ENDA | John Boehner | News

John Boehner: 'I See No Basis or Need' for Legislation Protecting LGBT People in the Workplace

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) was asked today by the Washington Blade's Chris Johnson about whether he'll allow a vote on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which was passed in an historic Senate vote last week.

BoehnerSaid Boehner:

"I am opposed to discrimination of any kind, in the workplace and any place else. But I think this legislation that I’ve dealt with as chairman of The Education & The Workforce Committee…is unnecessary and would provide a basis for frivolous lawsuits. People are already protected in the workplace. I’m opposed to continuing this. Listen, I understand people have differing opinions on this issue, and I respect those opinions. But as someone who’s worked in the employment law area for all my years in the State House and all my years here, I see no basis or no need for this legislation."

Currently, people can still be fired simply for being gay in 29 states.

Comments

1. Soulless tool.

Posted by: joel | Nov 14, 2013 1:51:22 PM

2. Instead of asking the same question over and over again, journalists need to confront him on his repeated bald-faced LIE on this issue.

Posted by: Shelly | Nov 14, 2013 1:56:47 PM

3. Too bad you can't fire a Congressman for being an uneducated, bigoted, spray-tanned asshat.

Posted by: Jumper | Nov 14, 2013 1:58:27 PM

4. Big business told him to kill it. He's a puppet for the 'Cock Brothers'

Posted by: JEFF YORK | Nov 14, 2013 2:01:05 PM

5. We already know what will come out of his mouth. No need to even pay any attention. His mind is like a steel trap - nothing gets in and nothing gets out.

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 14, 2013 2:04:29 PM

6. Said the straight, white man.

Posted by: Mitch | Nov 14, 2013 2:08:49 PM

7. Typical Republican response, more worried about employers getting sued than people's rights to be protected for being who they are. Wonder if he thought women, disabled, and race getting protection was unneeded as well. I'm sure he would be all for protection of religion which is a choice!

Posted by: Owen | Nov 14, 2013 2:12:23 PM

8. There is no evidence of voter fraud, yet Republicans have no problems moving forward with Voter ID laws.

Posted by: Ben | Nov 14, 2013 2:17:42 PM

9. Wow, just the worst.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 14, 2013 2:20:57 PM

10. Boehner is one of the many players responsible for the historic lower-than-low approval ratings of Congressional Rethuglicans, especially those in the House. It appears the Whig Party will come around to supporting the LGBT community before the throwback GOPers do so.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Nov 14, 2013 2:22:13 PM

11. I see no basis or need, Rep. Boehner, to piss in your overtanned face if I ever meet you. But I will be sure to do so anyway.

Posted by: dommyluc | Nov 14, 2013 2:23:36 PM

12. Of course he doesn't. He only thinks for himself and people alike.

Posted by: Matt27 | Nov 14, 2013 2:24:31 PM

13. ..and this is WHY as a gay man, I wont have anything to do with Gays that are Republican.....sorry MY RIGHTS Trump your F'n Tax-breaks!!!!

Posted by: disgusted american | Nov 14, 2013 2:25:37 PM

14. Once again they ask the person completely unaffected by the act. He couldn't possibly answer a question that he has no experience with. Who cares how long you worked in an antiquated system. It's like if they asked me how Martians would fare if we did or didn't pass a certain law regarding them. I would have no perspective and should logically decline to comment on their well being, much less assume I know what's BEST based on my own history.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Nov 14, 2013 2:28:15 PM

15. Can't wait to see how the Log Cabin Toms spin this.

Posted by: Bubba | Nov 14, 2013 2:53:12 PM

16. Of course you think this, Boehnerkiller.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Nov 14, 2013 3:06:52 PM

17. If it was protection for Orange-Americans, he'd be the first to sign!

Posted by: John in Houston | Nov 14, 2013 3:10:15 PM

18. No, Boner, you're NOT 'opposed to discrimination of any kind'. We might be worthless, but we're not dumb.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Nov 14, 2013 3:12:13 PM

19. STFU, do your job and bring it up for a vote. We don't really care what you think.

Posted by: David | Nov 14, 2013 3:12:38 PM

20. @BUBBA, the Log Cabiners will deflect and say this is Obama and the liberals fault. They will also bring up Obamacare, Fast and Furious and Benghazi lol

Posted by: ny2.0 | Nov 14, 2013 3:13:25 PM

21. I live in a right-to-work state. They can fire me for not liking my shoes. I guess I can see the need for this, but every single
    place I have ever worked has had an anti-discrimination thing in their rules that includes LGBT.

Posted by: AJ | Nov 14, 2013 3:16:08 PM

22. As long as you can't be fired for being an alcoholic, Boehner is happy.

Posted by: Buster | Nov 14, 2013 3:20:44 PM

23. I'm going to have nightmares about the way his tie clashes with his spray tan.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 14, 2013 3:32:47 PM

24. Seriously...the reason he doesn't bring it up is that he's afraid the House will pass it, so he's, in effect, not acting as a real representative, but a small time dictator. Not much difference from him and Sadaam

Posted by: woodroad34 | Nov 14, 2013 3:46:24 PM

25. "Currently, people can be fired for simply being gay in 29 states." True. At the same time, people can also be fired for simply being overweight in 49 states. Or can simply be fired for wearing a beard when the company's policy is not to. And yet, in the overwhelming number of situations, these firings never happen. The reality is, such terminations are rare enough that it doesn't require the heavy hand of the federal government to intervene.

You may not like Boehner's rationale, but it's true...ENDA will be another avenue for frivolous lawsuits and for further advancing the increasingly-heavy hand of the federal government into areas of life it doesn't belong. And that ultimately hurts all of us, gay and straight alike.

Posted by: Jon | Nov 14, 2013 4:14:48 PM