New York | News

Gay Diversity Trainer Won't Have Racism in Harlem Barbershop in Emotional 'What Would You Do?' — VIDEO

Wwyd

In an recently-aired emotional segment of ABC News' hidden camera show What Would You Do?, Marsha Bonner, an HR executive and diversity trainer who is also a lesbian, took matters into her own hands when she was confronted with racism at Harlem barber shop Denny Moe's.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_wwyd

Comments

1. Wow. Amazing response - she's an amazing woman.

Posted by: Christopher | Dec 11, 2013 10:01:52 AM

2. lol why was this changed to "gay diversity trainer" from "black lesbian"?

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 11, 2013 10:08:51 AM

3. Beautiful!

Posted by: Jim | Dec 11, 2013 10:13:42 AM

4. excellent video

Posted by: disgusted american | Dec 11, 2013 10:14:46 AM

5. The white woman wasn't experiencing racism, white people can't experience racism in a white dominated society. She experienced prejudice and discrimination, not racism. There is a difference. Racism is institutional and woven into the fabric of society. The only people in this country who endure that are people of color because white people set it up like that hundreds of years ago. White people can't endure racism because they are part of the group of people with power and privilege.

Posted by: Derrick | Dec 11, 2013 10:26:12 AM

6. @Derrick, awesome comment, I think that is like 5 that I have seen from you that are just great. Thanks for commenting here.

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 11, 2013 10:31:30 AM

7. Derrick--I'm glad someone understands the difference! :)

Posted by: Daniel | Dec 11, 2013 10:32:32 AM

8. @Derrick..."The white woman wasn't experiencing racism, white people can't experience racism in a white dominated society." LOL. So only white people are ever racist???

Posted by: Ted | Dec 11, 2013 10:37:18 AM

9. @ Derrick,

LOL. You don't know how many times I've been called a racist on this blog, and called a "snow queen" by some Black Gays for being a "regular" on Towleroad.

Anyway, I'm very proud of those folks in that barbershop.

That young blonde sure got treated better than I did in Black barbershops--but that was a while ago. I had to learn to cut my own hair. LOL

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 11, 2013 10:44:56 AM

10. The Oxford English Dictionary defines racism as the “belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races” and the expression of such prejudice.

Posted by: Patrick | Dec 11, 2013 11:00:21 AM

11. @ both Derricks
    Thank you for both your comments. and thank you, Derrick for pointing out the difference.

Posted by: gwynethcornrow | Dec 11, 2013 11:00:25 AM

12. Wow Derrick, white people can't experience racism? So being white isn't a race? You're ignorant.

Posted by: Dex | Dec 11, 2013 11:00:26 AM

13. Derrick - that's a common argument amongst people interested in social justice, but I think it's misguided. Racism means discrimination and prejudice on the basis of one's race - which is clearly the case here. How I think the argument should be redefined is people in a dominant majority can't be *oppressed*, but they can be victims of racism. Racism is just a classification of a type of prejudice. Straight people can be victims of heterophobia, but they can't be oppressed by gay people. I'm not sure why the term "racism" is being used for the word "oppression."

Posted by: JJJJJJ | Dec 11, 2013 11:02:36 AM

14. The power of love! Amen.

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 11, 2013 11:09:27 AM

15. Regarding the people to stood up, I hope they are on our side when it comes to Gay rights. We need more people like them in all communties.
    And this should also be a lesson to non-black people on how to act to a bigot in their group.

Posted by: 1♥ | Dec 11, 2013 11:39:52 AM

16. That one guy had it right. It's about being ignorant. All prejudice at its root is ignorant.

Posted by: Liam | Dec 11, 2013 11:39:59 AM

17. Do the people arguing, nobody cares that you don't get it.

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 11, 2013 11:45:48 AM

18. Got me teared up.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 11, 2013 12:10:25 PM

19. Thank God that ABC is drawing attention to this kind of horrible discrimination that is such a plague on blonde white women.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Dec 11, 2013 12:11:33 PM

20. Hate is hate It shouldn't matter who had it worse or when. Pain is pain. It's not a contest and somebody's else's pain doesn't make yours any less real.

Posted by: matt | Dec 11, 2013 12:18:23 PM

21. Beautiful response. I wish I could honestly say I would always be so bold, rational, and eloquent and speak up when I see ugly situations like that. I hope to grow to have that much grace.

Posted by: Patrick | Dec 11, 2013 12:20:21 PM

22. lol @ white people not getting the point. Take a sociology class people.

Posted by: Derrick | Dec 11, 2013 1:06:17 PM

23. Derrick, I understand what you are saying, but if you look at any definition of racism, Websters, Oxford, you will see that anyone can experience racism. An African-American can be a racist as much as anyone else. You can't change the meanings of words just because a sociology teacher said so.

Posted by: Mawm | Dec 11, 2013 1:27:26 PM

24. Great story. Very touching. And people like Derrick have no idea what they're talking about. The woman was white, the actress playing the part didn't like her because she is white, that is racism.

Posted by: Bobby | Dec 11, 2013 1:37:15 PM

25. You don't EVEN want me to get into the entire question of who codifies the English language, who assigns definitions o the meanings of words and why they assign them...

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Dec 11, 2013 1:45:09 PM