Film | Jim Parsons | Julia Roberts | Larry Kramer | Mark Ruffalo | News

HBO Promo Reveals First Footage from 'The Normal Heart': VIDEO

Normalheart

Certainly one of the most highly anticipated gay media moments next year is the film adaptation of Larry Kramer's The Normal Heart, which features a star-studded cast including Mark Ruffalo, Jim Parsons, Taylor Kitsch, Matt Bomer, and Julia Roberts.

Ruffalo_bomer

Over the weekend we posted the first images from the film, but now, at the end of a new HBO promo comes some intriguing footage of the stars.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_normaleheart

Comments

1. Millions got to experience Angels in America thanks to the team at HBO, and I'm thrilled that millions will be able to experience this landmark work. Thank You, Larry Kramer.

It might be the most powerful stage play I've yet seen, literally counting the days til this airs.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 16, 2013 11:39:37 AM

2. This is an amazing work, and it's a shame it's taken this long to have it produced on the screen for a wider audience. Kudos to HBO and I second Kiwi's thank you (for many reasons) to Larry Kramer.

Posted by: The Milkman | Dec 16, 2013 11:46:46 AM

3. It's hard to picture Jim Parsons as anyone but Sheldon Cooper.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 16, 2013 11:48:33 AM

4. Little Kiwi, what is the date of the premiere?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Dec 16, 2013 11:50:54 AM

5. @ Little Kiwi - I did not get a chance to see the stage production, so I'm looking forward to the HBO production.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 16, 2013 12:08:31 PM

6. They're anticipating a likely spring 2014 premiere, from what I've been told.

The stage play is incendiary - I guarantee you'll never see a show where the entire audience is as connected as they are when watching this show. Act II in particular is a punishing, and justified, assault on the heart. Mickey has a monologue in the second act that begins an outright avalanche of emotion that continues til the very last moment.

It's been opened-up for the screen, so expect to see a lot of monologues translated into fully fleshed-out scenes.

And yet, as I know I said before, despite the intense sociopolitical content of the show , at its core is really is a tremendously moving love story.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 16, 2013 12:12:38 PM

7. Can't wait!

Posted by: Gerry | Dec 16, 2013 12:29:24 PM

8. If Kramer would have followed STREISAND's advice, it would have been done 15 years ago.. She tried to make it...

Posted by: me! | Dec 16, 2013 12:56:00 PM

9. First footage, first photos? I saw photos from this production of The Normal Heart months ago. Nice try and photos, though.

Posted by: David From Canada | Dec 16, 2013 1:02:52 PM

10. Remember, the Hulk is always angry.

Posted by: anon | Dec 16, 2013 1:23:10 PM

11. It has taken a long time to get made, but finally the wait is over.

Posted by: Matt27 | Dec 16, 2013 1:45:39 PM

12. More importantly, first look at Game of Thrones season four!

Posted by: crispy | Dec 16, 2013 2:26:03 PM

13. Just looking at that footage makes me a basketcase. Can't wait! Like someone said it's a lovestory at the core. Hopefully people baised against gays will see that love is love not matter what.

That Matt Bomer and Ruffalo shot is too beautiful for words. Matt's beauty is something else!
    And Jim Parsons...oh yeah!

Posted by: Nina | Dec 16, 2013 2:32:48 PM

14. Mark Ruffalo + Matt Bomer. Yummy.

Posted by: Marty | Dec 16, 2013 2:58:07 PM

15. @ LITTLT KIWI :
    Have you seen 'The Beauty Queen of Leenane' ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 16, 2013 2:58:24 PM

16. I saw Angels in America when it originally came out......Broadway, I think, I was younger, there was the smoke of revolt in the air.......
    And I struggled to know and absorb what was going on.
    I look forward to seeing the "The Normal Heart".
    From this perspective now I can see what happened, the tragedy, the pity of it all......as Owen would have said.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 16, 2013 3:36:29 PM

17. I should also point out that many people have criticized this work because of its complete absence of any people of color. However, while it is true that this work involves an all-white cast and does not deal with minority concerns at all, I view that as a strength, not a weakness.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 16, 2013 3:54:06 PM

18. Troll, you'll have to do better than that. I know you have no balls, I know you have no life, and I know you're a racist sack of crap - and for the record the film version does not have an all-white cast, which I'd know, because I was around for some of the shooting.

Seriously, Troll Who Is Obsessed With Me, may this Christmas season find your racist self face-down in a ditch.

Seriously. Your obsession with me is indicative of how disturbed you are. Psychotic racist wimp.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 16, 2013 4:03:34 PM

19. Just be unflappable with that troll who is ONLY a poor excuse for a human being. You are so advanced by comparison that it is absurd Little Kiwi . . .

Posted by: Mike | Dec 16, 2013 6:39:44 PM

20. I don't really want to get in the middle of this ongoing feud with the various posters here, but it does seem that the play and the movie are about white gay men. It does not deal with the HIV epidemic in Africa or Haiti or among minority IVDUs. So whoever posted that comment above was right. HBO may have thrown in an actor of color to avoid embarrassment, but that hardly solves the problem. It is pretty insensitive of the white supposedly progressive folks here to dismiss this and praise the film.

Posted by: Lionel | Dec 16, 2013 6:52:56 PM

21. Kiwi, you were there for some of the shooting? As what, a coffee gopher?

That is the extent of your "acting" career, isn't it girl? Your only onscreen work consists of an uncredited appearance in a scene 12 years ago where you had one line and they didn't even show your face. (And no, I am not obsessed with you honey. You mentioned this yourself a while back.)

All that money on performing arts school and this is what you have to show for it. Sad!

Posted by: Gigi | Dec 16, 2013 7:01:29 PM

22. Looks like someone (MIKE) is in LOVE with Little Kiwi!

Posted by: JBH | Dec 16, 2013 7:11:02 PM

23. "When I saw the play in 1985 I was very moved and immediately contacted Larry to acquire the rights. After going through several drafts with Larry, I hired another writer to develop a screenplay that was faithful to Larry's play—but adapting it to make it more cinematic."

Babs thinks she knows Larry better than Larry knows Larry. Really stupid of her.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 16, 2013 7:20:34 PM

24. "Make it more cinematic" = Cast Jason as Ned Weeks.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 16, 2013 7:21:16 PM