Film | News | Starbucks

'Spartacus' Goes to Starbucks: VIDEO

Spartacus

The latest from Improv Everywhere's 'Movies in Real Life' series.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I used to really enjoy IE. Their stunts were not just funny, but often also subversive -- highlighting ironies and questioning assumptions. Like having a bunch of regular guys shop shirtless in Abercrombie. Or seeing how people will treat you if you wear a blue polo shirt and khakis at Best Buy. Or imagining that singing infused everyday life the way it does in opera and musical theater and movies.

But they seem kind of played out. Now their pranks are overly cute, without the subversion or risk taking. Did they get lazy? Or maybe they haven't changed and I just got bored. Not sure.

Posted by: Lars | Nov 26, 2013 1:59:37 PM

2. I can't run the video without these anyclip things playing their sound over the sound of the video I want to watch. And it doesn't allow me to turn off the anyclips. Andy - fix this!!!

Posted by: matthew | Nov 26, 2013 2:18:20 PM

3. That's a lot of Spartacii with American accents.

Reminds me of Tony Curtis saying :
    "Yonder lies the castle of my fadder."....in a very American accent also. Great !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 26, 2013 2:42:25 PM

4. Spartacus can lick the foam off my venti

Posted by: Ted | Nov 26, 2013 2:42:44 PM

5. A) I willing to bet most the actual patrons/workers don't get the reference.
    B) How many actual patrons were there? Once everyone is in on the joke it's really lost its humor.

Posted by: Craig | Nov 26, 2013 2:51:36 PM

6. It would be even funnier if they said, "Spartacus sum" (which is the Latin translation). Then he could add "Esurio" (which means "I'm hungry") as he picked up the order.

Posted by: Bill | Nov 26, 2013 3:20:43 PM

7. This was a lot funnier to me when I heard it was an impromptu joke perpetrated by one guy who had them write Spartacus on the drink order and then everyone with half a brain and a sense of humor joined in with "I am Spartacus" once one clever man was inspired to say that when the order was ready.

As a pre-planned group prank, it has none of that comraderie creativity and a tenth of the humor. I'm sorry I ever saw this video.

Posted by: Zlick | Nov 26, 2013 6:07:25 PM

8. I was at a Starbucks on Hallowe'en when a dude came in dressed like a Roman gladiator, out of 300. Gorgeous, buffed, oiled, shirtless stud in a leather kilt, or whatever that's called. The entire place stopped and stared from the time he entered, ordered, got his drink and left. Mmmmmmmm....

Posted by: dumbnhung | Nov 26, 2013 10:33:35 PM

9. This video sucked.

Posted by: dumbnhung | Nov 26, 2013 10:33:48 PM

10. Stupid. Pudgy white boys playing grown-up at a coffee shop. Zzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 27, 2013 1:29:57 AM

11. From the bitchy comments it seems like the readers of towleroad have no sense of fun. What a bunch of dowdy, humorless trolls you all have become. Sad.

Posted by: echoes | Nov 27, 2013 1:43:27 AM

12. Great! That was somewhat tedious but I wonder how many customers suddenly wanted a nice hot dog after the last "Spartacus" came in and announced himself though?

Posted by: Tom | Nov 27, 2013 2:46:19 AM

13. JACKFKNTWIST: Good point. As we all know, ancient Romans spoke English with the Received Pronunciation of the BBC.

Posted by: PAT | Nov 27, 2013 10:34:24 PM

14. Just read the comments, most of which were beyond bitchy. Y'all must be a laugh at parties...when you get invited.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 28, 2013 8:47:24 AM

15. @ PAT :
    I had the Irish accent of Colin Farrell more in mind from 'Alexander'. !!!....rather than the BBC.

@ DUMBHUNG :
    Sorry I missed that......but maybe he was a Spartan !......the 300.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 28, 2013 10:46:29 AM