Bob Newhart | News | Television

Bob Newhart Cancels Appearance at Anti-LGBT Group's Annual Summit with Santorum, Donohue

Newhart

A message on Bob Newhart's Twitter account notes that the TV icon has canceled a scheduled appearance headlining an annual summit for the anti-LGBT Legatus Group alongside Rick Santorum and Bill Donohue.

Newhart tweeted:

Upcoming Bob Newhart Tour Date Change -- Bob will not be performing at the Legatus Summit in Orlando FL on February 6

No explanation was offered for the cancellation.

GLAAD writes:

There was no further statement given. However, it is possible that Newhart, like many people were unaware that Legatus was such a rabid anti-LGBT organization. The organization was created by former Domino's Pizza CEO, Thomas Monaghan, for Roman Catholic businesspeople, and membership is only available to top level executives...

...Two petitions were created, asking Newhart to reconsider his gig with Legatus. One, created by Faithful America, got about 17K sigs calling on Newhart to cancel his Legatus gig. The other was created on Change.org by a transgender comic and former Roman Catholic, who also asked Newhart to back out of the summit.

For more on the Legatus Group read HERE.

Comments

1. Thank you, Mr. Newhart.

Posted by: Andy | Dec 19, 2013 11:01:40 AM

2. Good for Bob. It's likely Newhart's people didn't realize exactly who was behind the event and thought it was a more generalized catholic organization.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Dec 19, 2013 11:03:18 AM

3. Well that's a relief.

I was astonished when I first heard about this because Bob Newhart has never taken any sort of political stand across the course of his long career -- much less a wackaloon homophobe one.

He must have been misinformed about the event initially, and then found out the truth thanks to everyone speaking up.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 19, 2013 11:05:57 AM

4. I'm very happy that I can go back to unreservedly loving Bob Newhart.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Dec 19, 2013 11:11:44 AM

5. Thank you, Bob! I was afraid I would need to find a new drinking game!

Posted by: Rad | Dec 19, 2013 11:28:35 AM

6. Good news. I've loved Bob Newhart since I was a kid. I'm happy I can keep doing so.

Posted by: jomicur | Dec 19, 2013 11:30:42 AM

7. I see it's possible that at least this one bigot has learned to shut his mouth. Insincere silence is at least not a hindrance.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 19, 2013 11:43:42 AM

8. Thank you, Bob Newhart!

Posted by: andrew | Dec 19, 2013 11:48:52 AM

9. I'd like to think Paul Rudnick's "In & Out" had something to do with this. Thank you for doing the right thing, Bob.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 19, 2013 11:54:17 AM

10. I wonder if those who condemned Bob as a homophobe will now retract their hateful comments... and... maybe apologize. Probably not.

Posted by: JimmyD | Dec 19, 2013 12:07:43 PM

11. Thank you. I always liked him.

Posted by: Patrick | Dec 19, 2013 12:09:33 PM

12. please take the time to thank him on his facebook page.

Posted by: lovethatbob | Dec 19, 2013 12:18:39 PM

13. This is a great example of how speaking up and speaking out can make a difference. I'm sure comics get booked all the time for corporate gigs and other conventions and have only the vaguest understanding of what the organization really is. Now he knows. His career is not going to collapse at this late point if his LGBTQ fans drop him, so I have no reason to assume he didn't back out for honorable reasons.

Posted by: CC | Dec 19, 2013 12:20:14 PM

14. JIMMYD: probably not. See UFFDA's lovely comment. You can always count on UFFDA for the most bitter comments.

Posted by: UGH | Dec 19, 2013 12:26:21 PM

15. Whoohoo! I knew that would happen. Let's see how this summit spins the announcement.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Dec 19, 2013 1:00:11 PM

16. Get out those Newhart re-runs! Its time to laugh with one of the funniest men in comedy!

Thanks BOB!

Posted by: Louis | Dec 19, 2013 1:29:59 PM

17. Love ya, Bob!

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 19, 2013 1:53:01 PM

18. BigotmoronUffdasayswhat?

Posted by: q | Dec 19, 2013 1:53:09 PM

19. I had originally thought that his agent did the booking because the price was right without thinking it through, and I'm guessing I was right about that. Bob Newhart and Alan Alda built their careers on being nice guys.

Posted by: anon | Dec 19, 2013 2:06:16 PM

20. "You're a what? A...a...a hate group? And what is it that you hate? Really! I...I...I...I... had no idea. And...and if I hate your hate group, do we cancel each other out? Or how...how does that work? Hello?"

Posted by: Bob | Dec 19, 2013 2:24:43 PM

21. A stand-up guy, as well as a stand-up comedian.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Dec 19, 2013 2:49:13 PM

22. Knew it.

Posted by: chris | Dec 19, 2013 3:38:20 PM

23. Thanks, Bob.

Posted by: Randy | Dec 19, 2013 3:49:09 PM

24. Thanks, Bob.
    After all the great laughs, speaking at legatus was not the way I want to think of you.
    The final scene of Newhart with you in bed with Suzanne Pleshette is the funniest scene i've ever seen on tv. I actually did fall off the couch!

Posted by: woody | Dec 19, 2013 3:50:08 PM

25. This comes as a relief. I can easily understand how an older catholic like Bob who is probably not acquainted or affiliated with the rightwing lunatic fringe of catholocism might be unaware of Legatus' darker side. There are, after all, millions of American catholics who ignore large portions of the catholic orthodoxy, including approved teachings and even their own pastor and bishop. I'll happily give him a pass on this one until and unless I have some evidence that he was actually culpable or in agreement with Legatus' fringier activities.

Posted by: homogenius | Dec 19, 2013 4:04:22 PM