Comments

1. UFFDA says

That’s hilarious, an inverse of the story 1950’s actress “blond bombshell” Shelly Winers told about how she got the role of Montgomery Cliff’s dull closet wife in A Place In the Sun. She showed up at the audition looking, in clothes and manner, so drab and lackluster that the director didn’t recognize her at first. Good for Leto.

2. says

Is it just me or are the “contact” and “tips” links not working? I want to know why Towleroad has so far not addressed the deceptive article from The Wrap which “speculates” that Orson Scott Card will not be making any money from Ender’s Game. That claim had made it to the Yahoo front page and it’s patently false, likely planted by the studio to defuse any potential boycott. It’s also complete and utter BULL.

If you pay attention that article says 2 things that are probably true, or at least possibly true, while very conveniently leaving out a 3rd fact. They state that Card sold the rights to Ender’s Game without a profit-sharing clause, and that as a Producer he didn’t have creative control. But what they NEVER say is that, creative control or not, as a Producer on the film Orson Scott Card very much WILL share in the profits!

This story is gaining traction in the news and needs to be addressed NOW, taking precedence over the latest video with cute boys in it or 9 year old opera “divas”!

3. Brian in Texas says

Caliban,

He may just be a “consulting producer” since he wrote the source material for the film. I find it highly unlikely though that he wouldn’t share in some of the profits of the film assuming it does well at the box office/DVD sales.

4. anon says

It doesn’t matter whether O S Card makes any current profit from the success of Ender’s Game or not. If it is successful, it is likely that he will gain FUTURE profits by selling the rights to other works for FUTURE films. That’s where the most danger comes in because Card uses his money to fund anti-gay hate with both NOM and the Mormom Church.

5. Mike says

Can EASILY see why the extraordinarily talented Jared Leto tried SO hard to get the part of the tragically AIDS infected yet constantly colorful transsexual Rayon in “The Dallas Buyers Club” with Matthew McConaughey leading an excellent cast. For THIS PART a little flirting was certainly in order! As he says with just a tiny bit of camp “A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do, baby.” Leto lost 30 pounds for this role and McConaughey lost 50 pounds. The film is based on the true-life tale of Ron Woodroof, who was the subject of a lengthy 1992 article in The Dallas Morning News written by journalist and author Bill Minutaglio. The anticipation is now building and this may will turn out to be THE GAY MOVIE of the year! As said above, it is directed by the gifted Jean-Marc Vallée who oversaw an equally accomplished crew. From early reviews many have already predicted Oscar nominations. Among those are Best Motion Picture, Best Directing, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor for Jared Leto . . .

6. Mikey says

That’s actually a really cute anecdote. I really want to see this flick when it gets to Chicago.

7. greg says

I always forget I like Jared Leto, hes so under the radar, until he pops up again. Good for him on getting his role.

8. greg says

9. BrianM says

What I like best about Leto is the professional risks he has taken since his career breakthrough in “My So-Called Life.” (Even if I don’t always like the results!) I don’t think he’s ever taken a role in what would be considered a sure-fire commercial hit.