News | Survivor | Todd Herzog

BigGayDeal.com

Gay 'Survivor: China' Winner Todd Herzog Battling Alcoholism - VIDEO

Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 9.24.37 AM

Survivor buffs will remember Todd Herzog as the winner of the 15th season of the long running reality show, which took place in China back in 2007. Herzog became the second (and most recent) openly gay man to be crowned Sole Survivor.

Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 9.23.48 AMMore recently, however, Herzog appears to have been struggling with a sad and very serious alcohol addiction and will be seeking an intervention on an upcoming episode of The Dr. Phil Show later this month.

As Dr. Phil puts it bluntly: "I've never talked to a guest that's closer to death than this one."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Exploiting someone's addiction is heinous.

Posted by: perry | Nov 12, 2013 10:46:38 AM

2. LOL. Dr. Phil is a quack.

Posted by: Ted | Nov 12, 2013 10:51:55 AM

3. "I've never talked to a guest that's closer to death than this one [so I simply MUST exploit him for ratings!!!].

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Nov 12, 2013 10:53:00 AM

4. I am not sure what's sadder - Todd's addiction or that he (or someone in his family) thought seeking help from 'Doctor' Phil was a good idea.

Posted by: Steve | Nov 12, 2013 11:06:15 AM

5. He is seeking an intervention? That does not compute.

Posted by: GeoffreyPS | Nov 12, 2013 11:21:10 AM

6. I hate to sound callous. Reality show start, goes to another reality show to keep himself relevant.

If that's what one looks like so close to death we've all got one leg and a nut sack in the coffin.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Nov 12, 2013 11:27:49 AM

7. Dr Phil must have little experience with close to death instances. Perhaps he needs to go to a hospital, or a night shelter or a bar. Idiot.

Posted by: Mitch | Nov 12, 2013 11:29:21 AM

8. Hasn't Dr. Phil actually had guests/patients die under his care? If so, then he *has* talked to guests that have been closer to death.

Posted by: Eric | Nov 12, 2013 11:35:57 AM

9. Dr. Phil is a big old Texas drama queen.

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 12, 2013 11:36:03 AM

10. I hope that he gets all the help that he needs.

Posted by: Caramel96 | Nov 12, 2013 12:21:50 PM

11. That sucks! I hope he finds what he needs. Addiction is no joke

Posted by: cdubois | Nov 12, 2013 1:01:20 PM

12. Money don't buy happiness, eh? "Reality star" treated by "Reality star doc."

If that's what has to happen, I wish him well. I liked Mr Herzog on Survivor. He could hack some rough stuff.

Posted by: Glenn I | Nov 12, 2013 1:42:22 PM

13. Good luck Todd. Once you decide you really need to stop drinking it is easy to do. I stopped successfully 15 years ago.

Posted by: Rtchie Perkins | Nov 12, 2013 2:36:08 PM

14. Dr. Phil is exploiting him? Um, did Dr. Phil put a gun to this attention seeking whore's head and made him appear on his show? I say, boo-freaking-hoo. Grow a pair and get help away from the television camera.

Posted by: Perry | Nov 12, 2013 2:44:32 PM

15. When is this airing?

Posted by: sailingsam | Nov 12, 2013 3:21:33 PM

16. I think his addiction is to reality TV attention. Bromide and Platitude issuer Dr. Phil will only be too happy to help w/ that.

Posted by: anon | Nov 12, 2013 4:07:40 PM

17. I am dismayed at some of the negative comments here. I watch the Dr. Phil show. He is an excellent psychologist. He has helped a lot of people, both on and off screen. Quite often, the family of someone in serious crisis petitions the show to get help for their loved ones. I hope that this young man gets the help he needs. I strongly doubt that someone who is falling all over himself because of acute alcohol intoxication would choose to put himself on national television merely to gain
    publicity. Dr. Phil certainly has the resources that will help him, and I hope he gets it.

Posted by: Chris L. | Nov 12, 2013 4:36:37 PM

18. At the risk of sounding callous, I can't resist paraphrasing the old adage - live by the Reality TV, die by the Reality TV. Can some of his problems be attributed, I have to ask, to having the unhappy details of his personal life exposed to the entire world? Well, to the viewers of Survivor & Dr. Phil, at least. I'll admit that I watch Dr. Phil with the same fascinated horror with which one watches a train wreck, & he definitely does a lot of good. Having said that, I could be wrong, but I don't remember him ever broaching gay issues.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Nov 12, 2013 5:55:02 PM

19. At the risk of sounding callous, I can't resist paraphrasing the old adage - live by the Reality TV, die by the Reality TV. Can some of his problems be attributed, I have to ask, to having the unhappy details of his personal life exposed to the entire world? Well, to the viewers of Survivor & Dr. Phil, at least. I'll admit that I watch Dr. Phil with the same fascinated horror with which one watches a train wreck, & he definitely does a lot of good. Having said that, I could be wrong, but I don't remember him ever broaching gay issues.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Nov 12, 2013 5:55:02 PM

20. Dr. Phil is very supportive of gay people. Here is a link to a page on his website which discusses this:
    drphil.com/articles/article/92

Posted by: Chris L. | Nov 13, 2013 7:50:33 AM

21. He should have went to celebrity rehab with Dr. Drew instead of on Dr. Phil. At least Dr. Drew is a real doctor, and he could have hung out with Tan Mom, and Janice Dickinson. Yeah, she's always in rehab since she needs a place to live.

Posted by: crazycorgi | Nov 13, 2013 8:15:30 AM

22. Dr. Phil doesn't go to them. They write to him. I can't believe how judgemental a lot of gay queens are. Calling this guy a fame whore for seeking help? You bitches should look at your own lives, trolling the Internet looking for hook,ups with total strangers and having unprotected sex! LMAO!

Posted by: kevstar | Nov 14, 2013 10:37:28 PM

23. Thank You Kevstar!

It's astounding how self-righteous some of these comments are! Cold and unfeeling to another human being in pain. Yet, you'd have many of the same condemning those "religious" people that are just as cold and uncaring towards gays that suffer and are in pain.

Posted by: Shane | Nov 18, 2013 3:44:45 PM

24. I've been through this before and understand what Todd is going through. I hope that he takes what he learns in rehab and stays sober. Its a difficult thing to do but it can be done with the right help.

Posted by: Will Rye | Nov 18, 2013 4:45:27 PM