Books | Morrissey | News

Gay Details Removed from U.S. Version of Morrissey Autobiography

3_morrissey

A two-year relationship Morrissey had with photographer Jake Owen Walters has been edited out of the version of Smiths frontman Morrissey's Autobiography published in the U.S. by G.P. Putnam, SPIN reports:

MorrisseyWhen the book first hit shelves in the U.K. via Penguin Classics, one of the major revelations came via the anecdotes that detailed Moz's time spent with the man. Though the book didn't specify whether they were lovers, the author's fondness is quite clear.

SPIN reports that not only does the U.S. edition remove a photograph of Walters as a boy included in the UK version, it also deletes other details:

It also seems Walters' name has been removed from a story about a night out with Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde. WENN reports that these are two of "many details" that have been modified or redacted for this version of Autobiography. The two-year relationship, which inspired Moz to dub himself humasexual, took place in the mid-'90s.

Comments

1. That's gross, but I'm still not convinced I should give a crap about Morrissey. Everything posted about him, here, makes him sound like a tool.

Posted by: FFS | Dec 4, 2013 11:09:14 PM

2. If an autobiography is edited by someone else, is it still an autobiography?

Will there be a second edition later? LOL

Posted by: Randy | Dec 4, 2013 11:17:12 PM

3. I might be outraged if I cared, but only MIGHT BE. Clearly there's an agenda at play here, and given my general lack of interest in the subject to begin with, I don't know that even the motivation behind the edits is bothersome.

Posted by: Jerry | Dec 4, 2013 11:24:50 PM

4. If true, this makes no sense. It's not like the US is Ghana or Russia or something. Besides just any question of integrity, any Morrisey fan wouldn't care and/or would expect this stuff in the book.

Posted by: emjayay | Dec 4, 2013 11:25:32 PM

5. Liberal publishers in the USA can't cope with male homosexuality.

Posted by: ASam | Dec 4, 2013 11:29:25 PM

6. I wonder if Moz knew about, had control over, or approved these edits. I wasn't planning to read the book, and I certainly won't now.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 4, 2013 11:52:23 PM

7. Though brilliant at his thing, the photos posted here make tne man look like an ass and this editing of his story makes no sense at all.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 5, 2013 12:13:23 AM

8. Good one, Rick! I actually laughed out loud at that. Heh, "liberal publishers." Haha.

I forgot to say it on Thanksgiving, but I'm so thankful for your unique brand of lunacy. It brings such joy to my life.

Posted by: FFS | Dec 5, 2013 2:12:28 AM

9. Liberal? Time to up your meds dude!

Posted by: MATTPAUL | Dec 5, 2013 2:36:59 AM

10. Yes, only a conservative publisher would have the balls to publish it. Eye roll at you ASAM/RICK.

Posted by: MATTPAUL | Dec 5, 2013 2:39:04 AM

11. Morrissey, who cares?

Posted by: andrew | Dec 5, 2013 2:57:49 AM

12. Moz is a self-loathing narcissist - instead of buying his book everyone should go out and have a delicious bacon cheeseburger!

Posted by: Tadpolicus Wex | Dec 5, 2013 5:48:37 AM

13. FFS - I have to say that did sound like Rick and your comment was perfect. Still, there are other paranoids out there and ASSAM could be one of them...who also needs meds.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 5, 2013 6:06:56 AM

14. I vote for the "delicious bacon cheeseburger" instead of buying this "edited for children" book.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Dec 5, 2013 6:39:05 AM

15. @Tadpolicus Wex

Make mine a veal burger please.

Posted by: Petes | Dec 5, 2013 7:20:39 AM

16. Instead of Moz-bashing, we should focus on why a US publisher is censoring such a bland account of what may or may have not been a romantic and sexual relationship. Morrissey's book is bland in comparison to other books that have any sort of erotic or sexual content. What are people afraid of? Remember the First Amendment?

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 5, 2013 7:33:22 AM

17. Pathetic

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Dec 5, 2013 7:54:06 AM

18. Everyone interested in Moz knows not only that he's gay but a leather bottom.

Striaght U.S. editors go berserk when it comes to Teh Ghey. I am currently reading Leonard Bernstein's letters. Fascinating stuff. But the editor declares at the start that Felicia "was the love of his life" when it's clear she was but ONE of them. Lenny was Really Something Else. He wanted to take his then-boyfriend Farley Granger (lucky Lenny) with him on the trip to South America where he was to propose to Felicia! Farley, luckily was busy making movies.
    Aaron Copland was a rollicking gay wit. Very funny stuff from him about cruising Hollywood blvd. in the late 30's. Much fun in Lenny's missives to Sondheim. He tells him he hopes he's getting some loving regularly and "in bed."

And BTW do not so much as THINK of missing the HBO Sondheim doc on the 9th. Great moments of Steve and his boyfriend on vacation in it among many other things.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 5, 2013 9:23:43 AM

19. Surely you must mean pleather bottom?

Posted by: crispy | Dec 5, 2013 9:34:05 AM

20. It will cost a bit more, but if you order the book from Amazon.co.uk you'll bet the British version.

Amazon.co.uk is the reason I own a copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, which is good because there never was any such thing as a Sorcerer's Stone

Posted by: Elsewhere1010 | Dec 5, 2013 10:25:10 AM

21. "PLEATHER BOTTOM?!?" ROTFLMAO!!! I DIE!!!

Oh, that is my new favorite term. My new favoritest term in the whole of the whole wide world!

Posted by: FFS | Dec 5, 2013 10:28:57 AM

22. This is hardly unprecedented. Back in the 80s, Joan Collins wrote an autobiography, "Past Imperfect", that sold well in the UK. After she had her Dynasty comeback in the US, it got published for the American market: minus her 2-year affair with Harry Belafonte in the late 1950s, because, well, the South. She was really pissed off, so once it was on the shelves, she made sure to tell the left out chapter on every book tour interview. Gotta love that Joan.

I suspect in Morrissey's case, the other party may have demanded the redaction. Otherwise, why bother nowadays?

Posted by: MFinBH | Dec 5, 2013 10:32:00 AM

23. You take the good, You take the bad,
    You take them both, and there you have,
    The Facts Of Life.

Posted by: Edd | Dec 5, 2013 10:38:21 AM

24. It's EHRENSTEIN again, chasing after movie stars, saying sh** about entertainers, slathering up to writers, composers, notable people of talent dead or alive. Bleh...the life of a voyer parasite.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 5, 2013 11:18:59 AM