I'm Gay | News | Tom Daley

BigGayDeal.com

British Diver Tom Daley Comes Out as Bisexual, Says He's Dating a Guy: VIDEO

Daley

British Olympic diver Tom Daley came out of the closet in a 5-minute video posted to his YouTube account today in which he says that some of the past statements he has made denying he is gay bothered him, so he wanted to speak out and feels it's time:

"Come spring this year my life changed massively when I met someone and they made me feel so happy, so safe, and everything just feels great - and well that someone is a guy. And it did take me by surprise a little bit. It was always in the back of my head that something like that could happen but it wasnt until the spring of this year that it clicked, felt right. Like I said, my whole world just changed, right there and then. And of course I still fancy girls but right now I'm dating a guy, and I just feel safe, and it really does just feel right. Is it a big deal? I don't think so."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. E Y E R O L L

Posted by: nico | Dec 2, 2013 8:13:05 AM

2. WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL. Now how do I become 40 years younger and meet him??

Posted by: SuperDan | Dec 2, 2013 8:19:48 AM

3. He's probably totally gay, but I think he wanted to start with 'bisexual' in order to let the fangirls down gently.

Posted by: Craig | Dec 2, 2013 8:20:18 AM

4. Good for you, Tom. You're figuring things out, and will be all the better for it.

Posted by: Lars | Dec 2, 2013 8:33:22 AM

5. Shocked. SHOCKED!

Posted by: Not Shocked | Dec 2, 2013 8:37:08 AM

6. He may end up "gay," he may actually be bisexual. Or he may be bisxual but never date a woman again...or he has no damn idea right now because for a young kid, prior to his teens, romance was not sexual and now he's discovering that he wants sex with men and (only?) men now that he is old enough and free enough to focus on those things. I am mostly interested in men, but even the thought of a wet v@gina makes me aroused and want to bury my face (and other things) in it...its a genuine sexual attraction that hasn't diminished at all the more men I am with. I date men twice as much as I do women, but when I am in a relationship with a woman, I am all in. I am sure a lot of people just assumed I was "on my way to Gay" or lying, but at 40, I am 100% sure of what I am and that is bi. So leave the kid alone and let him figure it out. He may genuinely believe himself to be bi now, or gay, or not know enough to be sure (he never says explicitly). Don't mar what sounds like a very special and exciting time in his life to force him to commit to anything he isn't ready to OR accuse him of lying. Let him explore, be happy, and settle on what works for him in life and labels.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Dec 2, 2013 8:37:16 AM

7. P.S.: Good for you, lad.

Posted by: Not Shocked | Dec 2, 2013 8:38:36 AM

8. Good for him.

And watch this space. He will NEVER date a woman.

He's only 19 so his 'bisexuality' is very likely to be a stepping stone to acknowledging his homosexuality.

Posted by: MaryM | Dec 2, 2013 8:42:49 AM

9. HOT!!

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 2, 2013 8:43:08 AM

10. What a surprise!

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 2, 2013 8:44:36 AM

11. I love you, Tom, gay, bi, or straight. I'll be cheering for you just as loudly as I can, still, because I couldn't cheer any louder if I tried. :)

Posted by: FreeRangeRadical | Dec 2, 2013 8:44:39 AM

12. I respect his journey and support him all the way. Life is too short and it's important to see that today he is in a happy relationship and I wish him all the best. Kudos for being honest!

Posted by: Josh | Dec 2, 2013 8:48:46 AM

13. @breckyroy your post was a fresh breeze here and I totally 100% agree with you. Why people make a big deal about bisexuality? I don' believe that everything must have to be black or white. I dated a bisex guy for a year and that relationship OPENED my eyes widely and shattered my notions about how a man or a woman must conduct their life regarding their perceived sexuality or romantical preferences.

Posted by: betocreativo | Dec 2, 2013 8:52:40 AM

14. I loved his comment "I feel safe, it really does just feel right". That struck me as so honest. I remember being so afraid of making a commitment to exploring what I knew deep inside I really was. And when I finally did I just remember this overwhelming sense of rightness. It made sense. I wish Tom all the happiness in the world and our community should embrace him.

Posted by: Bob | Dec 2, 2013 8:57:21 AM

15. Diving must be one of the most gay friendly sports.
    He is very young, and very popular in the UK, so this wasn't an easy step for him.

Congratulations and be happy, Tom

Posted by: jjose712 | Dec 2, 2013 9:00:12 AM

16. I hate that people are calling him gay when he clearly says he still fancies girls. Then turn around and wonder why bisexual men have a visibility problem. If he says he still likes girls, then accept that as the truth unless he tells you otherwise.

Anyway very happy for him, not very surprised but it's always great to have more visibility. I hope he does win Gold at Rio in 2016.

Posted by: Derrick | Dec 2, 2013 9:01:33 AM

17. My guess is that his agent has relented on the importance of endorsement contracts for his career and the need to appear totally str8 to get them. Olympic athletes have a very short endorsement value, generally only around the time of the Olympics for the biggest contracts. It's not a normal life at all.

Posted by: anon | Dec 2, 2013 9:03:51 AM

18. Not surprised at all. He is young and coming out so young is a brave thing to do. I wish him all the happiness.

Posted by: Matt27 | Dec 2, 2013 9:18:04 AM

19. He thought nobody knew?? Another typical delusional....

Posted by: Ankerich | Dec 2, 2013 9:24:04 AM

20. Bisexual? Me too.

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 2, 2013 9:26:56 AM

21. I just thought he was an exhibitionist. I'm gonna say his boyfriend is one lucky guy!

Posted by: Omar | Dec 2, 2013 9:28:22 AM

22. Good for him. People should have the freedom to pursuit their happiness, without eyerolls or oppression.

Posted by: Rafael | Dec 2, 2013 9:28:56 AM

23. @Ankerich

You're a pretty insufferable commenter I must say.

Posted by: Martin | Dec 2, 2013 9:29:26 AM

24. Well done Tom.
    I hope he has a great quiet supportive boyfriend, one who is never photographed and never gets caught up in all the celebrity stuff.
    Tom has always been a huge gay supporter.....I am delighted that he is finding his own way towards his own life. It hasn't been easy for many.....and being in the public glare where even your sexual orientation is a public talking point must be spiritually crushing.

As for bisexual, all that means is "I tried to be attracted to girls, but it doesn't quite cut it for me; now I've found this guy who is really great and attractive and loving......maybe I'm bi."

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 2, 2013 9:35:33 AM

25. PS :
    The fact that he says he feels safe with this boyfriend is wonderful......it's what it's all about.
    I am so pleased for him.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 2, 2013 9:39:28 AM