Gay Marriage | News

Kids React to Gay Marriage in Revealing New Video: WATCH

Kidsreact_gaymarriage

The producers of the 'Kids React' series dropped their latest piece of work over the weekend — a fascinating look at kids reacting to videos of two gay marriage proposals we've featured on Towleroad - the Home Depot proposal and the Girl on a Bus proposal.

Write the filmmakers:

We spoke with 13 kids ages 5-13, presenting them with 2 viral videos of same sex marriage proposals, and then had a very frank and honest conversation to get their thoughts about it all. As you will see there is a mixture of negativity, confusion and support from our panel, with a running theme of not understanding why inequality continues to exist in our world, and that equal rights is very important.

It's a thought provoking episode that will stir controversy, but we believe it's important to have these types of conversations openly, and hope we captured a moment in time that showed what the state of this issue was in our society in 2013.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The one really young kid who opposed being gay and same-sex marriage? Anti-gay adults sound exactly like him.

And I loved the kid who asked how *gay* got its name. When the interviewer said gay originally meant *happy*, the boy said, "So, if I got a box of microscopes, I'd be gay?". That was, and is still, me.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Nov 4, 2013 9:11:45 AM

2. Kids are so honest. I always hope the new generation/s will be better than current ones.

Posted by: Matt27 | Nov 4, 2013 9:18:24 AM

3. Dastius Krazitauc - I agree that one younger child (boy with the pointy eyebrows) has Obviously HEARD Anti-Gay diatribe at home or somewhere.

Posted by: disgusted american | Nov 4, 2013 9:25:23 AM

4. The blinking kid. Was he hoping for clarity? Great video.

Posted by: Mitch | Nov 4, 2013 9:27:09 AM

5. Wow. That's actually pretty amazing. Out of all of them there was ONE kid who was anti-gay. He's only 5 years old so you've got to wonder what he's hearing at home that makes him react so badly. Interestingly, he's also the one kid I'd pick out of all of them as maybe a proto-gay.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 4, 2013 9:31:58 AM

6. @Disgusted American- True, but I meant that the anti-gay adults sound as eloquent and reasoned as 5 year olds.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Nov 4, 2013 9:32:18 AM

7. Those twin girls are so beautiful, inside and out. I like how one of the guys referenced Macklemore. This vid feels like heavy progaganda, but it's a propaganda I approve of. I'd be interested to see how kids from North Carolina reacted, too.

Posted by: will | Nov 4, 2013 9:41:24 AM

8. It's nice to see Troy from MasterChef Junior which makes me wonder, did these kids audition?

Posted by: Robb G | Nov 4, 2013 9:55:32 AM

9. I saw this on Sunday. A brilliant end to the weekend.

Posted by: bollox | Nov 4, 2013 10:02:49 AM

10. Cute. Cute. Cute. Awesome.

Posted by: David From Canada | Nov 4, 2013 10:10:35 AM

11. I have a bad feeling this latino kid will turn out to be closeted gay and Republican.

Posted by: litper | Nov 4, 2013 10:18:39 AM

12. "got a hobby" - HA! love it.

Posted by: peter | Nov 4, 2013 10:18:58 AM

13. Ok, I am also not interested in moving to a state with a lot of tornadoes. And, where did that young Sandra Bullock come from?!

Cool kids!

Posted by: Sam | Nov 4, 2013 10:31:29 AM

14. I'm gay that a box of microscopes will make that kid happy.
    It's much better than a box of crucifixes.
    Science is good.
    It opens minds.
    This kid is on our side.

Posted by: woody | Nov 4, 2013 10:43:58 AM

15. I really Love this. It gives me so much hope for the overall future of our country and hopefully the world.

Posted by: Anthony | Nov 4, 2013 10:48:06 AM

16. A beautiful example of what true parenting is..
    its easy to see who has parents that allow their children to grow and become the type of individuals that the world requires..
    It was encouraging that the majority of children had no issues with being gay or gay marriage..these children are the future

Posted by: Grant | Nov 4, 2013 10:54:31 AM

17. The older kids really get it. More than MOST adults. I'm not going to pretend these kids are representative of all youth but this video is very nice. The Fine brothers don't at all hide their pro-LGBT position so yeah, maybe it's propaganda, but that's not a bad thing. More positive progressive videos like this can only make things better for us.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Nov 4, 2013 11:01:56 AM

18. Great watch!...but STILL no black kids included... Maybe in another version somewhere...

Posted by: H | Nov 4, 2013 11:15:54 AM

19. One thing I found kind of interesting:

I watched another video of the kids watching optical illusions (things like a "shoe sitting on the desk" that turns out to be a photo when we see it turned to its side).
    The kids were fascinated and were interested in thinking them through from different perspectives so they could understand how they actually work -- all EXCEPT the same kid who said gays are bad but has no reason why. He says he absolutely would NOT test the illusions at home and that his mother would not allow it.
    Somehow he has obviously gotten the idea that testing theories and thinking things through to their logical conclusion is what "bad boys " do.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 4, 2013 11:25:24 AM

20. Put on your shades, the future's looking mighty bright.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 4, 2013 11:37:51 AM

21. @GregV

Oh wow, really? Poor kid, having parents like that. I hope he can break free of that when he's older instead of passing it down yet another generation.

Posted by: Will | Nov 4, 2013 11:45:08 AM

22. There is no such thing as homophobic children,just children with homophobic parents.

Posted by: Mikah | Nov 4, 2013 11:46:54 AM

23. Thank goodness for smart people.

Posted by: mike | Nov 4, 2013 12:36:23 PM

24. When did we reach the peak of gay acceptance in this country? Because clearly we have. Is there a specific date when people just decided? I think it happened before Obama. He evolved after everyone else. I was there for the first gay pride walk, when being gay was classified as a mental disorder by the AMA. Astonishing to think of how things have changed.

Posted by: Jonster | Nov 4, 2013 1:11:54 PM

25. @H: I watch this series, and the related ones, pretty regularly. There's at least one black kid that shows up on the "kids react" series pretty regularly. Don't remember his name, but he's right at the top end of their age range and I assume they'll graduate him to "teens react" pretty soon. No idea why he's not on this one, but I'm reluctant to assume malice where schedule conflict seems a likely reason.

Posted by: Sean | Nov 4, 2013 1:19:53 PM