Comments

1. jamal49 says

I watched this speech. Frankly, I was shocked that Mr. Hagel would speak so forcefully about those rogue states and their defiance of federal law. Even more shocking was the hearty applause he was given. This is quite astounding and very much needed. The gloves come off now. We need to confront every last vestige and manifestation of LGBTQ bigotry, get in its face and put an end to it once and for all.

2. Gregory In Seattle says

Direct and willful refusal to obey lawfully given orders. Whether they like it or not, the National Guard is a part of the US Armed Forces and must obey orders. Failure is an exceedingly serious offense.

These states and their military officers are facing arrest, a court martial, and a VERY long time in military prison.

3. HadenoughBS says

Oh, boy, oh, joy. My state, Texas, is one of these “rogue states” refusing to comply with the DOD’s orders. I’ve been waiting impatiently for someone like Hagel to take on these GOP-run state governments. I can’t wait to see how Texas Rethuglicans react to the federal government’s involvement in making this right!

4. Mike Ryan says

Gosh, doesn’t the speech just swell your heart with pride? Well done Hagel, well done. Any state that refuses should lose their own National Guard. Try living with that you bigots and see how far life takes you in a disaster.

5. john patrick says

This is excellent. I remember, when Chuck Hagel was nominated for Secretary of Defense, the controversy over whether his previous statements and actions meant he would not be a friend of gay service members. His actions as Secretary have shown him to be an effective and forceful advocate for equal and fair treatment of gay members.

6. TomTallis says

The one thing that they truly worship in those states is money. They should set a deadline and if they don’t comply, bust the officers, and cut off the federal funding.

7. simon says

It is amazing that these states still have the mentality that God’s laws trump Federal laws.
    The Supreme Court has long decided that :
    “state laws that conflict with federal law are without effect” Same go for those anti-sodomy laws which are still on the books but cannot be enforced.

8. Michael Bedwell says

As ye olde saying goes, “Better late than never.” But Hagel should have unequivocally ordered compliance before the DEERS enrollment process began, anticipating a variation on the footdragging some national guards did until the early 60s in regard to racial integration. Is their no institutional memory at the Pentagon. And, sadly, otherwise brilliant Rachel Maddow doesn’t know what the hell she’s about when she asserts that all is well for gay service members and their families EXCEPT in these states. For while one side of Hagel’s mouth was saying this, the other side was remaining silent on far more serious issues. Hagel is apparently doing nothing to see that civilian spouses of gay service members stationed overseas are given all the benefits their straight counterparts are or allowed to stay in whatever country just as straight spouses are. For instance, contrary to articles in military organ “Stars and Stripes” documenting that the governments of Japan and Korea have NO problem with admission of such gay military spouses, some American military commanders are claiming that the do. Further, and this affects ALL gay service members everywhere, not just those married, unlike the Coast Guard, the four military branches under Hagel’s command are still refusing to give gay service members the same protections against discrimination in such things as duty assignment, performance appraisals, and promotions that straight service members automatically get in terms of race, gender, ethnicity, etc.? That’s only two-years overdue, and Hagel’s the second SECDEF to do nothing about it.

9. Derrick from Phillly says

Well, I thought we were going to get a positive posting from Mister Bedwell about the Obama Administration today–because of Secretary Hagel’s forceful speech.

I guess this is about as positive as Mister Bedwell is going to get for anything Obama.

That’s ok–you only have 3 years to go, Mister Bedwell…then you might be dealing with President Ted Cruz.

10. RonCharles says

Bravo to Secretary Chuck Hagel! He understands how important it is to protect the rights of all those who serve our great country, and he is doing just that.

11. Michael Bedwell says

And I thought I could expect a fairer comment from someone whom I respect such as you, Derrick. These may be incovenient truths for you to read, but truth they are, and I would have thought such shooting of the messenger simply because you don’t like the message was beneath you. Instead, you sadly try to paint me as the villain when I’m not the one treating gay and lesbian service members like second class citizens even after repeal. Someday I hope you can make a different choice: between turning a blind eye to the continued broken promises of a straight political hero that are not erased by whatever good he’s done and demanding full equality for your own fellow gays. With apologies to Shakespeare, it is not that I love Obama less but that I love gay equality more.

“The eradication of [Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell] will require more than just eliminating one statute. It will require the implementation of anti-harassment policies and protocols for dealing with abusive or discriminatory behavior as we transition our armed
    forces away from a policy of discrimination. The military must be our active partners in developing those policies and protocols. That work should have started long ago. It will start
    when I take office.” – Candidate Barack Obama, November 29, 2007.

12. Derrick from Philly says

“….it is not that I love Obama less but that I love gay equality more.”

I know that. And I did NOT paint you as a villain. Anybody who escorted Eartha Kitt to a Gay event in the 1970s could NOT be villain to me.

I’m just a loyal Democrat, Mister Bedwell. From FDR to Obama–I am a loyal Democrat. I mean, on a national level. When it comes to George Wallace or Lester Maddox…well it’s a differnt story.