Duck Dynasty | News | Phil Robertson

'Duck Dynasty' Star Phil Robertson Speaks Out: 'Sexual Immorality is Number One' on List of Sins

Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson spoke out about the controversy surrounding his anti-gay remarks for the first time at the White's Ferry Road Church of Christ in West Monroe, Louisiana on Sunday, and the Daily Mail was given access.

P_2_robertsonSaid Robertson:

"I love all men and women. I am a lover of humanity, not a hater...I have been immoral, drunk, high. I ran with the wicked people for 28 years and I have run with the Jesus people since and the contrast is astounding. I tell people, "You are a sinner, we all are. Do you want to hear my story before I give you the bottom line on your story? ... Commonsense says we are not going to procreate the human race unless we have a man and a woman. From the beginning Jesus said, "It is a man and a woman." Adam was made and Eve was made for this reason. They left their fathers and mothers and be united to become one flesh, that’s what marriage is all about."

He added:

"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious. Sexual immorality, is number one on the list. How many ways can we sin sexually? My goodness. You open up that can of worms and people will be mad at you over it. I am just reading what was written over 2000 years ago. Those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom. All I did was quote from the scriptures, but they just didn’t know it. Whether I said it, or they read it, what’s the difference? The sins are the same, humans haven’t changed. If you give them the bad news, they’ll start kicking and screaming. But you love them more than you fear them, so you tell them."

Jesus will take sins away, if you’re a homosexual he’ll take it away, if you’re an adulterer, if you’re a liar, what’s the difference? If you break one sin you may as well break them all. If we lose our morality, we will lose our country. It will happen. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could all walk around without stealing from each other and killing each other? Why don’t we just love each other enough that we wouldn’t want to do these things to each other?

Robertson said he would not take back his remarks and stay the course:

"I will not give or back off from my path because you conquered death, Father, so we are not worried about all the repercussions."

Comments

1. Dumb bigoted redneck, the true face of south and GOP.

Posted by: litper | Dec 23, 2013 10:32:55 AM

2. somebody give him a skirt he's really rockin the crossed legs look.. maybe he'd shave and feel more comfortable with himself.

Posted by: NE1 | Dec 23, 2013 10:33:34 AM

3. Phil: Go duck yourself

Posted by: Tristram | Dec 23, 2013 10:34:30 AM

4. Does anyone really care what this piece of trash thinks?

Posted by: John Freeman | Dec 23, 2013 10:42:06 AM

5. There are no gods. There are no sins. We are not cave-dwellers who need myths to explain the world around us.

This is the 21st Century; it's way past time to put away the fairy tales and grow up.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Dec 23, 2013 10:46:35 AM

6. Few if any are qualified to have an opinion about LGBT lives except LGBT men, women and children themselves. This man is an ignorant liar and does not have a valid point of view.

Posted by: Christophe | Dec 23, 2013 10:46:36 AM

7. If marriage is only for procreation, Phil, a fool, should we have a pre-marital test for fertility for men & women? Those barren or impotent wouldn't be allowed to marry? I think marriage is a sacrament between two people who love each other. The person I love most in this world, and to whom I am engaged, is another man. Should I be denied the right to happiness because you think some entity that abides in the sky says so...or should I follow my heart and accept the love of my husband.

Posted by: dam846201 | Dec 23, 2013 10:47:29 AM

8. He has obviously not read the book he claims to quote. Further, he makes the quite ignorant assumption that sexual orientation constitutes a "sin" like drinking, doing drugs, etc. I'll give him credit for his claims to have made major changes in his life, but he errs in assuming that all deviations have equal value and equal ease in their changing -- i.e., he buys the lie of "free will."

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Dec 23, 2013 10:48:46 AM

9. This is all a calculated publicity stunt, designed to garner eyeballs and ratings. Is this guy a raving redneck bigot? Absolutely! But, his handlers are making hay of it and turning him into a conservative icon while lining their pockets. Seriously, it's time to turn off the tv.

Posted by: bluedogjim | Dec 23, 2013 10:49:10 AM

10. Number one on what list? His, of course... because there ain't no such list in the Bible.

Not that it would matter if there were.

This is a good example of a biblically justifiable but no longer socially acceptable bias. He exercised his freedom of speech to spew this drivel, and many are exercising theirs to point out what a fool he is. My plan is to ignore this person and his wretched television show, and to move forward with my life without devoting too much attention to the brouhaha surrounding him.

Posted by: The Milkman | Dec 23, 2013 10:51:00 AM

11. In other words Robertson is saying "I'm not really a Christian nor do I really know the Bible. I'm just a bigoted hater casting stones and hiding behind the Bible to perpetuate my hate."

You are no Christian Robertson. You can stop pretending.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 23, 2013 10:51:21 AM

12. Oy vey!

Posted by: Gerry | Dec 23, 2013 10:56:28 AM

13. Let me give you the bottom line on my story Phil: My civil rights are not subject to your religious views.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Dec 23, 2013 10:56:33 AM

14. Phil ought to realize that his opinions on morality are entirely his own and he's just stepping on the toes of others.

Posted by: anon | Dec 23, 2013 10:57:47 AM

15. @bluedogjim You hit the nail on the head. It's so obvious now... and of course our media just keeps giving his non-event endless amounts of publicity. Andy, you should just stop posting this...what is going on in Utah is definitely newsworthy... this isn't.

Posted by: Gerry | Dec 23, 2013 10:59:50 AM

16. Keynote speaker at the 2016 GOP National Convention.

Posted by: Rad | Dec 23, 2013 11:01:07 AM

17. Here is what gets me, there is no question that gay folk, such as myself, were born this way. It is NOT a choice. Period. From the moment of conception I was gay.

We do not choose this attribute, just like we cannot choose the color of our skin, eyes, hair, height, etc. God made each of us each in his image, we are all his children.

I will never accept that God does not want me to be exactly the way he created me and I believe he wants me to be happy. Until the day I die I will never understand mankind's ignorance and resistance on the issue of homosexuality.

It is more that heartbreaking that so many others have prevented us from having full and equal lives.

Posted by: Max | Dec 23, 2013 11:02:20 AM

18. Because sex is worse than murder.

Posted by: David | Dec 23, 2013 11:03:25 AM

19. The multimillionaire man who makes money off selling mixed fabrics, makes a spectacle of himself while praying and encouraged idolatry of himself and his family who also hoards his wealth instead of feeding the hungry and helping the less fortunate is now a right wing religious icon? Im shocked! Lmao

With good "Christian" ardent followers of the bible, wink wink, like the Duck Dynasty clan it is no wonder faith groups are losing members left and right.

Posted by: mickey | Dec 23, 2013 11:03:37 AM

20. He is entitled to his opinions, but we are entitled to react to them. My reaction: Sometimes silence is your best friend.

Posted by: Matt27 | Dec 23, 2013 11:11:25 AM

21. Yes, sexual immorality is the biggest sin. Not greed, not violence, not lying, not murder, not abuse of authority, not turning the temple into a marketplace, not any of the things Jesus Christ actually went around talking about. It's sexual immorality. Because Phil Robertson said so. And (like Saul/Paul who never met Jesus) he knows better than Christ what makes a Christian.

Seriously, though, somebody needs to ask Phil Robertson quickly about his view of women. Because if he's as strict a Paulian as he's claiming to be, then he also must believe Paul's proclamations about women being subservient and not allowed to hold positions of power. Get him on record about women, and let's add another demographic that he'll infuriate. Or if he declines to talk about that, let's ask him why the one verse from Paul that seems to be about homosexuality applies (seems to be, note, as there's even a debate about what Paul's specifically speaking about in Romans 1 per translation), but not the several verses where Paul says that women must shut up and let men have all the power.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Dec 23, 2013 11:11:30 AM

22. "I am just reading what was written 2000 years ago." That pretty much says it all. The lack of any kind of awareness is comical, actually.

Posted by: Joe | Dec 23, 2013 11:12:03 AM

23. Enough with this ass##le
    Where is the Aaron Rodgers alledged boyfriend story ?

Posted by: Kim | Dec 23, 2013 11:12:06 AM

24. Who cares. People see what they want to see in people that they surround themselves with. There are honest and good people with and without the 'brand' of Christianity. On the flip side there are those cloaked in the robe of Christianity who are more deceitful, divisive, and destructive than any secular source.

I can respect a decision to follow a faith. However even Jesus didn't go into all the detail mentioned above. That's not God talking, that's you.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Dec 23, 2013 11:25:27 AM

25. "It is a man and a woman. Adam was made and Eve was made for this reason. They left their fathers and mothers and be united to become one flesh, that’s what marriage is all about."

Hey Phil; Neither Adam Nor Eve had a Mother or Father!

And there is a list; The Ten Commandments, Donkey.

And NOT ONE OF THOSE COMMANDMENTS SPEAK OF HOMOSEXUALITY.

So unless YOU THINK YOU KNOW more than God or Moses, or YOU THINK YOU are CHOSEN to rewrite the Ten Commandments for the entire world...

...you should keep your big fat ignorant Gob shut!

LyingilliteratelowinfoNOMSTOOGEsayswhat?