Comments

1. Adam says

The future is looking bleaker by the minute. I don’t want to live in a world where delivery drones, and spy drones (some tiny as an insect), are buzzing all around me. Then there are those awful google glasses. Nobody will have any privacy left and the sky will be full of machines.

2. Merv says

Sounds great to me. I just ordered something from Amazon, and it would be nice not having to wait three days for delivery. I’m sure some will speculate that it’s a front for a government spy drone operation, which isn’t that far fetched since Howard Hughes’ high-profile 1970s manganese nodule sea mining experiment was revealed to have actually been a spy ship.

3. Eric says

As some Amazon warehouse workers have already stated elsewhere on the internet, on a good day they can get items from the warehouse ready for traditional trucks in two hours. We’re not going to half 30-minute delivery any time soon. Also, since Amazon is known to treat it’s warehouse workers like crap, I can’t imagine how much worse this is going to make their lives.

As for our lives, I also don’t want to see drones flying around everywhere. Call it “drone pollution” if you will. Interestingly, apparently drone deliveries are already being done by another company, in China, of all places. In between the pollution and drones flying everywhere, some of their skies must look incredibly dystopian.

There is also, of course, the privacy issue, since an Amazon division already has several huge contracts with government agencies, including the CIA, to provide them with cloud storage.

4. Bryan L says

Has Bezos not considered people with weapons shooting these down…or dogs and thieves getting to the delivery before the recipient can rush out the door to grab it first…or the irritating noise…or the weather (lightning, high winds, torrential rain)…or hackers redirecting the flight plans…or complete mechanical failure and these things plummeting into traffic? And what about customers who don’t have private front yards? Think harder, Jeff.

5. K says

Coming soon to your neighborhood: Drone pollution. Let’s all agree to throw rocks at them or shoot them down. I will.

6. Merv says

The video looked like the delivery was being made to the back yard, which would probably be a little more secure. Also, if it made a vertical descent, it would be harder to shoot down.

7. Jack M says

You just know that in the rural areas they will be using these buggers for target practice. Shoot one down and get a free gift!

8. Mike says

“ADAM”, etcetera aka RICK I do not remember anyone asking YOU to “live in a world” of the future with something NEW [gasp!] like green technology replacing some of the air polluting delivery trucks, extravagantly wasting fuel, similarly wasting time, reducing traffic, contributing to accidents and adding wear on highways and streets. In the meantime you will be SAFE trolling from your parents basement.

Bezos said that this beneficial use of drones was MANY years off giving them sufficient time to work on ALL of the inherent problems. Have a feeling that ancestors of yours were resisting ANYTHING innovative and were the last human ancestors to inhabit caves and the last ones out.

Tell me have you excepted the use of the wheel yet? What about fire for cooking? You have vision of a true blind man. Gee, with a little effort you could almost be as forward thinking as a Republican . . .

9. Eric says

@MIKE

I’m a professional software engineer living in San Francisco, and have been on the leading edge of technology for at least the last 30 years since I started programming IBM mainframes when I was 18 years old. I totally agree with ADAM.

Just because we *can* do something, doesn’t mean we *should* do something, or do something in every way possible to increase profit. In the drive to get every single cent of profit imaginable, especially in the US, we are increasingly short-sighted, only focusing on the profits for the next quarter, and, in turn, destroying our world, and our society.

10. tominsf says

I don’t know my mailman very well, but he seems like a nice guy, and I’d hate to see him decapitated by one of these things on my front porch while he was shoving my electric bill through my mail slot.

The assumption that this technology would be energy saving is kind of ridiculous. Just keeping something airborne is a huge energy waster, and sending out many individual delivery vehicles (the drones) from a central point is going to use a huge amount of energy, compared with the economy of scale of a single delivery truck carrying hundreds of packages.

Yes, a lot of technical people (and I’m an engineer myself) suffer from the idea that just because something is possible, it needs to be done.

But in the end, I think this is mostly PR.

11. UGH says

I guess it would work if everyone lived in close vicinty of an Amazon warehouse, but I don’t think that is possible.