2013 10:34:51 AM

9. Good choice MikeFlower! I'm going to try to deliver this in my best Big Ethel voice: "Flash mobs have gone too far and we all know it!"

Posted by: Joe | Nov 8, 2013 11:01:01 AM

10. Yes Andy... stop forcing these people into clicking links and watching videos of flash mob proposals, burning man and cups renditions. I mean, obviously they can't simply decide on their own to not watch something in which they have no interest.

/sarcasm off

Honestly, sometimes I don't want to watch another flash mob proposal. So I don't watch them. Kinda simple.

Posted by: Jeff M | Nov 8, 2013 11:49:44 AM

11. still dont wanna get married, but i might have to sign up for a flashmob proposal... wow! if flashmoBs werent a gay invention, the gays per usual have raised the bar :)

Posted by: commmentORIGINALE | Nov 8, 2013 12:21:20 PM

12. Yea, how to make your intended outrageously uncomfortable and pronounce you as "weird" (or was it f•cking weird ?) Clearly the engagement is off to a great start. Best of luck, gentlemen.

Posted by: norseman | Nov 8, 2013 12:37:23 PM

13. To the people who don't like these proposals, flash mobs etc...

DON'T WATCH THEM.

No one is holding a gun to your head.

Posted by: db | Nov 8, 2013 12:57:31 PM

14. I didn't watch the video...because I *loathe* flash mob proposals. They're narcissistic, impersonal and ridiculous. Stop it already.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 8, 2013 1:13:22 PM

15. Come on! They are great! Love to watch them, always make me happy and there should be more expression of love. lighten up everyone….

Posted by: Brett | Nov 8, 2013 1:42:48 PM

16. Okay, I know that some of the usual cast of bitchy, badly aging queens around here aren't going to like this, but Tank has to have his say. While I wish these guys the best together, I just wish that gay guys getting engaged or whatever could be less stereotypical about the whole thing. And I wish that such video clips would highlight manly, he-man type gay guys from time to time instead of the usual type of gay guys one sees portrayed so often in the media. Tank isn't hatin' here; Tank is just saying that our community's diversity needs to be shown more because some of us are actually macho, more or less. Just keepin' it real, guys!

Posted by: TANK | Nov 8, 2013 1:57:03 PM

17. @PERRY and @TARGET - guess what? You may be angry to see other people happy, but the rest of us arent. Stop the bitterness! Great video!

Posted by: reality | Nov 8, 2013 2:05:15 PM

18. ...oh man,
    typical New Yorker ... "what ? , ...what ?" ...but it was beautiful. Tears at this end...can't get enough proposals ... it's giving me the courage to take my man of 20+ years to the altar.

Posted by: George Deeming | Nov 8, 2013 2:23:29 PM

19. That one hot blond dancer rubbing against the wall... Mmmmmm!

Posted by: dumbnhung | Nov 8, 2013 2:32:55 PM

20. Just in case anybody ever wants to do a flashmob proposal to me, it's gotta be Laura Branigan's "Self Control"...otherwise, I'm gonna say no.

Posted by: Joseph | Nov 8, 2013 3:23:24 PM

21. I teered up. Not for me, but it was fun to watch. Cute couple, too! Awwwe! :-) <3

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Nov 8, 2013 7:14:56 PM

22. You know what? It doesn't matter if the format is a bit worn, or if the stunt is over the top. It doesn't even matter if the "surprised" person is actually in on it and acting. These are works of art. Some people will like them and some won't. But one thing is certain- the more video there is, the more witnesses there are, the more articles and books are written the less possible it gets to scrub us from History like was done to use during the Christian era.

Posted by: Endoritos | Nov 9, 2013 11:54:39 AM

23. Never fails..doesn't matter whats going on in the world..a moment like thiss of happy and joy for not only a couple but all those involved there are always those few b@tchy guys that feel their negative comments are required.
    If your tired of the proposals don't watch them
    If your tired of happy people close your curtains and turn out your lights
    The world needs happy..the world needs a lot of things how about spending your energy complaining about things that might actually use your energy wisely.

Posted by: Grant | Nov 10, 2013 2:45:51 PM