Colorado | Football (American) | Gay Slurs | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Colorado State DL Football Coach Greg Lupfer Suspended for Anti-Gay Slur: VIDEO

Lupfer

Colorado State University defensive line coach Greg Lupfer has been suspended after using an anti-gay slur at Washington State Cougars quarterback Connor Halliday after Halliday nailed River Cracraft for a 25-yard touchdown.

The Coloradoan reports:

In addition to immediately being suspended without pay, Lupfer will go through mandatory anger management and diversity training in the sanctions ordered by Colorado State University athletic director Jack Graham.

Lupfer, CSU’s defensive line coach, was caught by ESPN cameras saying what appeared to be the words “f------ f----t” at Washington State quarterback Connor Halliday after Halliday threw a touchdown pass in the first half of CSU’s 48-45 win. Halliday was near the CSU bench after rolling out of the pocket to throw.

CBS Sports reports:

Lupfer has accepted the consequences and apologized in a prepared statement:

"I accept these consequences—two weeks without pay and the training programs—and I am thankful for this second chance to continue coaching at Colorado State and be a part of the Ram Family," Lupfer said. "I am deeply sorry for my behavior, which does not represent who I am or my values. I embrace the opportunity to participate in anger management and diversity sensitivity training. I was angry and careless with my words, and my words hurt many people. I sincerely apologize to the GLBTQ community for causing pain by using a slur without considering its meaning. I take ownership of my words and fully understand why people are very upset."

Wazzugif

(gif via SB Nation)

Comments

1. What a flawless apology. This happens so often now it may be a template that's being kept on file by sports personnel because they're all bound to need it sooner or later.

Posted by: Dave | Dec 24, 2013 2:11:36 PM

2. "I embrace the opportunity to participate in anger management and diversity sensitivity training."

Does anybody ever embrace this?

He doesn't need training. He knows what he did. ("I ... fully understand"). He just needs a hefty fine, with the proceeds going toward a GLBT youth sport charity.

Posted by: Randy | Dec 24, 2013 2:25:00 PM

3. Now that's an apology, which is a very good start and I'm sure will help things move forward in a positive way.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 24, 2013 2:35:38 PM

4. If he had said the n-word to a black player, he would've been FIRED and banned from coaching for life. I don't accept his apology. Anyone who says such things, even in the heat of the moment, shows what they really are. People don't change--they just learn to hide it better.

Posted by: atomic | Dec 24, 2013 2:36:06 PM

5. I recognize that his apology is far better than most of this type of cases

Posted by: jjose712 | Dec 24, 2013 2:37:32 PM

6. "If he had said the n-word to a black player, he would've been FIRED and banned from coaching for life. I don't accept his apology."

Agreed. These people only learn the hard way. Twenty bucks says he was saying "faggot" under his breath when he heard about the fine.

Posted by: P | Dec 24, 2013 2:44:55 PM

7. Wow, that PR firm wrote one hell of an apology. These firms are getting better at sounding like they are actually sincere.

Posted by: 604brian | Dec 24, 2013 2:50:23 PM

8. That's a great apology. Don't you wish you knew what he really thinks about his suspension and the requirement that he attend anger management and diversity sensitivity training? I would bet his thoughts are more like the comment he made to Cougars quarterback Connor Halliday.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 24, 2013 2:57:36 PM

9. Glib and insincere apology. Manipulative and flat.

Posted by: Kev C | Dec 24, 2013 3:18:01 PM

10. What you said, coach, certainly does represent who you are and your values. Be a man and own up.

Posted by: trees | Dec 24, 2013 3:21:59 PM

11. They should tie him up, blindfold him and make him read it like in a hostage video. That would make it more sincere.

Posted by: Chuck Phillé | Dec 24, 2013 3:33:09 PM

12. Amazing. that kind of ugliness rolls off their tongues like melted butter.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Dec 24, 2013 3:58:48 PM

13. I was confused by the headline: "Colorado State DL Football Coach . . . " I was wondering how we knew he was on the Down Low. In this case though I'm wondering why we needed it at all in the headline.

As to the act/apology . . . I sometimes think we make too much out of these things. Its good to call people on it; but lets not make a federal case out of it for a first offender.

Posted by: Alan | Dec 24, 2013 4:09:38 PM

14. The apology would be much better if he had actually written himself.

Posted by: Soren456 | Dec 24, 2013 4:10:35 PM

15. Part of being an adult is taking responsibility for one's actions. And another part is recognizing that, even though someone may harbor ill feelings towards a group, we can't control that; we can only attempt to influence what is acceptable for people to say in public.

He's apologized. It was a well-written apology, even if he didn't write it (does any public figure write anything for himself any more?), and now as a community we have a choice. We can accept it, and move on (while watching him for future outbreaks) or we can demand his scalp, which we may or may not get and which makes us look petty.

Posted by: Kevin M | Dec 24, 2013 5:11:14 PM

16. @Soren456 - I agree, and wonder if he even knows what all the letters in GLBTQ even stand for.

Posted by: Lexis | Dec 24, 2013 5:12:17 PM

17. What makes people think they can still get away with this idiotic language? Have people not learned their lesson yet?

Posted by: Reality | Dec 24, 2013 6:55:06 PM

18. DL = defensive line in this case, not down low.

Posted by: mrroboto | Dec 24, 2013 9:11:16 PM

19. That was one of the best apologies I've seen. I don't care who wrote it, the coach's name is on it. So much better than the "if my comments offended anyone, then I'm sorry" line from countless other statements for similar offenses.

Also, why is no one taking him at his word? Maybe, just maybe, he actually regrets saying what he said, and not just because it came with immediate consequences, but also because it actually did hurt people.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 25, 2013 12:50:04 AM

20. Someone needs to alert Sarah Palin about this quick so she can jump on it to defend his rights to free speech and religious expression. Girl has to do everything she can to keep her face in the media.

Posted by: crazycorgi | Dec 25, 2013 5:19:49 AM

21. THEY told me to say I'm sorry!

Posted by: billmiller | Dec 25, 2013 8:28:48 AM

22. George Orwell certainly writes a nifty apology.

Posted by: Mort | Dec 25, 2013 4:24:24 PM