Bill Cunningham | Fashion Men | News

Young Men are Pioneering a New Futurism in Fashion, Says Bill Cunningham: VIDEO

Future

Fashion's leading man-on-the-street, the NYT icon Bill Cunningham, says that men are leading women when it comes to futurism and high tech in fashion.

Find out all about the look from the always-entertaining guru, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_future

Comments

1. "Fashion" has always seemed such a pathetic contrivance to me. Design of clothing and accessories should, in my somewhat puritanical opinion, make practical things interesting and generally attractive, build on consumers' good attributes and not simply create bizarre and frequently unwearable clutter. I wouldn't have been invited to Versailles or Versace.

Posted by: gregorybrown | Dec 10, 2013 9:31:20 AM

2. Nice shirt dress.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 10, 2013 9:35:47 AM

3. I don't get the *futuristic* aspect. There have always been people who dress oddly.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Dec 10, 2013 9:49:04 AM

4. Tennis shoes, plaid suit and gold lamé?

Posted by: Raybob | Dec 10, 2013 10:08:41 AM

5. Bill rocks. Fashion is like football - either you get it or you don't.

Posted by: Tristram | Dec 10, 2013 10:21:08 AM

6. Only in New York. They'd get rocks thrown at them in homophobic attacks anywhere else.

Posted by: QJ201 | Dec 10, 2013 10:21:31 AM

7. I'm all for freedom of expression but these guys dress like clowns.

Posted by: keating | Dec 10, 2013 10:38:03 AM

8. LOOK AT ME! NOTICE MEEEEE!!!!!!

Posted by: roberth | Dec 10, 2013 10:47:26 AM

9. @roberth - Isn't that the whole point of fashion?

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Dec 10, 2013 10:57:27 AM

10. It's all very, "best costume for the day".

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Dec 10, 2013 11:02:11 AM

11. Funny how most of these pictures are of the same couple guys. This isn't a trend. It's called "young people like attention and like to look different" and it's been happening FOREVER. Kudos to Bill Cunningham for finally reaching the age where this suddenly seems novel again.

Every time I watch/read a piece like this by I think of "History Repeating" by Propellerheads/Dame Shirley Bassey.

Posted by: Daniel | Dec 10, 2013 11:07:07 AM

12. well, I admire courage when and wherever I see it...even if I don't understand.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 10, 2013 11:09:01 AM

13. That's exactly it, Derrick.

Posted by: ger | Dec 10, 2013 11:21:48 AM

14. It's almost like the early 80s all over again. Contest of who can dress the oddest...

Posted by: johnny | Dec 10, 2013 11:46:34 AM

15. New York hasn't been cool cutting edge or futuristic for years. If you really want to see people with any sense of cool or urban edginess then you really need to look at the way people dress in Tokyo, Sao Paulo, London or Paris. Sorry New York but you are starting to look provincial. All those luxury high rises, brunches,Sephoras and Banana republics have turned New York into quite a bland mediocre kind of place.

Posted by: mike | Dec 10, 2013 11:51:13 AM

16. In the Future, Fashion will make men as well as women uncomfortable and ridiculous.

Posted by: verbocityeric | Dec 10, 2013 12:29:24 PM

17. Bill Cunningham is awesome. Great doc about him on netflix.

Posted by: DrKRL | Dec 10, 2013 12:31:24 PM

18. Art. *Love* the polka dots near the end.

Posted by: Bernard | Dec 10, 2013 1:28:21 PM

19. It's true. I see younger guys of all races/orientations rocking really innovative, wearable fashions these days. The more interesting style seems to be coming from men these days.

Posted by: Clay | Dec 10, 2013 1:36:13 PM

20. Sorry to be cynical, but I have to add to QJ & Derrick's post to point out it's not really courageous to dress this way in Manhattan. I've seen people more or less looking like this every time I've been there since the 1980s, and any random Interview or Paper magazine in the past 30 years had street photography with people like this. In fact when I was in college in the mid 1990s my roommate (who was straight but not narrow) and I cut a bunch of pictures out of Interview of Japanese raver kids and poseurs and stuck them to our dorm room door as "ironic" decoration.

Dressing this way in Mobile, Alabama? That would take some balls.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Dec 10, 2013 2:01:26 PM

21. Too funny...that spaceship is from the new animated series, Rick and Morty (created by guys associated with Adventure Time and Community). It's not part of some futuristic trend in fashion. This gives you a sense of how clueless Bill Cunningham really is - but we still love that dear little old man and his "observations". How adorable.

Posted by: Mayer | Dec 10, 2013 2:38:05 PM

22. The Leisure Suits of the future have arrived in NYC. They'll be in the Goodwill bin before you know it.

Posted by: thepolarbeast | Dec 10, 2013 2:38:21 PM

23. This does look like a hybrid of 80's and early 90's fashion to me.

Posted by: Thurts | Dec 10, 2013 6:19:45 PM

24. Isn't fashion supposed to be sexy?

Posted by: Rotundra | Dec 10, 2013 9:54:21 PM