James Franco | News

BigGayDeal.com

James Franco 'I Guess That a Lot of the Figures That I Love Were Gay'

Franco

James Franco talks about his attraction to gay subject matter in a new interview with the Daily Beast:

It’s not like it’s my mission to tell the stories of as many gay men as possible, although in some cases, I think it is the point. In Milk, the point is to show one of the great fighters for equal rights for the gay community, so I was happy to do that. With characters like Allen Ginsberg [in Howl], my love for him started with his work when I was a teenager. So his sexuality is secondary to me. It’s an important aspect of who he was and his character, but it wasn’t like, “Yes, I want to play another gay role,” it was more, “Yes, I’d love to play another one of my heroes.”

He adds:

Once I choose a subject, if that’s part of who they are and their character, I’m not going to shy away from portraying that. And of course I’m for equal rights and will do whatever I can do to help make that happen. But I feel like because I’ve done more gay characters, gay scenes, or gay projects than most straight actors, people see it as some sort of mission. It’s more of a case-by-case basis, and just trying to capture figures that I love. I guess that a lot of the figures that I love were gay.

Comments

1. Zzzzzz.

(Da*m,used to be his biggest fan as well!)

Posted by: Rowan | Nov 5, 2013 11:01:18 AM

2. Thank god he finally came out as straight. It's about time he admitted it. Everyone knew all along.

Posted by: RayJacksonMS | Nov 5, 2013 11:02:03 AM

3. So we are told that no actor can come out for fear of alienating a straight audience.

But for some reason it's OK for a straight actor to play gay.

Hell to the no.

James Franco is part of the problem. He should not be stealing gay actors' roles. After all they are unable to other roles.

(Or so we are constantly told).

Posted by: MaryM | Nov 5, 2013 11:06:04 AM

4. Love him! And I love that he's such a champion of gay causes despite the fact that the majority of snide comments about him seem to come from gays and not straights.

Posted by: Kevin | Nov 5, 2013 11:26:13 AM

5. I want to kiss him. Just once. Anybody that makes a film adaptation of a Faulkner novel is bound to get me aroused (I know, weird).

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 5, 2013 11:29:48 AM

6. Oh please. "Stealing" roles? Sorry, but he gets people to go to the theaters. If you are willing to make gay role exclusive to gay actors, then you better be willing to bounce gay actors out of straight roles as well.

Posted by: Joey Y | Nov 5, 2013 11:48:54 AM

7. Charismatic, handsome, talented and extremely gay-friendly. What's not to like?

Posted by: Mundus | Nov 5, 2013 11:57:27 AM

8. He's become really tiresome.

It's not a matter of "stealing gay roles" at all. It's his wholesale hogging of gay history -- a subject he thinks he understands, but doesn't. "Interior Leather Bar" is pathetic. And forget about anyone making a serious film about Hart Crane anytime soon.

Franco suffers from Delusions of Adequacy. And he's of no help to us.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 5, 2013 11:59:32 AM

9. @MaryM: He's not "stealing" anyone's roles. He auditions and he gets roles because he's a great actor.
    As far as I'm concerned, it's none of a casting sgent's business to pay any attention to any auditioning actor's orientation.
    A gay actor (Jim Parsons) won the Best Actor (comedy) Emmy this year (in a straight role). Matt Bomer, John Barrowman, Lauren Ash, Neil Patrick Harris, Jane Lynch and many others are gay and starring in hit series as straight characters. Chris Colfer and Jesse Tyler Ferguson are gay and won or were nominated (respectively) for Emmy awards playing a gay character.
    We need to be treated as equals in the auditions -- NOT to be pigeonholed into limited roles. And that means that sometimes James Franco or Julianne Moore will be playing a character who's gay and Zachary Quinto or Lily Tomlin will be playing one who's straight.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 5, 2013 12:13:52 PM

10. @KEVIN Well said.

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 5, 2013 12:54:17 PM

11. whaaaat?! i have the worst gaydar & i never thought he was gay

Posted by: joe | Nov 5, 2013 1:13:02 PM

12. Franco can steal whatever gay role he wants. He does the job with more genuine enthusiasm than several gay actors I might name.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 5, 2013 1:14:17 PM

13. Tired of that closeted queen.

Posted by: litper | Nov 5, 2013 5:02:19 PM

14. Why so much hate?

Posted by: Mike | Nov 6, 2013 12:42:39 AM

15. I wish just ONCE an interviewer would press Franco on the fact that he and his brother often turn being gay into a comedic triviality. If he is so gay-friendly, gay-positive, and gay-supportive as he claims, why is his career filled with so much material that presents being gay as little more than something worth laughing at?

He can get all the gay roles he wants but does he really have to compensate for this by turning around and making non-heterosexuality a comic relief? It's sophomoric and lacks insight on his part. It's ridiculous that no interviewer has the temerity to call him on it.

Oh and the "I wish I were gay" thing? Ain't that some straight privilege right there. It just goes to show you that being gay is about as real to him as the Wizard of OZ. If he understood what it meant to be gay in today's world he would never utter such a thing. It's like a white person saying they wish they were black. No you don't and you know it. Stop pandering and baiting. It's about as cute and funny as all the jokes you make about gay sex.

Posted by: SexFlexible.com | Nov 6, 2013 6:24:52 PM

16. @SexFlexible: I have never seen James Franco use the simple concept of homosexuality as a punchline. Without a single example from you (and having seen him only being cool and classy in his comments on gay issues), I won't assume you haven't jumped to unfair conclusions.
    I detest when homosexual orientation is used as a cheap punchline (and would gladly boycott any movie that does so).
    I've also gladly paid my ticket price for most of the movies James Franco's been in, including movies like Milk where he (very appropriately) played a gay character and 127 Hours in which he played a straight one.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 7, 2013 9:07:52 PM

17. @SexFlexible: I have never seen James Franco use the simple concept of homosexuality as a punchline. Without a single example from you (and having seen him only being cool and classy in his comments on gay issues), I won't assume you haven't jumped to unfair conclusions.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 7, 2013 9:07:52 PM