Alec Baldwin | Joan Rivers | News

Joan Rivers Unloads Litany of Racial and Homophobic Slurs in Defense of Alec Baldwin: VIDEO

Rivers

Joan Rivers thinks everybody needs to relax about Alec Baldwin, because everybody's something, and Joan knows 'em all.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I decline, on principle, to watch any video that is stamped 'TMZ.' Those people are part of the problem, not the solution.

Posted by: Lars | Nov 27, 2013 10:16:58 AM

2. Not impressed. Joan was raised in that generation which was not taught to respect or accept minorities. I guess she's too busy with all her plastic surgery.

Posted by: David From Canada | Nov 27, 2013 10:24:33 AM

3. On every single episode... I repeat, EVERY SINGLE EPISODE... of the E! Channel's "Fashion Police," Joan makes racial jokes about how "yellow" an Asian person is or how "black" an African-American is. She can't see past a person's skin color. It's black this and yellow that. I feel like we've gone back to the 1950's.

Posted by: Every Time | Nov 27, 2013 10:35:25 AM

4. Jeez this Alec Baldwin story is getting tiresome.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 27, 2013 10:35:36 AM

5. My litmus test for excusing Joan's potty mouth is: Is it funny?
    These remarks are not funny.
    Pathetic.

Posted by: keating | Nov 27, 2013 10:35:41 AM

6. I was a huge fan of Joan Rivers at one time, but that was a long time ago. She has overstayed her welcome and needs to retire.

Posted by: Adam | Nov 27, 2013 10:37:59 AM

7. I'll never understand why some queens think she's funny or ... really anything. She's been spouting homophobic garbage since at least the late 1970s and people still think she's all that? Inexplicable celebrity.

Posted by: Perrin Blackshocked | Nov 27, 2013 10:38:49 AM

8. Perhaps she should kill herself like her husband did.

Posted by: MaryM | Nov 27, 2013 10:40:04 AM

9. If people who look forward to your retirement lose hope, they start looking forward to your demise.

Posted by: AdamK | Nov 27, 2013 10:40:53 AM

10. Her comments don't make me angry nor do they sway me to her opinion. I really don't care if Alec Baldwin is a homophobe. He doesn't affect the rotation of the earth but I will not be disrespected. Alec Baldwin probably should own what he said and apologize (only if he means to) and also own what the outcome is. Joan has a voice she can use to build up or tear down. I think she could help to diminish stereotypes by not fueling them.

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 27, 2013 10:41:02 AM

11. These are just words...grow lives...

Posted by: Ankerich | Nov 27, 2013 10:43:15 AM

12. Hahahaha "dot and feather."

Posted by: whatthefuck | Nov 27, 2013 10:44:57 AM

13. The queen of put downs used to get some laughs from me, now she just comes across as mean. She loves to throw shade on every target of opportunity that gets her attention. Looking forward to the day they throw some dirt on her.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Nov 27, 2013 10:45:08 AM

14. I remember seeing her doing standup on TV when I was a child, mercilessly hounding Elizabeth Taylor about her weight and telling women to sell out for jewelry, and even then I knew she was just awful.

Posted by: Marcus | Nov 27, 2013 10:50:36 AM

15. Right now Mel Gibson is home saying, "Where was this Jew hag when I needed her?"

Posted by: Kieran | Nov 27, 2013 10:55:32 AM

16. love joan, speaking the truth

Posted by: Dy | Nov 27, 2013 11:00:26 AM

17. Joan who?

Posted by: ToThePoint | Nov 27, 2013 11:00:30 AM

18. Joan Rivers has been recycling the same schtick and jokes since at least the 1970s and probably before that.

I really don't think she's truly a "gay ally" at all, she just knows better than to sh!t where she eats so she generally sucks up to the gays.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 27, 2013 11:20:29 AM

19. She forgot the word "bigot."
    That's the word fundamentalist homophobes complain that we use to slur them.
    So, Joan, they can call us faggots but we can't call them bigots for calling us faggots?
    Is that how it works today in your refreshing, common-sense view of the world?

Posted by: woody | Nov 27, 2013 11:26:47 AM

20. She is tired.

Posted by: C.J. | Nov 27, 2013 11:26:49 AM

21. Alec Baldwin is a sociopath. His narcissism is what has mainly been on display throughout this pathetic, over-exploited "news" cycle.

I would imagine Joan Rivers is trying to emphasize that desensitizing words is key to moving forward in her opinion. The way she speaks is obviously flippant, and probably meant for mass consumption to bring ratings to one of her pointless shows. I do find Joan quite funny at times, but as stated above, this wasn't one of them. I don't think that merits wishing death upon her. The dialog about race in America is oddly stunted considering how often we are exposed to it in terms of cultural and economic factors reported to us daily.

Do we need to regulate the use of language? Does the argument hold up when we are constantly seeking justification of freedoms through the constitution? Does it matter more what a black person or a gay person thinks of the use of a word like n#gger or faggot? Was the use of the pound sign in the last sentence appropriate? I guess the dialogue is still on.

Posted by: Alex N | Nov 27, 2013 11:28:18 AM

22. I don't think she knows the extent of what has been said. I think she only knows that a friend is being attacked for speaking out of anger.

Her comments did not offend, she just seems tired to me and was looking to give something because she is angry at her friend's treatment. You'd do the same for your friends. I know I would, but I'd find out the whole truth first.

Posted by: Robert | Nov 27, 2013 11:39:37 AM

23. Oh, Joan. Where was this attitude of forgiveness when you stated that Mel Gibson 'should die' for his anti-semetic rants?

I think Alec has a problem with generalized vicious anger more than he has a problem with the gays - but Joan's argument is pure hypocrisy.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 27, 2013 11:42:11 AM

24. Side Note to Kathy Griffin:

Love what you do now, but take heed, lest this be where you end up in life without realizing it.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 27, 2013 12:02:25 PM

25. This is what Joan Rivers does. Anyone who believes she is legitimately racist or homophobic and not just playing this up prove a point (correct or not) needs to give their head a shake. I honestly believe that the words fag and faggot do not equate to Gay person when most use it as a term to degrade someone. It's the same as when people call something gay. I have lots of friends who use the word gay as a synonym for stupid and I don't believe any of them are the least bit homophobic. I try to make it known that it isn't the best choice of words, but it has become ingrained in vocabulary as a word meaning stupid; when used in that context. I think we as a community need to continue to educate people that using gay or fag as words for stupid or idiot is not a acceptable language choice, but we also need to stop labeling everyone who does use these words in this way a homophobe. Yes, some of them are, but I would wager that most are not.

Posted by: Matt | Nov 27, 2013 12:03:16 PM