I'm Gay | News

BigGayDeal.com

GMA's Robin Roberts Comes Out, Acknowledges Longtime Girlfriend

RobertsCelebrating her one year anniversary of reaching the "critical milestone" of 100 days post-bone marrow transplant, GMA host Robin Roberts took to Facebook today to reflect on her journey and for the first time publicly acknowledged her longtime girlfriend, Amber Laign. Mediabistro reports:

Roberts has been out to her family, friends and co-workers for years, but this is the first time she’s publicly acknowledged her sexuality.

"I am grateful for my entire family, my long time girlfriend, Amber, and friends as we prepare to celebrate a glorious new year together."

Roberts and Laign have been together for 10 years. Laign, a massage therapist who works with patients recovering from injuries, is originally from the San Francisco Bay Area.

year ago today, Roberts reached the 100 day mark following her bone marrow transplant. Her posting today is a message of thanks for all who helped her along the way.

You can read Robert's full Facebook post, HERE.

Comments

1. How could she participate in years of gay-marriage and bullying news without revealing herself? That coming-out took way too long. Some lost soul might have been encouraged by having her as a role model.

Posted by: Richard | Dec 29, 2013 6:08:45 PM

2. Sam, Now Robin.... Do you suppose --- Nah, George would be too much to hope for. JK!

I always thought Robin might be a lesbian, glad she did come out.

Posted by: AdamTh | Dec 29, 2013 6:10:43 PM

3. Finally, there is at least one more to go! my love/lust David Muir.

Posted by: Andy Towlette | Dec 29, 2013 6:45:47 PM

4. What?

Really?

Next they'll be telling us that Liberace was gay.

Congratulations to Robin on her extremely belated and completely unsurprising coming out.

Posted by: MaryM | Dec 29, 2013 6:47:47 PM

5. What?

Really?

Next they'll be telling us that Liberace was gay.

Posted by: MaryM | Dec 29, 2013 6:47:47 PM

6. Huh? I thought she came out a long time ago.

I never thought she WASN'T a lesbian.

Big yawn.

Posted by: Rick From Philly | Dec 29, 2013 6:57:35 PM

7. Wow, with all these warm and supportive messages from the LGBT community, it's amazing to me that she's never publicly come out. *rolls eyes*

First everyone in these comments complains when a celebrity doesn't come out, then you complain when they do.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 29, 2013 7:00:15 PM

8. Rick from Philly? That's a new one!

@MaryM: Why do you think her goal was to surprise you? Her
    statement was about gratitude about being alive. Within that she was grateful for her long-time girlfriend. Nothing indicates that she was hoping to shock the public with a news flash that she's a lesbian.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 29, 2013 7:02:28 PM

9. She's a class act all the way.

Posted by: Tom | Dec 29, 2013 7:08:18 PM

10. Ernie - my point was that her coming out is a complete non-surprise.

Good for her.

But if this becomes a major news story (which I predict it will) then I hope she is asked what took her so long.

Posted by: MaryM | Dec 29, 2013 7:16:51 PM

11. Congratulations to her for making it public. As we know, a tremendous weight has been lifted from her shoulders and she can be herself.

It must have been very uncomfortable for her not to recognize the support of her long time girlfriend when she was undergoing the treatments over the years she has experienced and made very public.

Posted by: the other Ken | Dec 29, 2013 7:48:27 PM

12. @Richard:
    I dunno...

JOURNALISTIC PROFESSIONALISM?

A journalist's job is to report the news, not become part of the story.

Posted by: Jerry | Dec 29, 2013 8:35:28 PM

13. Everybody's on their own journey. I'm grateful that she's alive and thankful for the graciousness and class she's shown to the world during a time of great stress in her life. Now that she wants to celebrate her joys with the world, I say thank you and congratulations to Robin.

Posted by: stranded | Dec 29, 2013 8:36:38 PM

14. @MaryM: I understood your point.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 29, 2013 8:43:32 PM

15. A person's job is to be open and honest and provide support and inspiration to those who are struggling. That trumps a journalist's job.

Posted by: Richard | Dec 29, 2013 9:10:45 PM

16. Adamth:
    Yes, how about George? There have been rumors. But he is married to woman. You can never tell.

Posted by: simon | Dec 29, 2013 9:35:16 PM

17. About time! It was really awkward during all her struggles to watch her go on and on about her family and how they helped & not once hear her mention her girlfriend. Then when Sam Champion came out...still nothing. I just assumed she was single at the time, but to find she has a 10-year relationship and nary a mention. I know it's her choice but I guess the struggle with being gay was harder to acknowledge than having cancer. Can you imagine anyone else on GMA going through the same struggle and NOT mentioning a spouse/partner from the get go! It seems like America was allowed to take part in her struggle/recovery but not her girlfriend. Now she should do a special about THAT

Posted by: BuckeyeWxGuy | Dec 29, 2013 9:37:05 PM

18. I think the longer one is in the closet the harder it is to come out. Especially when your job is so dependent on public perception.

That said- can anyone honestly say this wasn't obvious. And its not as if she ever had a sham marriage or pretended to be straight.

I'm happy that she did this on her own terms & half surprised it wasn't fodder for the Enquirer or the like.

Posted by: robroy | Dec 29, 2013 10:39:08 PM

19. Simon:
    I was just kidding with that comment about George. But that is my argument when someone makes the claim about Gays "converting" people to be gay. I always say "If that was possible, some lucky guy would have converted George Stephanopoulos 20 years ago!" George has always been nice to look at, but I've never seen the slightest indication he might be Gay.

Posted by: AdamTh | Dec 29, 2013 10:40:15 PM

20. The first time I saw Robin on TV I said Gay. Big deal. She chose career over shouting.
    You go gurl!

Posted by: Herman | Dec 30, 2013 12:35:56 AM

21. Good for her coming out, finally.

Posted by: Matt27 | Dec 30, 2013 3:23:38 AM

22. Almost all the comments on her facebook page are supportive and positive, but there are enough horrible nasty ones that it makes you shake your head. This woman doesn't have a mean bone in her body and yet there are Bible thumpers migrating to her page to condemn her to Hell.

Posted by: will | Dec 30, 2013 3:55:01 AM

23. Good for Robin,those who know her knew... and I believe being gay does not make anyone better then the next person. The fact she has now outed herself is the proper way to inform the public. She has been a top rated TV news personality for years and it's nice to know she was judged on her work ethic,not who she sleeps with. I hope someday, that the world looks at us as normal and in most cases good people. I outed myself nationally in 1977,however I always been a one man army. We have marched for gay,human,equal rights and we are getting closer. That is all I really want. At least now the closet door seems to be the thing of the past. Cheers for Robin,she was paid to report the news and for that she has won many awards and the hearts of people gay and straight.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | Dec 30, 2013 9:23:14 AM

24. Good for Robin. Now what I am following and waiting to hear more of is a rumor that Aaron Rogers QB of Green Bay Packers is gay.

Posted by: Tom | Dec 30, 2013 9:43:44 AM

25. Well the comments Im hearing on the radio are mixed.GMA will lose some viewers down here.I am in TX.She probably waited until her mother died .They are from Missisippi.

Posted by: Kim | Dec 30, 2013 10:43:50 AM