Comments

1. Mike Ryan says

He was better at designing women’s clothes and it was far more lucrative then men’s clothing. Remember this was back in the law 60’s and early 70’s. By mid-70’s he started his own custom suit line (learning from Pierre Cardin) to the masses and held lucrative contracts with Joseph Magnin, Macy*s, Nordstroms and others.

2. says

YSL inspirational hero for me and everyone who sews.
    the greatest craftsman and innovator.
    consumate artist, passionate, perfectionist, poetic
    A dreamer, a true genius.
    Hope the film lives up to him

3. says

A great many gay men admire and are inspired by women JIMBRYANT. That doesn’t make them any less — or any ore — gay.

This looks good. it’s a great story of a shy, emotionally fragile man of enormous creativity, insight, sentitivity and above all taste (something that’s almost entirely vanished from fashion and everything else.)

The big question: Who will play Catherine Deneuve and Loulou de la Falaise?

4. Leroy Laflamme says

Biopics often fail because, when the subject enjoys icon status, it’s really difficult for an actor to manage a credible portrayal. Especially of the subject is still living – or recently deceased. For example, Naomi Watts might be a competent actress, but convincing the viewer that she’s Diana has obviously been a problem for many. And has any actor really managed to play JFK completely convincingly? I recently watched a French biopic on Sarkozy which was amazing, both because the actor looked so much like him, & because he’s a superb actor. I was surprised to find myself forgetting I was watching a biopic. The same goes for Michael Sheen, who plays Tony Blair in The Queen – striking likeness, good actor. (He’s also brilliant as the British comedian, Kenneth Williams). If this trailer is anything to go by, this French biopic looks like it’ll be a winner.

5. Leroy Laflamme says

Thanks for the reminder, BOND1965. I caught l’Amour Fou on TV & would love to watch it again. I’ve found the trailer on YouTube & hope I’ll be successful finding the full documentary.

6. tinkerbelle says

Yes, this doesn’t look as bad as I thought it might — interesting comment, as to who plays Deneuve and Loulou (if their characters are given any credence). I’m just wondering if Pierre Bergé has given his blessing on this as he is known for sueing a hat for being a hat. Unless he is a consultant (perhaps). Worth a look… and it’s good for people to see what real design and real designers are all about.